http://phish.com/news/index.php?year=2008#story409

sorry if this is up somewhere else.

rumor that the 09' tour announcement is soon to follow.

:dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing

Just the thing a heroin addict need to further his recovery...hit the road with his old enabling band mates...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if people often criticized Miles Davis or Charlie Parker or Billie Holliday or Ray Charles, etc. (in fact, any of the many Jazz artists at the time who played together and shot smack) back in the day while/after they were heroin users, or if they just enjoyed/talked about their music.

I wonder if people often criticized Miles Davis or Charlie Parker or Billie Holliday or Ray Charles, etc. (in fact, any of the many Jazz artists at the time who played together and shot smack) back in the day while/after they were heroin users, or if they just enjoyed/talked about their music.

Well put. I think if you criticized all the musicians in the world for their drug habits, there'd be no time left to enjoy the wonderful music they make!

And we're glad glad glad that they're alive

And we're glad glad glad that they'll arrive

And we're glad glad glad glad

Glad glad glad

And we're glad glad glad that they're a-glide

:dancing :dance :rock :banana :badger :bounce8 :cheers

A legitimate concern, too. That first run of shows post-hiatus (winter '03) showed me the problems that were obvious in the late '90s had not been properly dealt with. To each his own and all, but the music suffered - and that was the sad thing. I hope like hell that mucho practice time is put in because when they are truly ON there is few bands that can touch these guys in the live setting.

A legitimate concern, too. That first run of shows post-hiatus (winter '03) showed me the problems that were obvious in the late '90s had not been properly dealt with. To each his own and all, but the music suffered - and that was the sad thing. I hope like hell that mucho practice time is put in because when they are truly ON there is few bands that can touch these guys in the live setting.

yeah, with the dead, you had the rest of the band holding jerry up from the mid 80s on. he came around in 89-90, but that was it as far as i am concerned. the rest of the band got sober and garcia didn't. now the dead was more laid back and had less intricate parts in their music, so jerry could F up terrapin here and there, but he could still play his slow jams. trey on the other hand, picked the wrong kind of music to make if he also is an addict. in your 20s that might work. but by mid 40s, you can't not rehearse and use drugs all the time and expect to come out on stage and not F up YEM or some shit. so, we'll see. :dontgetit

Not to turn this thread around, but Garcia had many more nights being "on" than off, including from the mid-80s on, imo. There's a lot of great music that was made during that period mid-80s->95), it just obviousy differs from other GD eras. They were many bands in one, anyway.

I guess with the Trey thing: he's already successfully and honorably wrestled his demons. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Not to turn this thread around, but Garcia had many more nights being "on" than off, including from the mid-80s on, imo. There's a lot of great music that was made during that period mid-80s->95), it just obviousy differs from other GD eras. They were many bands in one, anyway.

I guess with the Trey thing: he's already successfully and honorably wrestled his demons. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

my point was that the dead could get away with being a bit sloppy. i mean, they played mellow, meander stoner music. it's easy to play that shit old or stoned and as a result, garcia sounded good. but ya can't do that with YEM etc.

my point was that the dead could get away with being a bit sloppy. i mean, they played mellow, meander stoner music. it's easy to play that shit old or stoned and as a result, garcia sounded good. but ya can't do that with YEM etc.

Eh, I still disagree to an extent. The GD music was meticulously scrutinized by the fan base. Not that Phish's base wasn't, but the GD body of tunes has more history behind it. I don't think the GD got away on nights that a member or two performed sub-par. Garcia certainly wasn't the only member to have off nights, either.

I also disagree that it was all mellow, meander stoner music. There's a lot to be said for the Swing/Rock aspect, as well as a lot of the 3-4 minute tunes in the first set. They could flat-out Rock at times.

I think, if anything, the scrutiny got more and more intense as the band picked up fans, particularly during the period you write off (save for a year?) as being the time when Garcia was mailing it in and being carried by the rest of the band. That being the post "Touch" years. The rest of the band wasn't sober, maybe a little more restrained. Garcia was still the behemoth the other band mates all still rested their laurels on. I disagree with your assessment, is all.

I also don't think GD music was intrinsically less intricate/complex than Phish tunes. Time changes, sure. Improv ventures, perhaps. But the mood set at a GD show, even into the 90s, was still a thing of beauty in how the band could create a musical landscape for an evening (or fail in doing so) that I haven't experienced as in-depth with any other band. I'd also add that, just as the GD went through numerous amalgamations as a band over their career span, they were capable of the same within not only an evening or a set, but within an individual tune.

I guess I just don't see the "Garcia as liability on stage" aspect as being as much of a factor as some people. It was apparent from time to time, but the overwhelming amount of times he produced like he was capable of and those far outweighed the off nights, imo.

Now, back to Phish....

Eh, I still disagree to an extent. The GD music was meticulously scrutinized by the fan base. Not that Phish's base wasn't, but the GD body of tunes has more history behind it. I don't think the GD got away on nights that a member or two performed sub-par. Garcia certainly wasn't the only member to have off nights, either.

I also disagree that it was all mellow, meander stoner music. There's a lot to be said for the Swing/Rock aspect, as well as a lot of the 3-4 minute tunes in the first set. They could flat-out Rock at times.

I think, if anything, the scrutiny got more and more intense as the band picked up fans, particularly during the period you write off (save for a year?) as being the time when Garcia was mailing it in and being carried by the rest of the band. That being the post "Touch" years. The rest of the band wasn't sober, maybe a little more restrained. Garcia was still the behemoth the other band mates all still rested their laurels on. I disagree with your assessment, is all.

I also don't think GD music was intrinsically less intricate/complex than Phish tunes. Time changes, sure. Improv ventures, perhaps. But the mood set at a GD show, even into the 90s, was still a thing of beauty in how the band could create a musical landscape for an evening (or fail in doing so) that I haven't experienced as in-depth with any other band. I'd also add that, just as the GD went through numerous amalgamations as a band over their career span, they were capable of the same within not only an evening or a set, but within an individual tune.

I guess I just don't see the "Garcia as liability on stage" aspect as being as much of a factor as some people. It was apparent from time to time, but the overwhelming amount of times he produced like he was capable of and those far outweighed the off nights, imo.

Now, back to Phish....

This is a high quality post. :thumbup I don't think I'd disagree with nearly anything you said here. I myself was what you would call a 'picky deadhead' I guess. I can't tell you how many times I'd walk out of a show thinking "wow, that was really lackluster" and I'd run into someone who was a true believer and I'd have to argue with them (devil's advocate complex). The old adage still rings true however (for both the GD and Phish): the tapes don't lie - if you're talking about something that has to last 'outside the moment' there are obvious high points and low ones for both bands. Sadly, I think I missed seeing both bands creative highpoints, but I'll still jump in the car to see these guys do their thing today.

It would be nice to read about this band without negative remarks - maybe someday. I think the fans of so-called jam bands should be championed - without some of the things that Phish fans and those who came before them did, you very well may not have had a Wilcobase and/or tapes of Wilco live shows.

And I still think phish.net is one of the best fan made websites ever.

It would be nice to read about this band without negative remarks - maybe someday. I think the fans of so-called jam bands should be championed - without some of the things that Phish fans and those who came before them did, you very well may not have had a Wilcobase and/or tapes of Wilco live shows.

And I still think phish.net is one of the best fan made websites ever.

Phish.net is amazing. Another site that I don't think is as well known but I really like is http://phisharchive.com/. It's a collection of Phish-related news articles. A very large collection. 20 years of articles, reviews, and interview transcripts.

Phish.net is amazing. Another site that I don't think is as well known but I really like is http://phisharchive.com/. It's a collection of Phish-related news articles. A very large collection. 20 years of articles, reviews, and interview transcripts.

I saw an Alice in Chains site like that recently - someone should make a Wilco site like that. There is one, but it has not been updated in years, as far as I know.

go back and listen to 92-95. it's quite rough.

Now, back to Phish....

go back and listen to 92-95. it's quite rough.

There are plenty of nuggets in there. Plenty. I actually appreciated Vince, for the most part, too. The "Visions of Johanna" that they started doing were almost always top-notch and sublime. The "Bertha"s in '93 were particularly good. The "Broken Arrows." I like "Corrina."

"SOTM," "So Many Roads," "Liberty," "I Fought the Law," "Lazy River Road," "Days Between," the break-outs/revivals: "I Want to Tell You," "Rain," "Baba O'Riley," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "Lucy in the Sky," "She Said," "It's All Too Much(!!)," "H.C. Sunshine," "New Speedway," "Unbroken Chain," etc. All good things and usually played with fervor.

Things got rough in '95, for sure, but until the last tour I think there were plenty of gems.

I just can't sweep and entire era under the rug as a dismissive era.

Yep. Although post-hiatus Phish isn't usually my first choice when pulling cds to listen to there are moments that are very good (see 7/29/03 esp). Not unlike the GD there are many distinct periods of history to discover.

Those 'ambient jams' of the last 10 years didn't sit too well with me when I was at a show, but they hold up much better when I'm just laid back on the couch at home.

There are plenty of nuggets in there. Plenty. I actually appreciated Vince, for the most part, too. The "Visions of Johanna" that they started doing were almost always top-notch and sublime. The "Bertha"s in '93 were particularly good. The "Broken Arrows." I like "Corrina."

"SOTM," "So Many Roads," "Liberty," "I Fought the Law," "Lazy River Road," "Days Between," the break-outs/revivals: "I Want to Tell You," "Rain," "Baba O'Riley," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "Lucy in the Sky," "She Said," "It's All Too Much(!!)," "H.C. Sunshine," "New Speedway," "Unbroken Chain," etc. All good things and usually played with fervor.

Things got rough in '95, for sure, but until the last tour I think there were plenty of gems.

I just can't sweep and entire era under the rug as a dismissive era.

well, i would love to see a collection of the nuggets from that era. each show had a few. BUT, Unbroken Chain was allwas terrible!!!

well, i would love to see a collection of the nuggets from that era. each show had a few. BUT, Unbroken Chain was allwas terrible!!!

Rider - check out 6/28/92. Fantastic first set! Second ain't shabby either.

Rider - check out 6/28/92. Fantastic first set! Second ain't shabby either.

A few more:

8-22-93 Eugene,OR

9-22-93 MSG (most of that MSG run, actually)

3-18-95 Philly

6-23-92 Star Lake, PA

6-14-92 Giants Sta.

5-26-95 Seattle

3-17-93 Cap Center, MD

The Playin' from 5/26/93 is not to be missed - very scary.

I tried to hit PT tonight for the first time in awhile and I couldn't connect to the server. Hmmm.