The Complete YHF Sessions

I was compiling a list of all the songs that were either worked on, or a result of, the sessions for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and I wanted to get your input. I know some songs were worked on in various incarnations by different titles. Also, Im trying to not count anything we havent heard, Im sure there are some tracks that have never been released. This is just the album, b-sides, demos, etc. Anyway, here is what I've got so far:

I am trying to break your heart

Kamera

Radio Cure/Cordurroy Cutoff Girl

War on War

Jesus, etc.

Heavy Metal Drummer

Ashes of American Flags/Cash Machine

Pot Kettle Black

Poor Place/Hot in the Poor Places

Reservations

I'm the Man Who Loves you

Alone/Shakin Sugar

Not for the Season/Laminated Cat

Nothin up my Sleeve

Never Let You Down

Magazine Called Sunset

Venus Stopped the Train

Cars Cant Escape/Rhythm

Let Me Come Home/Instrumental 1

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Woodgrain

More Like the Moon

The Good Part

Instrumental 2

Handshake Drugs(?)

I wasnt sure whether to include the stuff off the YHF EP since I didnt know if it was worked on during the sessions. Also there is that "Unknown YHF Session" on Owl and Bear that has "Wishful Thinking" and a few other snippets. So am I missing anything? Anything wrong with the list?

I was compiling a list of all the songs that were either worked on, or a result of, the sessions for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and I wanted to get your input. I know some songs were worked on in various incarnations by different titles. Also, Im trying to not count anything we havent heard, Im sure there are some tracks that have never been released. This is just the album, b-sides, demos, etc. Anyway, here is what I've got so far:

I am trying to break your heart

Kamera

Radio Cure/Cordurroy Cutoff Girl

War on War

Jesus, etc.

Heavy Metal Drummer

Ashes of American Flags/Cash Machine

Pot Kettle Black

Poor Place/Hot in the Poor Places

Reservations

I'm the Man Who Loves you

Alone/Shakin Sugar

Not for the Season/Laminated Cat

Nothin up my Sleeve

Never Let You Down

Magazine Called Sunset

Venus Stopped the Train

Cars Cant Escape/Rhythm

Let Me Come Home/Instrumental 1

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Woodgrain

More Like the Moon

The Good Part

Instrumental 2

Handshake Drugs(?)

I wasnt sure whether to include the stuff off the YHF EP since I didnt know if it was worked on during the sessions. Also there is that "Unknown YHF Session" on Owl and Bear that has "Wishful Thinking" and a few other snippets. So am I missing anything? Anything wrong with the list?

Looks like you've got a good handle on it. Bob Dylan's Beard was worked on for YHF as was Magazine. I think Handshake was written sometime in 2002 after YHF was released, I'm not sure about Woodgrain and More Like The Moon-- both were debuted in 2003. Chinese Apple was written sometime during the YHF sessions also, but I don't think there's a Wilco version of that out there.

--Mike

So, I was listening to the YHF Demo on the way to work this morning, and I had a question that I know someone here will know the answer to. On the demo version of Poor Places (the one I have, anyway), there's no "Yankee ... Hotel ... Foxtrot" radio thing at the end of the song. So, when did the album get its name? What was the demo called when it was made? This is probly in a book somewhere or buried deep within the catacombs of VC, but I thought I'd just ask...

Looks like you've got a good handle on it. Bob Dylan's Beard was worked on for YHF as was Magazine. I think Handshake was written sometime in 2002 after YHF was released, I'm not sure about Woodgrain and More Like The Moon-- both were debuted in 2003. Chinese Apple was written sometime during the YHF sessions also, but I don't think there's a Wilco version of that out there.

--Mike

I think Chinese Apple was written when Jeff, Jim and Glenn got together before their Double Door show.

So, I was listening to the YHF Demo on the way to work this morning, and I had a question that I know someone here will know the answer to. On the demo version of Poor Places (the one I have, anyway), there's no "Yankee ... Hotel ... Foxtrot" radio thing at the end of the song. So, when did the album get its name? What was the demo called when it was made? This is probly in a book somewhere or buried deep within the catacombs of VC, but I thought I'd just ask...

According to this article in Spin I found in the archives, the original title was Here Comes Everybody, also an instrumental on the Wilco Book CD and also was named a possible title for AGIB as well. Spin. According to Jay in the Glorious Noise interview he gave around the time YHF finally released it was his idea to actually put the Conet transmission of YHF on to the demo, though it was Tweedy who was constantly listening to the boxset.

--Mike

I think Chinese Apple was written when Jeff, Jim and Glenn got together before their Double Door show.

Further confirmations that I have no real life: I have a June 1999 Lounge Axe boot with Chinese Apple on it, so I was under the impression Tweedy brought that one to the sessions like he did with Laminated Cat. Who knows? Wilco needs to get set up with a Mark Lewisohn, who will go through all their tapes and give us "A Complete History of the Loft." I'm sure 10, maybe ever 20 people would buy it, and I'd certainly volunteer myself up for it.

--Mike

Further confirmations that I have no real life: I have a June 1999 Lounge Axe boot with Chinese Apple on it, so I was under the impression Tweedy brought that one to the sessions like he did with Laminated Cat. Who knows? Wilco needs to get set up with a Mark Lewisohn, who will go through all their tapes and give us "A Complete History of the Loft." I'm sure 10, maybe ever 20 people would buy it, and I'd certainly volunteer myself up for it.

--Mike

A COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE LOFT!!! :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing

PLEASE!!! :worship :worship :worship

If we really get into this then it should be mentioned that there are still to this day quite a few songs that never even made it to the YHF demos. I can't clearly remember how many there were and what their specific titles were but I do remember when the wilcomovie site was up there was quite a few outtake videos of Leroy Bach, Bennett, and Stirratt playing songs individually. They were either never seriously worked on or just not submitted onto the demos and final album products. I remember that for a fact Jay in one clip talked about and played "Like A Photograph" which ended up on his fist solo album with Edward Burch.

If we really get into this then it should be mentioned that there are still to this day quite a few songs that never even made it to the YHF demos. I can't clearly remember how many there were and what their specific titles were but I do remember when the wilcomovie site was up there was quite a few outtake videos of Leroy Bach, Bennett, and Stirratt playing songs individually. They were either never seriously worked on or just not submitted onto the demos and final album products. I remember that for a fact Jay in one clip talked about and played "Like A Photograph" which ended up on his fist solo album with Edward Burch.

Good point. For reference Leroy played "Special Day" which can be found on the K-settes bootleg (Jay, Jeff and Leroy) from 9-11-1999 at the Hideout. John played Recuperating From the War, which is on The Green Hour, the first Autumn Defense Album.

--Mike

Good point. For reference Leroy played "Special Day" which can be found on the K-settes bootleg (Jay, Jeff and Leroy) from 9-11-1999 at the Hideout. John played Recuperating From the War, which is on The Green Hour, the first Autumn Defense Album.

--Mike

I would love to see those clips...

Also, I guess what I meant was a complete list of songs that were "worked on" during the YHF Sessions, not necessarily originating from those sessions. So, for instance, songs like "Ashes" that were played before the official sessions began would count since it was recorded for consideration. Does anyone know if "No Church tonight" was ever in consideration for YHF? I know it came out of the Mermaid Avenues Sessions however it was played live once around the time YHF was recorded and later ended up on the Jay Bennett solo CD.