• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone score tickets? I see the going rate online is around $300 per ticket. Anyone going? I'm praying for a simulcast and waiting for the tour.

Nope, but if there are Deer Creek shows this summer we should all have a VC summit there. :thumbup

Anyone score tickets? I see the going rate online is around $300 per ticket. Anyone going? I'm praying for a simulcast and waiting for the tour.

I used to travel all over the southeast to see them from about 93 to 98 and then marriage, kids, life, etc... and I fell out of the loop and saw them once since 1998.

Because I was out of the loop, I actually didn't know about the pre-sale and didn't find out about the on-sale until the Thursday before when I spoke to a friend (about something unrelated) that I use to travel to shows with. I told him I would try for the Saturday show and he said why don't you try for all 3 nights.

I gave it a shot and TM showed my wait time at about 3 minutes at first and then after about 90 seconds it came up with two 3 day passes. Just pure luck. I assumed tix would go quick but I've been out of the scene for so long that I didn't realize demand would be so high. I didn't bother calling my friend until later that afternoon and he was floored that I actually was able to get tix as the other dozen or so people that he knew that were trying came up completely empty.

Predictions for the first song?

I remember wasting a lot of time when the post hiatus shows were announced on this issue. No one picked Piper. And when they played Piper, everyone realized it was the perfect way to come back. That sloooowwwww build to euphoria!! Just an(other) example of why they were so great.

I remember wasting a lot of time when the post hiatus shows were announced on this issue. No one picked Piper. And when they played Piper, everyone realized it was the perfect way to come back. That sloooowwwww build to euphoria!! Just an(other) example of why they were so great.

given trey's recent comments about wanting to play YEM everyday for the rest of his life, i am hoping that they band is practicing their asses off and will open with a tight YEM>Divided Sky>Slave>Reba>Harpua>Harry>Harpua>Highway To Hell... :stunned

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Icculus (with a rap about having to come back to save our lives! :stunned

I wwent to that MSG show last reunion and while the energy was fantastic when the lights went down, I don't think i need to do it again. Hampton is just too far. I will wait for Red Rocks.

As for the first tune, I think they should play either a new tune and make a clean start, Fluffhead (which, by their inability to play it, became sort a symbol for their lack of practice post-hiatus), The Curtain (the curtain fell, now it goes back up), or my favorite: All Things Reconsidered.

When they had that contest to name the final song (prize: CDs of the Coventry run) I guessed "Slave". It was the set closer, not the encore. DOH! So close...

They ended Coventry with Curtain, too, right? Great pick, my friend

They sure did.

Thanks. Yeah, I am somewhat familiar with this band. :blush :coffee

Let's hope you are right. A curtain sandwich around the break up would be awesome. And much better than the Big Cypress meatstick sandwich. :lol

How about Curtain->All Things Reconsidered->YEM or Fluffhead. You think that might excite the base? :lol

That post right there is why, even though I am not going to Hampton (and didn't even try to get tix), in the back of my mind I am thinking I may regret it. And that post is what's great about the band. Something like that is actually possible.

God, can you imagine? The roof would come off the place.

Well fuck it, let's just go balls-out and say set 1: Gamehenge.

Impossible, I know...hell, I'd go crazy for a Bowie opener. :dancing

I am wondering how the fan base will be different now that we live in a BT world. I mean, there will probably be lots of young(er) fans attending these shows that have never seen the band. But I guess that with BT, they will certainly know every song and every gimmcik that the band has/had, right?

I mean, someone earlier mentioned a Buried Alive opener (that actually used to be my favorite opener). I used to have one copy of that tune on a beat up crappy Maxell tape. Nowadays, I guess phans have 36 different copies in lossless format. :lol

Well fuck it, let's just go balls-out and say set 1: Gamehenge.

:lol

I always used to like Theme From The Bottom and My Friend My Friend as openers.

The first P-H opener I saw was Wilson (2/21/03). After Trey's first 2 notes the whole place ROARED "WILLLL-SONNN!"

Awesome.

I have contended for years that the Internet caused the "scene" to really deteriorate. I mean bands like Phish owe a good chunk of their success to the Internet. But when I was a kid and first getting into the GD, I had to seek out the kindness of strangers to get a hold of a tape. There seemed to me (and this could be just old-timer "good ol' days" speak) to be less of a sense of entitlement and more of a sense of community. That said, the familiarity with the music would likely be at a much higher level.

Yeah this band has some mindblowing openers.

I have contended for years that the Internet caused the "scene" to really deteriorate. I mean bands like Phish owe a good chunk of their success to the Internet. But when I was a kid and first getting into the GD, I had to seek out the kindness of strangers to get a hold of a tape. There seemed to me (and this could be just old-timer "good ol' days" speak) to be less of a sense of entitlement and more of a sense of community. That said, the familiarity with the music would likely be at a much higher level.

Yeah this is sort of what I was getting at. Scoring a new tape was the greatest thing and would get worn to pieces. I just wonder how the scene changes now. I sort of dropped out of the scene after Big Cypress so even for those post hiatus shows, I was half-out the door already and wasn't paying attention to the scene -- or tapes/BT.

Yeah this is sort of what I was getting at. Scoring a new tape was the greatest thing and would get worn to pieces. I just wonder how the scene changes now. I sort of dropped out of the scene after Big Cypress so even for those post hiatus shows, I was half-out the door already and wasn't paying attention to the scene -- or tapes/BT.

Yeah, ironically, with greater availability came diminished interest for me. Obtaining the latest, best quality tapes was a hobby almost like stamp or coin collecting. I, of course, would listen to each new show as I got it (I collected GD and not so much Phish) and that took up a lot of listening time. With the ability to just listen at any time on Archive or any number of sources, I feel less inclined to do so. As result, my musical tastes have broadened considerably.

/tangent

I always used to like Theme From The Bottom and My Friend My Friend as openers.

The first P-H opener I saw was Wilson (2/21/03). After Trey's first 2 notes the whole place ROARED "WILLLL-SONNN!"

Awesome.

My Friend...Yes!

can't believe i have gotten no love for my ridiculous first set i predicted on page 4 :ohwell

Yeah this band has some mindblowing openers.

i'm with you guys on this. i mean, getting a soundboard of anything was incredible. also, we would hear word of mouth what the band did, not with in 3 seconds on the internet.

my two tour buddies scored tix and want me to come up. i don't know. i think those days are over for me. i have a feeling that when i see the setlist 10 seconds after the show is over, i will be glad i didn't go.

we would hear word of mouth what the band did, not with in 3 seconds on the internet.

Does anyone remember Dupree's Diamond News at Dead lots? You would grab one in the lot and get the setlists of the tour to date and that would be your first idea of what the sets were looking like for that tour. That said, I still remember my buddy calling from a pay phone in Hampton (from inside the Coliseum) on 10/9/89 to tell me about that night's bust-outs! Man, I'm old! :lol