The end is near!

LIFE OF REILLY

I needed to know: can Obama pick a fantasy team? So I asked him.

by Rick Reilly

Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images

I have the absolute worst fantasy league football partner. Just try to get the guy to return a call. Or a text. You need a damn court order.

He's Barack Obama. And, yeah, I guess he's busy, but why was I the one who had to fly to Dayton, get frisked and have bomb dogs drool on my bags just so I could meet him getting off his tricked-out, chartered 757? He can't meet a guy halfway?

I asked each candidate to be my running mate for one week in a fantasy league, just to see what kind of president he'd make

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, he's just Ikol.....Most of those on the right, including ikol and company think Barack is a fucking Commie. All the hate spewed out at Barack by the opposition comes from a very hateful and distrustful place and one where the idea that one party has control is too upsetting unless of course that control is in the hands of a Republican or someone more right than that.

I've seen alot more hate for the right spewed than vice versa.

I've seen alot more hate for the right spewed than vice versa.

um, maybe because of the last eight years? but i don't think it's hate. i hear and read more actual hate from the right, and frustration, disgust, and fear

from the left.

That's what they say about every election.

no, they don't.

and after the last eight years, i see this election as more crucial -- on the world scale -- than any other in my lifetime.

edit: i haven't seen any hate from you personally -- in fact, not from many on this board, no matter what their political preference.

Nah, he's just Ikol.....Most of those on the right, including ikol and company think Barack is a fucking Commie. All the hate spewed out at Barack by the opposition comes from a very hateful and distrustful place and one where the idea that one party has control is too upsetting unless of course that control is in the hands of a Republican or someone more right than that.

He doesn't have to be a "fucking Commie" for me to disagree with his views. Hate and distrust has nothing to do with it, either. I don't hate Obama, and I certainly trust him to enact the policies that he's proposing - policies with which I disagree.

I'm also not a huge Radiohead fan.

no, they don't.

Yes they do.

and after the last eight years, i see this election as more crucial -- on the world scale -- than any other in my lifetime.

Except, of course, for the next one.

no, they don't.

C'mon sweetheart - they do. We hear "this crucial point in history" and stuff like that ad nauseum every single election cycle. I feel personally that this election is up there, history-wise, but it's not really unique in that way.

I'm a huge Obama supporter, but I can understand people being skeptical of his potential.

Right. Obama, while perhaps a breath of fresh air, hasn't done much yet. So while he's clearly a better

choice than McCain, if nothing else based on running mate alone, I reserve judgment and remain

skeptical that either party is capable of initiating much real change.

C'mon sweetheart - they do. We hear "this crucial point in history" and stuff like that ad nauseum every single election cycle. I feel personally that this election is up there, history-wise, but it's not really unique in that way.

no one has taken this country down a radical, extremist path in several decades as the bush administration has. i've never before seen anything like the gap between what the parties are offering now. and if this election isn't seen as more consequential than others in the recent past, why are so many people rushing to register and to vote? it isn't just because of the obama campaign's efforts to register people. mccain people are doing it in larger numbers also. every other election i can think of was either medium-interesting or ho-hum to almost everyone, from friends and neighbors to media and politicians, compared to now.

I heartily endorse Ikol, even though our politics almost never agree. I also heartily endorse his right to vote in AR :P

Oh, I'm moving to Chicago and voting there, so watch out. :pirate

Just because the same party controls Congress and the White House does not automatically mean that Congress will not provide the necessary checks and balances. Sure, when the Republicans were in charge from 2001-2006, they did whatever Bush wanted, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Democrats will let their own guy get away with as much.

Now, I'm not saying they will provide those checks. I just think that if they don't, it won't be because Obama is a Democrat -- after all, the Democrats in Congress have pretty much kowtowed to whatever Bush wants, too.

Jeez, I thought you were going to say they were 10 years old or under. :no

I will say this kid is very backwards and kind of an idiot.

You told this story before. FYI.

That would have ben difficult since this happened yesterday. Perhaps you are confusing this story with the one I told about another friend of hers who thinks obam is the antichrist?

Does anyone know when It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is airing this year?

Nope, but it looks like the Simpsons Halloween psecial this week is going to finally do a parody of the Great Pumpkin.

There's not gonna be a lot of checks and balances if Obama is elected.

Are there any now? And where is the outrage for no checks and balances? Of course the checks and balances are there, but when the administraion says F-U to any attempt to exercise the checks and balances, they are for all intents and purposes non-existant. Can you honestly say you think Obama woudl run roughshod the way Bush has?

Oh, I'm moving to Chicago and voting there, so watch out. :pirate

Talk about spitting into a tsunami -- IL has become so democratic, it would be downright scary to you :lol

Home of Obama, Ayers and Wilco (and me). It is also the home to some of the country's best hospitals though -- NW Memorial and UofC just to name a couple

no one has taken this country down a radical, extremist path in several decades as the bush administration has. i've never before seen anything like the gap between what the parties are offering now. and if this election isn't seen as more consequential than others in the recent past, why are so many people rushing to register and to vote? it isn't just because of the obama campaign's efforts to register people. mccain people are doing it in larger numbers also. every other election i can think of was either medium-interesting or ho-hum to almost everyone, from friends and neighbors to media and politicians, compared to now.

I'd say that is right.

I finally saw celebrities behind Palin at a speech she was giving last night - Hank Williams Jr. and Lee Greenwood (wearing his American flag jacket, of course).

Actually I didn't say that Ikol was spewing hate, but the right certainly is...

Actually the 2000 elections and the 2004 elections were important but not historic. For obvious reasons this one is.

I voted, see you guys in November....actually i voted for a whole passel of Green candidates just in case anyone is interested. What the hell....for President....Obama/Biden. And wore a Wilco shirt....just for the hell of it.

LouieB