The end is near!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any now? And where is the outrage for no checks and balances? Of course the checks and balances are there, but when the administraion says F-U to any attempt to exercise the checks and balances, they are for all intents and purposes non-existant. Can you honestly say you think Obama woudl run roughshod the way Bush has?

Yeah, I would say the Democratic House and Senate balance out Bush.

Talk about spitting into a tsunami -- IL has become so democratic, it would be downright scary to you :lol

Home of Obama, Ayers and Wilco (and me). It is also the home to some of the country's best hospitals though -- NW Memorial and UofC just to name a couple

I was only half joking. When it comes time to apply for a residency, I'll definitely be looking at places in Chicago.

I'd say that is right.

I finally saw celebrities behind Palin at a speech she was giving last night - Hank Williams Jr. and Lee Greenwood (wearing his American flag jacket, of course).

While this board is laced with the importance of subjectivity...both of yer fancy celebs, Hank and Lee, suck. Jr. had a few good years, but he clearly sux ass now.

:unsure for real?

what do you think? because it's just fun to vote? or they expect to have nothing better to do on election day? "for real," what do you figure?

Yeah, I would say the Democratic House and Senate balance out Bush.

I was only half joking. When it comes time to apply for a residency, I'll definitely be looking at places in Chicago.

Prior to 06? I agree with your current assessment though.

You got your work cut out...IL is up 29 points in Pres. poll, today.

Woo hoo! You might get to see some Wilco residencies too :thumbup

C'mon sweetheart - they do. We hear "this crucial point in history" and stuff like that ad nauseum every single election cycle. I feel personally that this election is up there, history-wise, but it's not really unique in that way.

I don't recall any talk like that in 1996 or 2000. Maybe it was there & I missed it.

what do you think? because it's just fun to vote? or they expect to have nothing better to do on election day? "for real," what do you figure?

We're about to elect a person of color to the white house. Seeing that that actually happens certainly is bringing out people who might not vote otherwise. Social change is a pretty good motivator. Also the economy is kind of in the tank. There are going to be a lot if disappointed people when the economy isn't fixed 6 or 9 months into Obama's first term.

Regardless of who wins (and I've already absentee voted with the VC majority) is there any chance of getting Bush to leave early? Maybe not by the day after the election, but by the end of that week seems reasonable. Heck, I'll even drive up from Georgia & help him pack.

There are going to be a lot if disappointed people when the economy isn't fixed 6 or 9 months into Obama's first term.

Or a lot of surprised people if it does? The new deal revisited is a good first step. Energy, infrastructure, jobs in the US.

We're about to elect a person of color to the white house. Seeing that that actually happens certainly is bringing out people who might not vote otherwise. Social change is a pretty good motivator. Also the economy is kind of in the tank. There are going to be a lot if disappointed people when the economy isn't fixed 6 or 9 months into Obama's first term.

yes, of course to your first sentence -- that was certainly included in my idea of consequential. i'm not sure why you would have thought otherwise. i'm not color-blind like, say, stephen colbert. ;) i think people also see other social-change possibilities under obama, which is as you say a motivator to vote. yes, the economy is in the tank. i guess i still don't get the implication of your "for real," but never mind.

without doubt there will be a lot of disappointed people when obama can't fix their personal problems in his first year, or maybe ever. that will happen, no question. i'm still not sure of your point. i'm voting for obama because i think he will be good for the country in general and in some specific ways, and, maybe more important, for the world and our relations with it.

yes, of course to your first sentence -- that was certainly included in my idea of consequential. i'm not sure why you would have thought otherwise. i'm not color-blind like, say, stephen colbert. ;) i think people also see other social-change possibilities under obama, which is as you say a motivator to vote. yes, the economy is in the tank. i guess i still don't get the implication of your "for real," but never mind.

without doubt there will be a lot of disappointed people when obama can't fix their personal problems in his first year, or maybe ever. that will happen, no question. i'm still not sure of your point. i'm voting for obama because i think he will be good for the country in general and in some specific ways, and, maybe more important, for the world and our relations with it.

Trying to get right with the rest of the world can't happen soon enough.

Those of use who remember the civil rights movement (not must reading about it in a book) are amazed that within our life span a person of color is actually maybe going to be president of the USA. Within my lifetime blacks were discouaged from voting, much less win elected office and certainly not President. On this point alone this is an historic election...

LouieB

I don't think any of that elevates this election over any other or the next one. If anything I think they grow less important until there is some reform in place to clean up the process and take our the influence of lobbyists.

I don't think any of that elevates this election over any other or the next one. If anything I think they grow less important until there is some reform in place to clean up the process and take our the influence of lobbyists.

I'm not sure how people don't see this election as more important than most. The past 8 years have derailed the country. Getting back on track is going to be slow but the two parties have vastly different ideas on how to get there - the war, the economic policy, taxes, international relations, etc. This one sure seems important.

Further, assuming the Republicans lose, to have them go back to the drawing board and move away from the extremist ideas of the past 8 years would be yet another beneficial outcome.

This election is a bit more important than the last one as we have better candidates and the country is in even worse shape than 2004.

how do you think the influence of lobbyists will be removed? do you think whoever is president is completely irrelevant to that goal?

I'm not sure how people don't see this election as more important than most. The past 8 years have derailed the country. Getting back on track is going to be slow but the two parties have vastly different ideas on how to get there - the war, the economic policy, taxes, international relations, etc. This one sure seems important.

Further, assuming the Republicans lose, to have them go back to the drawing board and move away from the extremist ideas of the past 8 years would be yet another beneficial outcome.

This election is a bit more important than the last one as we have better candidates and the country is in even worse shape than 2004.

you got it, in my opinion.

Trying to get right with the rest of the world can't happen soon enough.

Those of use who remember the civil rights movement (not must reading about it in a book) are amazed that within our life span a person of color is actually maybe going to be president of the USA. Within my lifetime blacks were discouaged from voting, much less win elected office and certainly not President. On this point alone this is an historic election...

LouieB

yes. amazed. never thought we'd see it. as recently as the 1960s there were exactly two streets in my n.y. state town where the "negros" lived when i was in junior high school -- Lincoln Street and Washington Street. that was it. and no mixing!

how do you think the influence of lobbyists will be removed? do you think whoever is president is completely irrelevant to that goal?

Do you really think our system is working? I don't. We need whole scale election reform. Yes, the president is irrelevant to that goal. The party in power never wants reform because they have the upper hand in that regard.

Yeah I don't see it. I think the country would be in equally bad shape, perhaps somewhat different but still bad, had we dealt with Gore or Bush. So now we're correcting to the liberal side of things instead of fixing the mess either of those guys got us in. A lot of this stuff is cyclical and unavoidable anyway. We have prosperity and peace and then that shifts into something else. Now hopefully we'll slide into some peace and prosperity after the economy is done tanking and we manage to withdraw from the middle east. Then that will get effed up and the other guys will take over again. But we don't ever really fix anything because we're too busy jerking around the middle ground. Because to win you need that middle undecided segment. It's a real problem as regards fixing any serious social ills.

Blacks were allowed to vote before women were, so shouldn't the McCain/Palin vote represent the more history-making vote?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

What makes Palin more historic than Geraldine Ferraro?