Jeff Mangum - Engine!

I was at this. The crowd was awful for all of the other bands, minus a few people up front. The word, as they say, is apparently quite out. I saw Jeremy Barnes milling around before the show, so for the first time since '99 or something, the whole Aeroplane NMH lineup was in the building. Also of note, Robert Schneider played a couple songs. I think this was his first stop on the tour. And Engine did sound fantastic.

I was at this. The crowd was awful for all of the other bands, minus a few people up front. The word, as they say, is apparently quite out. I saw Jeremy Barnes milling around before the show, so for the first time since '99 or something, the whole Aeroplane NMH lineup was in the building. Also of note, Robert Schneider played a couple songs. I think this was his first stop on the tour. And Engine did sound fantastic.

Seems he likes to perform in the dark. Is there a technical reason for this or is he just being shy?

Seems he likes to perform in the dark. Is there a technical reason for this or is he just being shy?

Every time he has played it on this tour, he's played the song off the stage in the crowd. So the darkness is lack of stage lights.

Here's where I brag about how I saw NMH at an in-store at Reckless Records on Broadway just after Aeroplane came out.

Also saw them at Lounge Ax, but I got to request "Song Against Sex" at the in store! They played it despite not having a trombone. (Scott was able to fudge it on a flugelhorn -- and very well, too!)

But this gives me some hope for a new record, if he will, please, please, please....

But this gives me some hope for a new record, if he will, please, please, please....

I realize that I live in an alterna-universe where everyone knows NMH, but if they DID decide to get back together to make an album, I can't think of a situation where there'd be a more highly anticipated release. The only thing I can think of is if John and George were still alive. And I realize that the "Beatles getting back together" is hyperbole, but still, what else would generate that kind of anticipation? Have I just not had enough coffee this morning?

I realize that I live in an alterna-universe where everyone knows NMH, but if they DID decide to get back together to make an album, I can't think of a situation where there'd be a more highly anticipated release. The only thing I can think of is if John and George were still alive. And I realize that the "Beatles getting back together" is hyperbole, but still, what else would generate that kind of anticipation? Have I just not had enough coffee this morning?

It would generate that type of anticipation, but only among the small group of like-minded people, of which we are a part.

Now, that small group is bigger than it used to be, but it's still relatively small.

And, if that's the case, you know the backlash will only get more intense, as well.

You may hear something in the news about a kid's head exploding if it happens. :stunned

Oh, and, if the Sex Pistols reunion of the 1990's didn't generate the freaking out that you would expect, I don't know how an NMH reunion would.

Oh, and, if the Sex Pistols reunion of the 1990's didn't generate the freaking out that you would expect, I don't know how an NMH reunion would.

The Sex Pistols reunion had nothing new to offer. It was just a nostalgia trip for fans, and a cash grab for the band. Let's face it, this was a band milking their 1 official studio release. Maybe it's just me, but I had zero interest in that reunion tour. NMH is a different story. I think the motivation to reunite for them would be coming from a totally different place than Johnny Rotten's gang.

The Sex Pistols reunion had nothing new to offer. It was just a nostalgia trip for fans, and a cash grab for the band.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I cant think of any other band getting back together to make an album that would generate the same kind of buzz. Of course, there's no way the album could live up to the hype. I guess Phish fans are excited for a new album? But I think the buzz for NMH would much more pronounced.

This may be evidence of little other than that bands just don't break up anymore and so there's no one that "gets back together" either.

Hasn't In the Aeroplane sold something like 200,000 copies over a slow burn? Or am I drastically exaggerating that number? If true, that's nothing to sneeze at.

I'm seeing somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000-140,000 copies on the interwebs.