86 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you identify yourself as?

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Other

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the real saint.

thanks bobbob... really, the people that haven't been giving of their time and money previously are the real heroes. I'm just taking what I learn on this message forum and putting it to good work. I am going to use the money that I save to post even more stuff on the internet!! That's what will really make a difference.

Can we try to keep this a legitimate discussion, not get too personal, and not take everyone's arguments to the illogical extreme, please?

How about trying to find some middle ground on some of these issues?

If the teaching of abstinence is such a crime in your eyes as it perpetuates poverty, all humanitarian aid of any sort short of a widespread project to establish an effective agricultural system should be viewed with similar disdain, since all they do, in the end is perpetuate poverty.

You are going to criticize her good deeds for their outcomes, but when it comes to the third world, it has become increasingly difficult to do good without some sort of negative effect at the end. Does this mean nobody should try?

You have become the king of putting words in my mouth that were never there to begin with.

That's not really a response, to what I think is a legitimate point.

If she's to be criticized for her work with charity because she, in your eyes, did nothing but perpetuate poverty, how does that differ from pretty much every other sort of humanitarian aid which, in the end, perpetuates poverty?

I may not have the means to teach a nation birth control. However, I can provide funds to organizations that do as well as organizations that can help those in need.

Regardless of motive, helping people is a good thing. Mother Theresa was an exemplary person and not one that should be looked at with disdain and "disgust" regardless of your religious or other views.

Can we try to keep this a legitimate discussion, not get too personal, and not take everyone's arguments to the illogical extreme, please?

_44289425_refdisengagegi416.jpg

You mean you haven't tripped over world literacy rates in all your studies?

No asshole. Grains, goats, bananas, plantains, poppys -- CASH CROPS -- attempting to feed themselves and providing $ in order to pay for their Internet service so they can learn from your posts.

Today

Regardless of motive, helping people is a good thing.

while i completely agree, this (IMO) is the root of the debate at hand in this thread. it's also the thing that frustrates me in these seemingly never ending debates on the merits/evils of faith/religion. i've said it before, nobody...NOBODY...has an official pie chart of any sort that shows the exact split of people affected postively or negatively from religious efforts. even less quantifiable is how the concept of faith has helped people through less tangible struggles in their lives. we've established that both good/bad have been done in god's name...but is

my faith is personal...until it's challenged/categorized unfairly and i'm lumped into a stereotyped group because of it. which, seems to be what is happening here on at least a monthly basis. as someone who does believe God exists, i've never told anybody what they should or shouldn't believe when it comes to their own beliefs/non-beliefs...it doesn't seem to be the case for, at least a certain handful of, folks who don't.

My Catholic toes get sick of being stepped on.

I'm fine with people having whatever beliefs they have. I just get sick of all of the world's problems being blamed on the Catholic church.

Poverty was a problem BEFORE birth control was invented. It will always be a problem regardless of the Catholic church's stance on birth control.

My Catholic toes get sick of being stepped on.

I'm fine with people having whatever beliefs they have. I just get sick of all of the world's problems being blamed on the Catholic church.

Poverty was a problem BEFORE birth control was invented. It will always be a problem regardless of the Catholic church's stance on birth control.

To be fair - a lot worse than toe stepping has been perpetrated by the Catholic Church

Not being a Catholic, I don't really know what goes on there, but it has always seemed to me to be a strongly hierarchical organization. I suppose irked parishioners could vote with their feet, as some people I know have done.

A lot do leave the church and that's completely ok with me. If being Catholic isn't for you then more power to you. Just don't try to bring the rest of us down who are quite happy being where we are...

(Not directed at you, Dan)

A lot do leave the church and that's completely ok with me. If being Catholic isn't for you then more power to you. Just don't try to bring the rest of us down who are quite happy being where we are...

(Not directed at you, Dan)

It's OK. Both my mom and my dad's families are all Catholic up until my dad's mom switching to Episcopalian (Catholic Lite). My mom I don't think goes to Mass, but she is really into St. Kateri Tekawitha, as my mom is half-Mohawk.