10 Essential Alt-country Albums

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you hate William Carlos Williams?

Williams' most anthologized poem is "The Red Wheelbarrow", considered an example of the Imagist movement's style and principles (see also "This Is Just To Say"). However, Williams, like his associate Ezra Pound, had long ago rejected the imagist movement by the time this poem was published as part of Spring and All in 1923. Williams is more strongly associated with the American Modernist movement in literature, and saw his poetic project as a distinctly American one; he sought to renew language through the fresh, raw idiom that grew out of America's cultural and social heterogeneity, at the same time freeing it from what he saw as the worn-out language of British and European culture.

Williams tried to invent an entirely fresh form, an American form of poetry whose subject matter was centered on everyday circumstances of life and the lives of common people. He then came up with the concept of the variable foot evolved from years of visual and auditory sampling of his world from the first person perspective as a part of the day in the life as a physician. The variable foot is rooted within the multi-faceted American Idiom. This discovery was a part of his keen observation of how radio and newspaper influenced how people communicated and represents the "machine made out of words" (as he described a poem in the introduction to his book, The Wedge) just as the mechanistic motions of a city can become a consciousness. Williams didn

Just like Uncle Tupelo's No Depression, right?

They just named a magazine about the subject and the whole damn movement after that raucous motha of a record.

So Uncle Tupelo is "most alt.country"?

By the way, "Blue Earth" was released before "No Depression", contains no punk elements and is the better record.

It's rather unfortunate that you gather your knowledge from the internet. You can come up with countless links to prove your point. Townes = country, folk, and blues. The categorization of "alt.country" doesn't fit here. Nice try, but your way off. Throw a 'D' on the beginning of the name too please.

Don't overheat your Honda, Cortez. You might miss that Urban Outfitters sale tomorrow.

So Uncle Tupelo is "most alt.country"?

By the way, "Blue Earth" was released before "No Depression", contains no punk elements and is the better record.

Not saying that Blue Earth didn't come first, but that does not change the fact that the second half of my assertion is true.

Also, I disagree with you regarding Blue Earth being better. I like it, but it's not a better record than No Depression.

41PBBT4KMGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not sure if you guys have heard this one. This is an absolutely essential album. Fall somewhere between alt-country and alt-Rock with a capital "R".

Blasphemer.jpg

As much as I like the Jayhawks I have always found Blue Earth irritating. I sure doesn't beat out No Depression in my book and is NOT essential.

LouieB

Everyone is allowed to be a moron at least once. "Two Angels", "Five Cups of Coffee" and "Martin's Song" are better than anything Tupelo ever recorded.

Everyone is allowed to be a moron at least once. "Two Angels", "Five Cups of Coffee" and "Martin's Song" are better than anything Tupelo ever recorded.

"Two Angels" and "Martin's Song" have better versions on Hollywood Town Hall.

And as much as I do love those songs, the veracity of your statement, Orkie, is beyond questionable.

this begs the question. have you ever listened to Uncle Tupelo? i mean really, teh fuck?