This next one is from our newwww album

i've never been that big on live albums, but i never travel far...without a little budokan. sounds kind of cool...

The history of rock and roll is fraught with more than its share of unforeseen circumstances. But none so unforeseen as those in the life of Cheap Trick Rick Nielsen (guitar), Robin Zander (vocals and guitar), Bun E. Carlos (drums), and Tom Petersson (bass). Circa 1978-79, they jumped from being the biggest band ever to emerge from Rockford , Illinois , to becoming platinum-selling headliners on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Chalk it up to Japan, the most unpredictable rock nation on the face of the earth, who held Cheap Trick so close to their hearts that the bands record company there decided to reward the fans with a live concert album, a souvenir of the bands incredible two-night stand at the countrys most revered sports stadium in 1978.

The album turned into a tsunami whose impact catalyzed America, then engulfed the world and now is celebrated three decades later with a four-disc (DVD + 3 CD) package, BUDOKAN!: 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION, that brings the sight and sound together for the first time. The set will arrive in stores November 11th through Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG Music Entertainment. Separately on October 28th, a new 12-inch vinyl LP of the Live at Budokan original 10-song album will be issued on 180 gram audiophile pressing.

This deluxe package is highlighted by the premiere commercial DVD release of a video recording of the second concert, a one hour 15-song program that was broad

I was 16 when this record came out. You could not go ANYWHERE without hearing it - it seemed to be one of the few records that both girls and guys liked equally well.

We had a local teenage garage band (The Cooper Bros.) that had nearly the whole damn album in their sets.

Before the first version of the live album was actually released, there was a promo album called "From Tokyo To You" or something like that. 7 songs I think. I have that promo in a box somewhere. I loved Cheap Trick in the late 70s and saw them a bunch of times.

"Can you honestly tell me you forgot? Forgot the magnetism of Robin Zander, or the charisma of Rick Nielsen?"

Awesome post topic - wow. what a fantastic record. i remember being at the little league carnival, and wandering over to the record store across the street to buy it as a 12 year old. My purchase was loosely based on my older brother and radio airplay for "surrender". I stayed up most of that Friday night listening to that record, looking at the album jacket shots of Robin (so freaking cool), Rick (weird but magnetic), Bun e (science rock!), and Tom P (mr. suave).

Later got into Dream police and their record before Budokan, but this live record was truly transcendant to me as a teenager.

good call on the matt dillon movi, too - forgot about that-- didn't they burn down the high school at the end??

Another example of the repackage thing. A few years back a double disc 'the complete budokan concert' or some such name came out. I snapped that up. Now this version1 Oy! The DVD sounds excellent, though... More money spent.

I can honestly say I *hated* Live at Budokan when it first came. Partly it was teen-age frustration because My friends and I had listened to them from the first album -- which I honestly think is their best. One of my first concerts was an outdoor extravaganza at a Rockford, IL racetrack prior to Budokan's release. Cheap Trick headlined the concert, with opener Molly Hatchett, AC/DC (Angus rode through the crowd on two roadies shoulders playing lead) and, inexplicably, The Babys (15K people took a collective nap.

After a full day of music, Cheap Trick played for two hours, turning it into a reunion concert. They actually received keys to the city by the Mayor of Rockford and other dignitaries (Neilsen dutifullly strapped a guitar on each of them as they came out).

Dream Police to me started a slide. They've had a few glimmers since, but I would go see them in concert again in a heartbeat.

Certainly Neilsen leaned on Chuck Berry in his song writing, but he had a twist on the rock & roll dream, and a luscivious streak that made many of their songs absolute treasures.

That they are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a huge injustice, since they've been eligible for nearly a decade.

seconded.

Thirded? Can you do that?

Cheap Trick was the first rock band I was ever really in to 100%. In the 80's I was kind of embarrassed to admit to liking them, but I still bought all their stuff and went to see them every time they came to town. Budokan was and still is a great album. For those of you who have never seen them live, you need to. Their sets are sadly way too short and way too predictable, but this band was built on the stage and they still excel there.

Side note: when I was 11 I formed my first band with 3 of my buddies. I actually had to teach the other guitarist and our bassist how to play every song we learned. Anyway, we learned the entire Budokan album except "I Want You To Want Me" and "Surrender". A real insight into why my music career sucked...you're supposed to play the songs people like, not vice versa!!! We would dress like our counter parts in Cheap Trick and were even named after one of their songs. I believe we were the first ever Cheap Trick tribute band.

I can honestly say I *hated* Live at Budokan when it first came. Partly it was teen-age frustration because My friends and I had listened to them from the first album -- which I honestly think is their best. One of my first concerts was an outdoor extravaganza at a Rockford, IL racetrack prior to Budokan's release. Cheap Trick headlined the concert, with opener Molly Hatchett, AC/DC (Angus rode through the crowd on two roadies shoulders playing lead) and, inexplicably, The Babys (15K people took a collective nap.

After a full day of music, Cheap Trick played for two hours, turning it into a reunion concert. They actually received keys to the city by the Mayor of Rockford and other dignitaries (Neilsen dutifullly strapped a guitar on each of them as they came out).

I Went to a concert at that race track once. It was Molly Hatchet (almost seems like they might be the house band, they had the chubby guy singing, not the original singer) Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath (Dio). It was a good time.

I like Budokan it was on at every party for a solid year when I was in college. But another re-issue? I got the two disc re-issue for the twentieth anniversary. Enough

Zander lives down in my area, and their current label is based here in St Petersburg. Apparently he can be seen in public out and about but I haven't ran into him yet.

The last album I really liked was One on One. I've always thought "Saturday at Midnight" would be an interesting cover song, either as is for a band like Modest Mouse or the Killers, or for Warren Haynes or the Chili Peppers with a funky wah-wah sound.

I still have Dream Police and Budokon on vinyl.

First show I went to had Cheap Trick as the opener followed by Sweet and Foghat at the Spectrum in early 79, just as Budokan was breaking. Very bummed we left the weed in the car. Buddy Steve went out and got Heaven Tonight, I got Budokan. Score one for Tugger.