10 Essential Alt-country Albums

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, whatever...there are many segments of alt.country we have yet to even talk about. It is a pretty large broad category at this point, at least 15 or more years on....

Me personally, The Bottle Rockets, The Brooklyn Side is in the top 10 as is Cowboy in Flames by the Waco Brothers.

LouieB

Me personally, The Bottle Rockets, The Brooklyn Side is in the top 10 LouieB

that i can agree with

You are all wrong, guys. I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd invented Alt.Country.

This is the truth!!!!!! And you can't beat a "High Fidelity" quote every now and then. Incidentally, the first time I ever heard Wilco, they reminded me somehow of The Floyd (not that Wilco could be called Alt Country, of course).

The first time I heard IATTBYH my first thought was, "this is what Syd Barrett records might sound like if he were still making them".

As much as I like the Jayhawks I have always found Blue Earth irritating. I sure doesn't beat out No Depression in my book and is NOT essential.

LouieB

I never considered the Jayhawks as essential. In fact, I just considered them boring. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my humble opinion.

I never considered the Jayhawks as essential. In fact, I just considered them boring. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my humble opinion.

yeah, i'm with paul b

i don't dislike the jayhawks and occasionally enjoy them as background music

listenable ... just boring & completely non-essential ...

almost muzak-ish

but ya know, nice harmonies and arrangements ... pleasant enough stuff

yeah, i'm with paul b

i don't dislike the jayhawks and occasionally enjoy them as background music

listenable ... just boring & completely non-essential ...

almost muzak-ish

but ya know, nice harmonies and arrangements ... pleasant enough stuff

Strange opinon considering Hollywood Town Hall is widely considered the finest alt.country record.

Hollywood Town Hall bores me. Some tunes of Tomorrow The Green Grass are fine. But essentially, they're a kind of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young revival. Nothing new under the sun.

On the other hand, I really love Mark Olson's solo stuff, especially the latest few albums. Nothing new either, but emotionally, it does something to me.

I would say the Jayhawks are certainly alt.country, although not Wilco beyond AM. There is a reason they are called the Jayhawks afterall and their connection to the Byrds, CSNY is undeniable. If you are sick of that kind of music you would certainly be tired of the Jayhawks.

Bloodshot has now branched out into more soul and other types of stuff including picking up older artists trying to reinvent themselves (as Graham Parker did nicely with Bloodshot and certainly which Alejandro did as well.)

LouieB

I would say the Jayhawks are certainly alt.country, although not Wilco beyond AM. There is a reason they are called the Jayhawks afterall and their connection to the Byrds, CSNY is undeniable. If you are sick of that kind of music you would certainly be tired of the Jayhawks.

Bloodshot has now branched out into more soul and other types of stuff including picking up older artists trying to reinvent themselves (as Graham Parker did nicely with Bloodshot and certainly which Alejandro did as well.)

LouieB

I am curious to hear the Gary/Marc album that is coming out.