Va. pharmacy follows faith, no birth control sales

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm a sinner then because I'm not of the belief that my sole purpose for being on this earth is to procreate.

I should add that although I am Catholic, I do not follow the "thou shalt not use birth control" thing.

I have enough kids and my body physically can't handle another pregnancy.

What about the lady in Arkansas who has 17 kids, I think? Can you imagine what her poor uterus looks like?

I guess I'm a sinner then because I'm not of the belief that my sole purpose for being on this earth is to procreate.

It's not that they believe they are here only to procreate (unless they are quiverfull). As catholics, we can practice NFP, which prevents pregnancy. But, to be open to life means that if there is a chance that there is an accident, you'd be ok with it. I would practice NFP if I didn't have to be on the pill for medical reasons, but since I'm already on the pill...

What about the lady in Arkansas who has 17 kids, I think? Can you imagine what her poor uterus looks like?

They have a reality show on TLC Monday night at 10:00.

Though I laughed, a pharmacy is in the business of providing drugs prescribed by a physician.

Ok, and a restaurant is in the business of providing food craved by my belly. Thankfully there is more than one restaurant (and pharmacy) in Chantilly.

i had to look up what NFP is.

Non-furry p _ _ _ y?

Ok, and a restaurant is in the business of providing food craved by my belly. Thankfully there is more than one restaurant (and pharmacy) in Chantilly.

Well sure, but a pizza joint is not (typically) in the business of selling breakfast foods (unless you

Would folks that don't have a problem with this have a problem with it if this was the only pharmacy in town? In a 25 mile radius? And then isn't it just a matter of degrees? And if it's a matter of degrees, what about slippery slopes?

I'm thinking the slippery slope might be slipperier if there was a legal mandate in a case like this.

Prescription drugs are not the same as abortion. Christ, you can purchase anything you want on the internet.

mail order.

My point is that everyone is falling back on "there's other options." That's fine and I am not worried about this issue because I agree with that. But there could be a slippery slope here. Not everyone has internet access to mail order. Not everyone has a "right" to buy birth control within 25 miles of their house either. But I do find it disturbing that a "pharmacy" starts making moral judgments about what they will or won't sell. You can certainly invent reasons not to sell other medications as well. It's a private business that can and will do whatever it wants. I can admit that and still be troubled by it.

Would folks that don't have a problem with this have a problem with it if this was the only pharmacy in town? In a 25 mile radius? And then isn't it just a matter of degrees? And if it's a matter of degrees, what about slippery slopes?

Not a problem at all if it remained a privately owned entity. I'm pretty sure if the demand was there a store would open up to supply all your jimmy wrap and bc-pill needs.

Now if the towns licensing authority banned the sale of contraceptive devices based on moral or religious beliefs, that would be a different matter.

I'm thinking the slippery slope might be slipperier if there was a legal mandate in a case like this.

Prescription drugs are not the same as abortion. Christ, you can purchase anything you want on the internet.

But it's not prescription drugs vs. abortion. It's prescription drugs vs. contraception. Do we have a legal mandate to penicillin? What if I open a pharmacy and I decide that antibiotics are overprescribed so I don't sell them? Sure, it's my right to do so. No one can stop me. I'd also understand why other people would be bothered by that. Especially in a small town.

But it's not prescription drugs vs. abortion. It's prescription drugs vs. contraception. Do we have a legal mandate to penicillin? What if I open a pharmacy and I decide that antibiotics are overprescribed so I don't sell them? Sure, it's my right to do so. No one can stop me. I'd also understand why other people would be bothered by that. Especially in a small town.

You can be bothered by it.

When you talk about legislating it (which was earlier alluded to but edited), then I am bothered by it.

There actually is a legal mandate in VA--pharmacists cannot pick and choose which prescriptions they will fill. I'm not exactly sure how the pharmacy in Chantilly gets around it, but I think they have, legally and successfully.