Who else needs a job?

That's what I've been working on this morning. Finally completed an epic online form for a staffing agency that hires out temp clerical positions and local manufacturing work. It may not sound very glamorous but I'm actually kind of crossing my fingers in hope that they'll offer me a spot at a furniture manufacturer. At this point, I don't need my job to absolutely define me, I just need it to pay my bills.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vibes to everybody who is in need of work right now. My company was sold about a year ago and we've gone through a few waves of layoffs and general morale is in the crapper for everybody who is still here. People are leaving in droves, both voluntarily and not. I've been dusting off the resume "just in case", but I'd like to avoid job searching in this current market, if I can avoid it.

I've been told that the strangest aspect of my resume is that I've never stayed anywhere longer than 2 years. I've spent the 10 years since my college graduation mostly spinning my wheels. After graduating in 99, I was laid off from my first 3 post-college jobs in rapid succession within a 2 year period. None were my fault, of course, that the companies were sold/relocated/shut-down, but that is a hard thing to explain on your resume when you are just trying to get your career off the ground. (so I understand anyone who feels the need to explain away any 'holes' or peculiarities on their resume)

After that I did a full-fledged career change. There were a lot of miscellaneous temp/contract jobs during the 'transition' period. My first 'real' job in the new career field I wasn't making much money and so I got out as soon as I had enough experience to do so (2 yrs). The next job was probably the only job I've ever had that I really liked, but then (again, after 2 yrs) my family decided to relocate. So that brings me to my current position. I landed this job as an easy, non-challenging position that paid relatively well--enough to get me through the relocation period, but by no means does this job 'define me'. I never intended to stay very long, but yet here I am surprised to find myself rapidly approaching the dreaded 2 year mark. I would definitely consider jumping ship if not for the fact that the market is lousy right now. (also, not wanting to answer the obvious interview question of why I switch jobs every 2 years!) :lol

If anyone is in the Tampa Bay, FL area and needs a job, I can help with leads as I work in employment advertising. I know about openings before they're public. Can't promise anything but drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

OH MY GOD

I just got called by a company I applied to...and it went to voicemail.

My voicemail message is a big joke where I quickly say "Hey...can you hold on a sec, I'm on the other line.....just kidding this is my voicemail"

Oh boy.

OH MY GOD

I just got called by a company I applied to...and it went to voicemail.

My voicemail message is a big joke where I quickly say "Hey...can you hold on a sec, I'm on the other line.....just kidding this is my voicemail"

Oh boy.

Better than an outgoing message like, "Hey, this is your mom's voicemail. She can't come to the phone right now because my ---- is in her mouth" or something like that.

Better than an outgoing message like, "Hey, this is your mom's voicemail. She can't come to the phone right now because my ---- is in her mouth" or something like that.

...or the one I used to have (Arthur Brown's voice) "I AM THE GOD OF HELL-FIRE!"

Damn, that was a good one...

...or the one I used to have (Arthur Brown's voice) "I AM THE GOD OF HELL-FIRE!"

Ha! That is awesome. I used to have the "Cornflakes" bit from The Young Ones on mine.

Rick:: What are you doing, Vyvyan?Vyvyan:: I'm entering a contest to win a Ford Tippex. You have to say what Cornflakes mean to you in 10 words. So I said: Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes, Cornflakes. Cornflakes, Cornflakes, Cornflakes, Cornflakes, Cornflakes.Rick:: Pathetic! You'll never win, Vyvyan.Vyvyan: Why not?Rick: It's only nine words.

I just became unemployed.

Wha? Oy. That rots. Don't they know you have a baby?

If I were calling to offer you a job, I'd give you an instant raise for having that one! :worship

One of my friends was just giving me crap last week about my "weird" outgoing voice mail message, "You're so polite and apologetic! I'm sorry I missed you're call....blah blah blah..." but I've got it that way because I'd hate to miss my chance at a job for having a more casual message.

Wha? Oy. That rots. Don't they know you have a baby?

I really wanted out of that place. My boss has been watching every step I made ever since I got into it with her about the new scheduling situation. She has been collecting things for a month to fire me over. She made me look really bad. Now I am more than broke. I'm starting the job hunt tomorrow and the unemployment office just in case I can't find a job immediately. What a shitty shitty day.

I really wanted out of that place. My boss has been watching every step I made ever since I got into it with her about the new scheduling situation. She has been collecting things for a month to fire me over. She made me look really bad. Now I am more than broke. I'm starting the job hunt tomorrow and the unemployment office just in case I can't find a job immediately. What a shitty shitty day.

Damn Jenna. This really is shitty. Better job vibes coming your way.

I'm in the same boat- expect to make it through the end of the week.....

hang on, evrything happens for a reason, right?

Right????

Move to upstate New York. HUGE nurse shortage up here.