Wilco - Jackson Hole Music Festival 8/16/08

Great show in Teton Village. The weather was perfect, especially when the sun went down and the guys could actually see. Seeing Brian Wilson was also a treat.

Here's the setlist:

Remember the Mountain

Company in my Back

You Are My face

Side with the Seeds

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Handshake Drugs

Shot in The Arm

Blood of the Lamb (w/Paul Mertens on clarinet)

Hummingbird

Impossible Germany

California Stars (dedicated to Brian Wilson)

Pot Kettle Black

Jesus, Etc.

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Poor Places

Spiders

------------------

Kingpin

------------------

Hoodoo Voodoo

Looking forward to the Avetts tomorrow.

Venue shot:

HollandFest084.jpg

Brian Wilson and Band:

HollandFest092.jpg

Wilco

HollandFest096.jpg

HollandFest094.jpg

HollandFest103.jpg

Great show in Teton Village. The weather was perfect, especially when the sun went and the guys could actually see. Seeing Brian Wilson was also a treat.

Thanks for keeping track of the set, T! Glad to hear you guys had/are having a good time. :thumbup

So Paul Mertens was there, but not the other Total Pros? That's interesting. Cool that you got to hear "Blood of the Lamb." And two encores at a fest? Not bad. Take any pictures?

P.S. Glad you guys caught Brian Wilson as well. Did he do Love and Mercy? I'm betting not since he's got a new record coming out, plus people want to hear the hits. I saw him a month ago and it was kind of sad actually because he just sort of seemed very old. He barely played the keyboard he had in front of him, and he seemed confused when leaving the stage. I'd be interested to hear your guys' experience.

Wish I could have gotten to the aftershow at the Mangy Moose but we had our kids with us (their first show!) and we had to get back to the campsite.

Haha, I love the names of these places when Wilco plays out-of-the-way towns...Moose's Tooth, Mangy Moose. Maybe there could be a moose-themed tour! :thumbup

I've never used this so I think this link will take you to some photos of the Jackson Hole weekend. Jeff kindly referred to the locals as "J-Holes". Wish I could have gotten to the aftershow at the Mangy Moose but we had our kids with us (their first show!) and we had to get back to the campsite. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29662327@N04/

Thanks for the pics. It looks positively idyllic - a fine place to camp and hike and then crack open a beer and smoke a doobie while listening to Wilco!

As for Kingpin, it went a little like, "Livin' in... Jackson...hole" with "hole" being a bit of a trailer. As a previous poster mentioned, there were many "J-hole" jokes during the night. Early on, Jeff asked the locals what people call them, and someone shouted out, "J-HOLES!" That was all the permission he needed. Kingpin did require some significant training for the J-holes, though.

As for Brian Wilson, it was actually quite sad. He had his keyboard in front of him, but he didn't touch it the whole set, and he didn't sing more than 40% of the time. It was definitely a Beach Boys Review, but the crowd had a lot of fun and there was a lot of dancing by people of all ages. I didn't realize Mertens played sax with Wilson--I'm not sure if that's a regular gig or not. When the festival line-up was first announced, I was hoping for Love & Mercy, but once I saw Wilson on stage I knew it wasn't going to happen. The 8 or 9 musicians around him were definitely the only things keeping him up there, and he often looked bewildered.

Jeff did dedicate California Stars to Wilson--I forgot to note that in my original set list posting.

I've never used this so I think this link will take you to some photos of the Jackson Hole weekend. Jeff kindly referred to the locals as "J-Holes". Wish I could have gotten to the aftershow at the Mangy Moose but we had our kids with us (their first show!) and we had to get back to the campsite. Enjoy.

Cool shots! Did you randomly run into John while hiking?! Jackson Hole is aweomse! I need to go back!

Thanks for posting those photos. Can't remember the last time Jeff performed in a T-shirt and without a jacket of some sort. :thumbup

As for Brian Wilson, it was actually quite sad. He had his keyboard in front of him, but he didn't touch it the whole set, and he didn't sing more than 40% of the time. It was definitely a Beach Boys Review, but the crowd had a lot of fun and there was a lot of dancing by people of all ages. I didn't realize Mertens played sax with Wilson--I'm not sure if that's a regular gig or not. When the festival line-up was first announced, I was hoping for Love & Mercy, but once I saw Wilson on stage I knew it wasn't going to happen. The 8 or 9 musicians around him were definitely the only things keeping him up there, and he often looked bewildered.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like the show I saw last month. I remember him actually singing more, but his keyboard was definitely there for appearance sake because he hardly touched it. Same with a bass guitar that someone put on him for one song. You almost have to see him on stage to really understand the state he seems to be in right now, don't you think Tamala? Bewildered is a good word. :(

I don't think the show I saw had horns, though, so at least you guys got a bonus there with Mertens, et al. Glad you guys were able to make it out there... :thumbup

cool pics! Wilco, camping, and hanging with the kids all in 1 night...the best. How did they dig their first show? I'm waiting for a safe outdoor venue to take My little girl :music

What did the aftershow consist of at the Mangy??

Nothing, really. A local band (Dark Cheddar? :brow Something with "cheddar" in it. A WI girl never forgets the use of "cheddar") played, and then there were rumors swirling that the Crowes may show up to perform if they "were up for it." It never happened.

god i wish i could have gone to this festival... Jackson Hole is prolly my favorite place on earth... haven't been there for a while either

It was a great festival: one stage, a natural amphitheater (although they could ratchet the stage up about 5 or 6 more feet to make it better for people farther back), and obviously a beautiful setting. I'm sure there will be a "Second Annual" in 09.

[quote name='bb

cool pics! Wilco, camping, and hanging with the kids all in 1 night...the best. How did they dig their first show? I'm waiting for a safe outdoor venue to take My little girl :music

They absolutely loved it. I've never seen anything like the dancing my five year old daughter displayed during Spiders. I'll never forget that! When I found out they were done at 8 it seemed like the perfect road trip since the kids love'em.

I love Jackson Hole! The pictures are all so beautiful!

What you guys describe Brian Wilson like now, is exactly what I witnessed about 2 years ago seeing him on tour following the re-release of Smile. It was still a great show and, seriously, what a great band supporting him. So this seems to me to be his baseline status.

And the Total Pros horn player does have a regular gig with Brian Wilson:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=33825

Here's the players:

Me, Dave Max Crawford- Trumpet. I play in a band called Poi dog Pondering, and also Archer Prewitt's band, and I was the touring keyboardist for the Sea and Cake for a while. I wrote the arrangements, and talked Wilco into letting me do more and more songs every day at soundcheck.

Paul Mertens- Bari sax/clarinet. He is an absolutely amazing musician. I used to play with him in Poi dog Pondering. Now his main gig, among many others, is with Brian Wilson.

Mickey Laymon- Trombone (Friday, Monday and Wednesday)- I met him while playing for the M's, a great band from here in Chicago.

Nick Broste- Trombone (Saturday, and Tuesday)- He plays with Mucca Pazza, an awesome circus-punk marching band.

Becca- (alto sax)- A friend of Nels from Denver who happened to have her sax with her, so we roped her into playing. I'd never met her before this weekend, but she was great, and sight-read everything perfectly.

Cheers,

Max

Did anybody see Son Volt?

I love Jackson Hole! The pictures are all so beautiful!

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=33825

No, but I heard they were atrocious as always. Someone who was there said they were the absolute low point of the show on Sunday. It's funny how when Uncle Tupelo split I always thought Son Volt would be the one to really hit stardom. Completely irrelevant and who cares about my opinion but the two Son Volt shows I have seen rank down there in the worst two shows I have ever seen in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say they are down there with Stone Temple Pilots (the third worst show). I was so pissed when I went to see SV a second time....I should have known better.

We saw Son Volt, and I didn't find them "atrocious." I've seen them a few times, and I thought Farrar was the most comfortable I've seen him. I was saying to someone else that, while he wasn't smiling, he didn't look as irritated as usual. Also, he interacted with the audience more than during other shows I've seen. The mix at the beginning of their set was awful, but by the third or fourth song it was much better. After I saw them last year, I said I wouldn't go out of my way to see them play solo again because the show was so melancholy. Farrar was a grump, and I ended up sitting down 1/3 of the way into the set because I felt deflated. Their show in Jackson was a huge improvement over that, so while it was the lowest energy show of the day (vs. Avetts, Robert Randolph, Ben Harper, Crowes), it was still a decent Son Volt show based on my limited experience.

They closed with Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?" which was great.

Edit: Ha, Wendy! I just pasted that link for someone the other day! I guess I should have re-read it myself.

No, but I heard they were atrocious as always. Someone who was there said they were the absolute low point of the show on Sunday. It's funny how when Uncle Tupelo split I always thought Son Volt would be the one to really hit stardom. Completely irrelevant and who cares about my opinion but the two Son Volt shows I have seen rank down there in the worst two shows I have ever seen in my life. I am not exaggerating when I say they are down there with Stone Temple Pilots (the third worst show). I was so pissed when I went to see SV a second time....I should have known better.

I've heard some of their bootlegs and the music sounds good, just not much energy. I totally agree with STP suck statement. I wasted 30 minutes of my life in the 90's watching the first song of 3 different shows.