The end is near!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think voting for third party candidates in local elections is usually great, and in Presidential elections its fine if that's what you really want to do, I just think that people are fooling themselves if they think that voting for a third party candidate in this election is going to make a bit of difference. None of the third party candidates are really forcing any issues onto the table very successfully, and the stakes this time are too high to let a Republican win (IMO of course). In other elections, with lower stakes, and with third party candidates who actually stand for something, then sure, go for it.

I completely understand voting for 3rd party if you truly don't care which of the major candidates is going to win. I'd love to see a viable independent candidate someday but that time is not upon us just yet.

It would be great if you could vote for the person who best represents your point of view, and of course people can do that, but it is actually smarter and better in the long run if you vote for someone who 1. has a chance of being elected and 2. is better than the other guy running. Because those really are your choices for the future. Throwing your vote to unelectable third party candidates hasn't made third party candidacy any more viable, except on the very very local level. It really doesn't send a message to the two big parties that they need to change. Is it a great system? No, but it is the system we have for 2008 and your choices are McCain and Obama, realistically.

And that is change we can believe in!

So I am supposed to vote for McCain because a few of his platform stances are closer to my beliefs than the other alternative? Is it really that wrong to vote third party in the hope that someday enough votes may be garnered allowing increased funding and interest in these parties so that perhaps they might become viable alternatives?

I realize there are only two viable options to occupy the White House. Who doesn't? I also realize that voting for the lesser bad guy is probably the best option.

That's not my point, though.

Senator Obama is not a bad guy.

I completely understand voting for 3rd party if you truly don't care which of the major candidates is going to win. I'd love to see a viable independent candidate someday but that time is not upon us just yet.

I voted 3rd party in 2004. I just couldn't vote for Kerry and there was no way I was voting for Bush. I hope I don't get banned from VC because of this.

I just saw Senator Obama giving a speech where he said something about how he could take the McCain/Palin character attacks for two weeks, so we would not have to take their attacks for 4 years. Pretty powerful.

What a guy!

My daughter told me about a discussion she had with one of her friends. She asked the girl why she would not vote for Obama and the girl said flat out I don't like black people. My daughter said that's making a decision because your a racist then. The other kid replied no I'm not racist I just don't like black people (or mexicans for that matter). My kid asked her if she hated her sister who is 50/50. The other kid could not comprehend that her sister was black. Very interesting stupid stuff from hs freshmen.

You told this story before. FYI.

Senator Obama is not a bad guy.

neither is McCain

Found an interesting little nugget about early voting here in Florida -- probably the same elsewhere as well.

The clerks of courts are required to list the names of everyone who votes, their party affiliation and where they voted. Sure enough, I found my name. It doesn't list the vote, but party affiliation certainly can give you indication.

BTW, from the list I've scanned, it's overwhelmingly DEM in a supposedly overwhelming REP area of Florida.

People that rail against the exclusion of third parties set their sights too high, in my opinion. Getting third parties elected to local offices and building from there is most likely the only way to gain enough traction to ever get a third party to national prominence. It seems people are either too lazy, too impatient or don't care enough to put their efforts behind campaigns that AREN'T for the POTUS.

People that rail against the exclusion of third parties set their sights too high, in my opinion. Getting third parties elected to local offices and building from there is most likely the only way to gain enough traction to ever get a third party to national prominence. It seems people are either too lazy, too impatient or don't care enough to put their efforts behind campaigns that AREN'T for the POTUS.

IIRC a 3rd party that can garner 5 percent of the popular vote is eligible for public election funds. Any attempt at a 3rd party has to have grassroots organization and a slate of candidates, else any elected official would be pissing into the wind.

And that is change we can believe in!

So I am supposed to vote for McCain because a few of his platform stances are closer to my beliefs than the other alternative? Is it really that wrong to vote third party in the hope that someday enough votes may be garnered allowing increased funding and interest in these parties so that perhaps they might become viable alternatives?

The way you move third party candidates into the system is from the bottom up, not the top down. get some school board people elected, maybe city council, maybe a state rep and as those people make names for themselves then the third party system is legitimized. having recently been involved with the election of a green party candidate to city council, I know it can be done. I find it hard to believe that Ralph Nader is the best the green party can come up with. He's not a legitimate candidate, he's just the person you vote for, knowing he can't possibly win, in order to try to make a statement. But statements are much better made when you can get your guy into office and the first place you make changes in getting your guy/girl into office is to offer up a candidate that actually can do the job.

If no one is allowed to post anything that's been posted before, then we may as well just close this thread up now, eh?

Again, I was just screwing around. Everyone here should take a deap breath and calm down a bit. We will all wake up on November 5 (hopefully).

The way you move third party candidates into the system is from the bottom up, not the top down. get some school board people elected, maybe city council, maybe a state rep and as those people make names for themselves then the third party system is legitimized. having recently been involved with the election of a green party candidate to city council, I know it can be done. I find it hard to believe that Ralph Nader is the best the green party can come up with. He's not a legitimate candidate, he's just the person you vote for, knowing he can't possibly win, in order to try to make a statement. But statements are much better made when you can get your guy into office and the first place you make changes in getting your guy/girl into office is to offer up a candidate that actually can do the job.

Um, yeah I grasp the concept.

So to answer my question I should vote for McCain, yes? You know to do the smart thing.

Fuck you, Jude.

:wub