VC Book Club: Devil in the White City

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

I'm going to suggest that we hold off discussion for a week while everyone starts reading. Do we want to ask people to finish the book before we start, or discuss sections of the book separately?

I think we should read Parts I and II the first week, which is about half of the book. Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

So let's say a week from tomorrow, Monday September 1, we'll kick-off discussion of the first half, and then if that was about the right pace for everyone, we'll do the same a week later for the second half.

Edit: see posts below. We're pushing the start of the discussion back to Monday, September 8.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

I'm going to suggest that we hold off discussion for a week while everyone starts reading. Do we want to ask people to finish the book before we start, or discuss sections of the book separately?

I think we should read Parts I and II the first week, which is about half of the book. Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

So let's say a week from tomorrow, Monday September 1, we'll kick-off discussion of the first half, and then if that was about the right pace for everyone, we'll do the same a week later for the second half.

Isn't Sept. 1 Labor Day?

I second that. There's no way I'll have time to read and really appreciate 200 pages by the time I can get the book, even though I'm a pretty quick reader. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I think it sounds really fascinating, and since I've been reading a lot of nonfiction this year, this seems like a good book for me to pick up.

Thanks for postponing it. I still have to get the book and our local library only has the large print version and I can't stand to read large print. I'm not going to be able to buy it until the weekend, but I read super fast so I won't be behind.

Yeah, there's definitely no rush on this. I just wanted to put some timeframe on it, rather than leaving it completely open-ended. We can check in again next week and see where everyone stands.

I was poring over the map in the front of the book in the checkout, and trying to figure out how many of those buildings are still standing.

Just one -- the Palace of Fine Arts is now the Museum of Science and Industry. And the Midway is more or less a big park now. You'll find out what happened to the rest of the fair at the end of the book. :shifty

I'm totally gonna join you guys on this discussion. This book changed my academic focus and broadened my historical studies. And if any of you notice Erik Larson is speaking near you, go see him. He's an excellent speaker and really nice guy!

You'll find out what happened to the rest of the fair at the end of the book. :shifty

I was just going to say...

Despite the fact that this is historical non-fiction, let's try to keep "spoilers" to a minimum please, particularly since we're going to do this in two sections. Even for those of us who've read the book before, let's discuss the first half of the book first, and as much as possible, hold off of getting into "what happens next" until we're discussing the second half. For folks who don't live in Chicago, especially, some of the history will be information that we didn't have previously.

Thanks!

Just one -- the Palace of Fine Arts is now the Museum of Science and Industry. And the Midway is more or less a big park now. You'll find out what happened to the rest of the fair at the end of the book. :shifty

I'm totally gonna join you guys on this discussion. This book changed my academic focus and broadened my historical studies. And if any of you notice Erik Larson is speaking near you, go see him. He's an excellent speaker and really nice guy!

I recognized the museum, I was just wondering about a few of the buildings in the foreground.

He's got a pretty straightforward writing style in how he weaves together the content he's citing into his narrative.

Technically, the Chicago Art Institute survived too....

also there's this:

Two other significant buildings survived the fair. The first is the Norway pavilion, a building preserved at a museum called Little Norway in Blue Mounds, Wisconsin. The second is the Maine State Building, designed by Charles Sumner Frost, which was purchased by the Ricker family of Poland Spring, Maine. They moved the building to their resort to serve as a library and art gallery.

But, of the buildings that are actually LABELED on the map in the book, none.