New Springsteen Jan 27th

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Springsteen Prepping 'Darkness' Reissue

January 23, 2009 11:31 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Bruce Springsteen is about to release a new album and play the Super Bowl XLIII halftime show, but there's another project in the works that will be received joyously by fans: a deluxe reissue of 1978's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" that will be similar to Columbia's 2005 30th-anniversary boxed set treatment of "Born to Run."

The "Darkness" package "would involve remastering that record, doing the kind of super-creative reconstruction and documentary of how it all came about and finding usable live footage from that point in time," Springsteen manager Jon Landau tells Billboard. "That's a big one, and not that far from completion, and when we can find six weeks to sit down and finish it I'm sure we will."

"Born to Run" included a Grammy-winning documentary about its creation and a 1975 concert from London. It was a huge hit with fans, debuting at No. 18 on The Billboard 200 with first-week sales of more than 53,000 copies.

One endeavor dividing Springsteen devotees down the middle is the Wal-Mart exclusive "Greatest Hits" album, which went on sale Jan. 13. Landau protects Springsteen's image fiercely, and the controversy surrounding the deal did not escape his attention.

"I know these discussions happen online and elsewhere, and I don't want to get bogged down in them, but let's start with the premise that Bruce is already in Wal-Mart," Landau says. "Wal-Mart has been 15% of our sales in recent years. It's not a question of going into Wal-Mart; we're there. They, and other retailers, are all looking for some way to differentiate themselves, and we try to accommodate each one."

Besides, Landau adds, "We're not doing any advertising for Wal-Mart. We haven't endorsed Wal-Mart or anybody else. We're letting Sony do its job making sure the record is well-presented in as many places as possible."

Springsteen and the E Street Band will return to the road this summer, with a handful of European stadium dates having been announced so far.

Listening for the first time - 'Outlaw Pete' really does sound like that KISS song.

Outlaw Pete is fucking awful. It would only be mediocre, but he draws it out so long, and that damn string section. Horrible. After that anything on the album sounds pretty decent. But, it's all fairly mediocre compared to Magic.

Bad lyrics, super trite. Very Americana Scrabble, cut and paste rustic image-stuff going on.

I think it's plausible that some day a box set of pre-E Street material will be released. There's tons of originals from the Castilles, Steel Mill and gobs and gobs of solo acoustic, folkie-material. I don't think any of that would be on Tracks 2, but perhaps when Bruce is in his 70's or (GULP) deceased, the floodgates will open.

And then there is this:

The Lost Masters: Introduction

In the spring of 1996, word quickly spread of a 19-CD set called "The Lost Masters" consisting of studio outtakes, home demos, and rehearsal sessions from Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band from the years 1977-1983. In addition to the 19 discs, two "Best of" sets would also be released and would include bonus tracks not found elsewhere in the set.The discs were to be released individually in groups of five or so and the first five surfaced in early summer.

The CDs can basically be broken down into 5 segments: Darkness outtakes (2 CDs), River outtakes (2 CDs), home demos (4 CDs), rehearsal sessions (5 CDs), and Hollywood Hills garage tapes (3 CDs).

Rounding out the set are the complete Nebraska sessions, Born in the USA outtakes, and "Big Expendables", which consists of studio outtakes from The River, home demos, and rehearsal sessions.

Set Contents:

The Lost Masters Volume 01 - Alone in Colts Neck - The Complete Nebraska Session

The Lost Masters Volume 02 - One Way Street - Darkness Masters Volume 1

The Lost Masters Volume 03 - Rattling The Chains - Darkness Masters Volume 2

The Lost Masters Volume 04 - Big Expendables - Songs That Got Away

The Lost Masters Volume 05 - Heaven's Dawn - Unreleased River Masters Volume 1

The Lost Masters Volume 06 - Travel in Fear - Unreleased River Masters Volume 2

The Lost Masters Volume 07 - Stockton Boy - Solo Masters Volume 1

The Lost Masters Volume 08 - Under The Gun - Solo Masters Volume 2

The Lost Masters Volume 09 - Love is a Gun - Solo Masters Volume 3

The Lost Masters Volume 10 - Jesse James and The Wages of Sin - Solo Masters Volume 4

The Lost Masters Volume 11 - Walk Don't Run - The Telegraph Hill Rehearsals Volume 1

The Lost Masters Volume 12 - Buddy Holly Revisited - The Telegraph Hill Rehearsals Volume 2

The Lost Masters Volume 13 - Restless Days - The Telegraph Hill Rehearsals Volume 3

The Lost Masters Volume 14 - Out On The Run - The Telegraph Hill Rehearsals Volume 4

The Lost Masters Volume 15 - Slow Fade - The Telegraph Hills Rehearsals Volume 5

The Lost Masters Volume 16 - Hollywood Hills Garage Tapes - Unreleased Masters Volume 1

The Lost Masters Volume 17 - Hollywood Hills Garage Tapes - Unreleased Masters Volume 2

The Lost Masters Volume 18 - Hollywood Hills Garage Tapes - Unreleased Masters Volume 3

The Lost Masters Volume 19 - Born in the U.S.A. - Rare Masters

The Lost Masters Essential Collections Volume 1 (Disc One & Two) Compilation + Bonus tracks

The Lost Masters Essential Collections Volume 2 (Disc One & Two) Compilation + Bonus tracks

I know someone who probably paid a lot of money to buy those back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Daily News asks you for the dope, you say man the dope is that there's still hope." I couldn't resist that. Well, it sold significantly less than "Magic" in its first week, which makes lots of sense to me, as "Magic," was very good to great. It'll be interesting to see how much the Super Bowl helps week 2 sales. If history is any indicator it probably means he'll be number one again.

BY JIM FARBER

DAILY NEWS MUSIC CRITIC

Tuesday, February 3rd 2009, 1:26 AM

Bruce Springsteen was a winner, too, on Super Bowl Sunday. Squire/Getty

The Pittsburgh Steelers took home the Super Bowl trophy - but Bruce Springsteen is taking home the cash.

The Boss' 12-minute energetic, bust-it-loose halftime show skyrocketed sales of his new CD "Working on a Dream" and will dramatically boost ticket sales for his upcoming tour, music insiders say.

Industry sources say the new CD will open at No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album list when it's published tomorrow.

It will be The Boss' ninth No.1 album.

The Hitsdailydouble.com Web site pegs "Dream" sales between 225,000 and 250,000 units - strong for an older artist in a depressed market, though below opening week sales of his previous CD, "Magic."

That disk moved 335,000 the first week and went on to sell more than 1 million copies, Nielsen SoundScan reports.

Still, "Dream" will outperform the debut of another recent Bruce No. 1: "Devils & Dust," which opened with 222,000 sales in 2005.

"In these times when sales are down overall, to sell more than 150,000 or 200,000 in a week is still something to be proud of," said Billboard chart analyst Keith Caulfield.

The full impact of Springsteen's Super Bowl performance won't be felt this week since Nielsen/SoundScan cuts off its accounting of sales on Sunday nights.

That means Springsteen stands a good chance to hold his No. 1 slot for a second week as well.

Sunday night sales did figure into his digital performance, as witnessed on the iTunes and Amazon.com charts.

On Amazon, Springsteen holds the No. 1 and 2 slots with a deluxe version of the "Dreams" set and the regular one, respectively.

On iTunes' top 10, the two "Dreams" sets occupy the No. 2 and No. 5 slots, the former taken by the deluxe version, the latter by the regular.

The dazzling Super Bowl performance - which began when he told some 100 million viewers to "put the chicken fingers down and turn your television all the way up," and included an across-the-stage knee slide - is sure to pump up ticket sales for Springsteen's upcoming tour.

The ducats went on sale Monday.

Readers of The Boss' fan Web site, Backstreets.com, have reported system crashes around the nation at Ticketmaster due to an overload of ticket requests.

Springsteen's last tour in 2007-08 was the most successful of his career, grossing more than $230 million worldwide.

The new tour, which kicks off April 1 in San Jose, Calif., comes to our area May 4, at the Nassau Coliseum, and May 21 and 23 at the Izod Arena in the Meadowlands.

Bruce, INC.

i kinda think that sucks.

good point. isn't that the way things are these days. artists are corporations with every kind of shit to sell. ironically, most of these corps are aging people that can't tour forever and are way past their prime. but each year, they make more and more money.

I just got the new issue of Rolling Stone in the mail (I get it free - by way of Amazon.com - no way I would pay for that magazine these days)

Is that it? I've been wondering how the hell I've been getting Rolling Stone for free.

good point. isn't that the way things are these days. artists are corporations with every kind of shit to sell. ironically, most of these corps are aging people that can't tour forever and are way past their prime. but each year, they make more and more money.

This is why I think people who bitch about corporate rock are funny. They forget or don

Outlaw Pete is fucking awful. It would only be mediocre, but he draws it out so long, and that damn string section. Horrible. After that anything on the album sounds pretty decent. But, it's all fairly mediocre compared to Magic.

Bad lyrics, super trite. Very Americana Scrabble, cut and paste rustic image-stuff going on.

And that would be your opinion.

And then there is this:

I know someone who probably paid a lot of money to buy those back in the day.

And now available as a bit torrent.

The internets...wonderful thing.