Tips on home recording?

Can anyone make some suggestions on getting into some simple home recordings? I'm not looking to do anything fancy, but I would like to try to record some tunes I've written. Maybe 4 tracks (rhythm and lead guitar, a simple bass line, etc)? I dont really know anything about it and so far my only experience is sitting with an analog tape recorder, pushing the PLAY and RECORD buttons at the same time and playing/singing into the mic hole.

At this point, all I know is that people seem pretty united in the opinion that the Shure SM57 is the microphone I want. What the simplest way for me to DIY at home for fun?

My opinion is an analog 4 track or a digital 8 track. Something you can plug in and start using that also gives you overdub capability. I'm using a computer now, but I kind of wish I wasn't. While I have greater flexibility and can see everything in front of me on the screen, sometimes I'll run into a brick wall and it will take me a day just to figure it out. Really saps the creative juices from flowing. The main reason I use a computer (Cubase) is so that I can use MIDI for drums, strings, synths, and anything I don't have alway avaialble.

And the SM57 is very versatile and affordable.

If you don't plan on using MIDI, I would just get a halfway decent Tascam 4 track, record on quality cassettes. You can always transfer that to digital with Wavelab or something if you want to put it on CD or share it online.

i'd agree, the sm57 is the do it all (for a reasonable price) mic.

for starting out, have to second the good 4 track. good low $ way to get into things. if finances allow,

get something with a lot of I/O options. trust me , you won't regret it.

All good advice...i started with a shure 58 and an old marantz 4 track cassette machine...the yamaha minidisc unit from the late 90's is really good, and cheap now

get some advice here--> http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php as well

Here's one vote for computers.

For starters, Cubase and ProTools can be sort of a bear to pick up (as mentioned above), but there are simpler, more intuitive interfaces out there that make everything a snap. (Garage Tunes for mac, n-track for PC come to mind.) So don't feel like you're going to need to turn into an elite hacker to get the job done.

The main thing I like about digital home recording is that it's easier to understand what you're doing when you mix (including pan and EQ) , overdub, and add effects... And much much easier to undo any of those things if you get them wrong. You sound like you don't have a good compressor or pre-amp or audio reverb or anything -- all the digital workstations have decent plugins to emulate that stuff pretty well. Also you can try a bajillion times to record a part without running out of (or ruining) the tape.

I dunno, that's all just my perspective, but I screwed around with a four-track for awhile and had nothing but frustration. Digital, computer-based recording really is what opened the door for me. Some folks think there's a decline in the quality between analog and digital, and that may be true, but it's worth it for me in terms of ease of use. If you get a beginner-oriented interface, it's just not that hard at all, and you can record as many (or few) parts as you want.

Also I think all the digital interfaces let you download a trial version and try them out, why not give it a shot? Nothing to lose really.

im gonna break the mold here a little and endorse a digital recording console setup. the Boss/Roland models are great. I have a 16-track, but there are many to choose from. They are suberb, user-friendly, and (in a good way) humbling. If anything, i think the "limitations" of mine have forced me to think outside the box and come up with a more creative product than i would have produced with something like a computer. you can get one of these puppies for relatively cheap new, or find em from a reputable source on ebay or something.

best of luck, and hopefully we'll hear something from you real soon!

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. People seem fairly evenly split among the different options, but it's good to hear about the differences (and the pros/cons of each). I will keep asking around -- sounds like I really can't go wrong either way. If anyone has any other thoughts, please keep em coming. Or any other do's/don'ts. Thanks again, Matt

If you have a good computer you might as well go for computer. Golden Smoghead has some good points. I started on Cubase years ago and there's a learning curve (I even took it as a class in college), but I'm going to check out that n-track Golden mentioned. If you can find a program that's simple, computers are great. I'm a visual person so computers are great for that, seeing all the tracks and notes right in front of you.

I'm going to check out that n-track Golden mentioned.

Yeah, I'm checking it out now and it looks pretty awesome, frankly. My concern, as someone else mentioned, is that I will spend too much time learning/struggling with/etc the program. That's time better spent on the crappy song I am writing. :lol

Then again, these programs really appear to make the options limitless... Pretty enticing.

Man, I should've known this wouldn't be easy.

The biggest problem with n-track is that it doesn't have very precise EQ tools, but it's also inexpensive so I feel like it's a good tradeoff. Also I do not use MIDI at all so if you guys do, you may want to look around for opinions on what programs are easiest for midi etc. (n-track claims to work fine with MIDI but i get the impression it's not as oriented towards that as ProTools is, for example.)

n-track is actually the program I use most -- I also have ProTools and Adobe Audition -- and have used it for many years so if you have any questions I can probably help you out. I find it pretty intuitive once you get the basics set up (linking it to your mixer / mic / whatever; getting it to replay to your speakers etc).

to add my .02 for the hardware based recording. i like haveing something other than a mouse to control things. faders and knobs seem more friendly to me.

cubase infuriates me, nuendo looks pretty cool for what i've played around with. but i'm mostly a pro tools person.

you can check craigslist for mics to, one of the kids who works for me also has some mics for sale as well.

if you're doing 4 track recording, its nice to have the hardware. mixing in the box isn't all that much fun imo.

my suggestion is to think where you really want to go with this & then make your choice.

I'm hoping to put together a computer based setup in the next year or so, but for the last couple years I've used this setup with decent results. Certainly more than good enough to make demos and save song ideas:

Tascam Portastudio digital 8 track (this cost me $499 w/ a condensor mic two years ago, but you could probably get one of these for $200 now):

DP-01FX_Top.jpg

With a Shure SM57 and and Audio Technica AT2020 ($100 large diaphragm condensor mic. Mine came w/ the recording machine as a package deal).

MICCONATAT2020.jpg

With just those two mics, I've been able to record all the typical rock band instruments fairly well. I even get a decent drum sound with just two mics (AT2020 overhead, SM57 in front of the bass drum, but off center closer to the snare, pointed up toward the bottom of the snare drum).

Go buy a Shure SM-57, a good mic cable and an Mbox. Protools will come for free with the Mbox. Protools will allow you to do sooo much. It's a program that a novice can use and do exactly what you want to do. Additionally, it is the software choice of professionals, so if you ever want to do "more" with your music, your options for expansion (in many ways) are endless. When I got my Mbox, there was a little booklet on "how to start now." Once everything was installed it took maybe 45 minutes before I was laying down tracks.

A huge advantage for protools (over tape machines, 4 tracks, etc.) is the ability to edit your mistakes out visually. This is far easier than trying to fix a mistake by listening to a measure count, etc. Check out some protools interfaces. You can makes some very professional and very easy recordings in your home.

Go buy a Shure SM-57, a good mic cable and an Mbox. Protools will come for free with the Mbox. Protools will allow you to do sooo much. It's a program that a novice can use and do exactly what you want to do. Additionally, it is the software choice of professionals, so if you ever want to do "more" with your music, your options for expansion (in many ways) are endless. When I got my Mbox, there was a little booklet on "how to start now." Once everything was installed it took maybe 45 minutes before I was laying down tracks.

A huge advantage for protools (over tape machines, 4 tracks, etc.) is the ability to edit your mistakes out visually. This is far easier than trying to fix a mistake by listening to a measure count, etc. Check out some protools interfaces. You can makes some very professional and very easy recordings in your home.

Thanks a.miller. Which Mbox would you suggest?

Thanks a.miller. Which Mbox would you suggest?

I have the first one, which is still going strong, though I don't think they make it any longer. For what you want to do, I think the Mbox 2 will do exactly what you need. This is a great little piece of gear. You can mic up anything and run it through there and even go direct with electric guitars, basses, etc.

The guys at Sweetwater (the place my link is to) are super helpful also. Maybe they could put some sort of package together for you to get your hands dirty with.

Also, I would get these accessories if your budget allows them:

6" Pop Filter -- keeps your "P" and "B" sounds from "popping" when singing.

A Good Mic Stand

Doing home recording is a very cool thing. My roommate has a degree in audio engineering, so I've done a fair bit of putting together my own "idiot's guide" to home recording from the stuff he knows. Feel free to ask any other questions you come across.

I got a question that would fit in here. Anyone have any experience micing up a banjo? I'm talking distances, placement and the like. Also, homemade pop filter - I've seen designs that use nylon and a wire hanger. Do you guys think this would work just as well or should I shell out the 30ish bucks for a legit one?

Also, homemade pop filter - I've seen designs that use nylon and a wire hanger. Do you guys think this would work just as well or should I shell out the 30ish bucks for a legit one?

Yep, that will work just as well. It might not look as pretty, but it will do the same job. Many studios use nylons as replacements on regular pop-filter holders anyway.

I got a question that would fit in here. Anyone have any experience micing up a banjo? I'm talking distances, placement and the like. Also, homemade pop filter - I've seen designs that use nylon and a wire hanger. Do you guys think this would work just as well or should I shell out the 30ish bucks for a legit one?

Nylon will work.

The "standard" placement for a mic on an acoustic guitar is on the 12th fret, centered on the two middle strings (the D and G). You should try to place the microphone as close as you can to the strings without interfering with playing.

However, banjos sometimes sound better when miked on the rim of the body. Depending on the kind of mic you're using (dynamic or condenser), you can try anything between 8" and 3 feet. In many cases, the standard is a only a starting point and might sound like garbage. Do what sounds good to your ear. Depending on the musical passage, you might want a couple different takes using different mic placement and then blend them together in the mix.

Hope that helps some.

Awesome, thanks again everyone.

Next question: I went into this endeavor half assuming that I'd be going analog. And that with analog, there'd be the usual tape hiss and imperfections. That was fine with me for many reasons -- first, my apt isn't soundproofed so nothing I record would be perfect, second, I know my way around a fretboard but I am no Nels Cline. I figured that the warmth and tape hiss of an analog recording would sit well with these two facts.

Now that I am leaning to digital recording with Mbox2 and Protools (or garageband or ntrack), I am wondering if those two factors above are like oil to my newly discovered water. I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that with digital recordings comes much cleaner recordings. And with much cleaner recordings, comes the much more obvious distractions of a nonsoundproofed room (or perfectly placed mic). Not to mention, a flub here or there on the guitar or bass in my hands.

Can anyone weigh in with thoughts on this? In other words, I went in expecting to record some tunes with a rough GBV or eels feel to them. If I go digital, will I just be highlighting the unavoidable imperfections?

I can't really weigh in on your issue but I use a Boss Micro BR to record, that's it, no special mics, nothin' else. I mostly DI for everything (except acoustic/vocals, which I record at the same time, 1 track and straight into the little condenser mic on the thing), and I don't have a bass so I plug in my guitar and use the bass effects, and it works pretty well. I think once I "mic'd" my guitar amp but that involved a lot of volume lowering to make sure it wouldn't destroy the recording itself. I'm really happy with it, though. It's digital, I think, but with the on-board condenser mic I think it gets close to the analog thing you might be looking for.