10 Essential Alt-country Albums

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to hear the Gary/Marc album that is coming out.
Yea, me too. I found Gary's latest underwhelming, but pleasant and I bought Marc's newest (the deluxe addition) and never listened to it (well I did SEE him...)

LouieB

Yea, me too. I found Gary's latest underwhelming, but pleasant and I bought Marc's newest (the deluxe addition) and never listened to it (well I did SEE him...)

LouieB

I think I snagged Gary's album and listened to it - did not care for it. I have never really heard any of Marc's solo stuff.

Marc's newest (the deluxe addition) and never listened to it (well I did SEE him...)

LouieB

that one about how he screwed up his marriage that Orkie went on and on about on

all the music boards that haven't banned him?

I think I snagged Gary's album and listened to it - did not care for it. I have never really heard any of Marc's solo stuff.

I really loved December's Child.

I would say the Jayhawks are certainly alt.country, although not Wilco beyond AM. There is a reason they are called the Jayhawks afterall and their connection to the Byrds, CSNY is undeniable. If you are sick of that kind of music you would certainly be tired of the Jayhawks.

Bloodshot has now branched out into more soul and other types of stuff including picking up older artists trying to reinvent themselves (as Graham Parker did nicely with Bloodshot and certainly which Alejandro did as well.)

LouieB

What about these:

Sound of Lies (1997)

Smile (2000)

In various reviews of Rainy Day Music - the following bands were often mentioned - "(the) Byrds, CSNY, and Poco, the post-Gram Parsons Burrito Brothers".

I suppose if I were to get more picky - I would say that The Jayhawks did not really fit the definition of alt. country in a lot of ways, and in fact, were more like the country rock bands of the early 70s, at least until they went for a more commercial mainstream sound.

I have been listening to Beachwood Sparks recently - and they invoke that time period also I think. Although, at Wikipedia, they are listed as a "indie rock band from Los Angeles".

I saw them on the HTH tour I believe.....that experience pretty much sealed the deal.....never paid them any mind since. To me, it sounds like trite MOR stuff.

Interesting - I saw them upon for The Allman Brothers Band. Usually, people seem to prefer those albums, or Sound of Lies - I have noticed over the years.

Some stuff I like that I think could get the alt.country stamp (if I ever cared about that), starting from the 90's:

Freakwater, Amy Allison, Neko Case, Steve Earle, Mary Gauthier, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Mark Olson/The Creekdippers, Steve Young, Haley Bonar, Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy, Jay Munly...

PS: Steve Young started way before the 90's, but he's original enough to be called "alternative"

Smile was my first Jayhawks experience and I really didn't dig it at all. it wasn't until last year that I listened to Rainy Day Music and got it, so to speak. Went backwards from there. still can't stand Smile. ha.

I like it quite a bit... not my favorite but many great songs on it. Mr. Wilson and Better Days come to mind.

The album is definitely a bit of a stretch for them but some of it works pretty dang well.

Funny...but it is really very offensive.

Eurotrash spoofing on Southern culture is akin to doofuses wearing blackface.