I know it is easy to complain about this lists, but if i am correct, I see no Beatles songs on here...a little ridiculous.
Don't know if anyone has seen the list (you can find it by simply doing a Google search), but.....if anyone gives a rat's ass about what Pitchfork thinks....Wilco got 2 songs in their list of 500 best songs of the past 3 decades:

I don't have much a problem with the Wilco inclusions.

We could all nitpick the hell out most of it, but the thing that bothers me most about Pitchfork's list is the specific songs they selected for artists who only got one mention. I could list many, but here's a few examples:

Smog - Teenage Spaceship

Spoon - The Way We Get By

Duran Duran - The Chauffer

Replacements - I Will Dare

Blondie - Atomic

Godspeed You Black Emporor - Storm

It makes me want to read the book, to read WHY they chose those specific songs.

The Godspeed selection is particularly troubling. The song is from an amazing album that has only 4 tracks, and anyone who's heard it would almost surely tell you that the song, "They Don't Sleep Anymore on the Beach" is the standout, not "Storm." It's freaking awesome.

And I didn't see any Vic Chesnutt or Big Star (Sister Lovers qualified) or Chris Bell....

I don't have much a problem with the Wilco inclusions.

We could all nitpick the hell out most of it, but the thing that bothers me most about Pitchfork's list is the specific songs they selected for artists who only got one mention. I could list many, but here's a few examples:

Smog - Teenage Spaceship

Spoon - The Way We Get By

Duran Duran - The Chauffer

Replacements - I Will Dare

Blondie - Atomic

Godspeed You Black Emporor - Storm

It makes me want to read the book, to read WHY they chose those specific songs.

The Godspeed selection is particularly troubling. The song is from an amazing album that has only 4 tracks, and anyone who's heard it would almost surely tell you that the song, "They Don't Sleep Anymore on the Beach" is the standout, not "Storm." It's freaking awesome.

And I didn't see any Vic Chesnutt or Big Star (Sister Lovers qualified) or Chris Bell....

They also listed The Replacements' Bastards of Young... but I agree with your point in principle. There is no way Big Star should be absent from that list.

Nothing really bothers me off a quick glance. Happy to see that the Clash basically owned that list for whatever time period (they had at least 1 in each they were active), though there seemed to only be one Talking Heads song (Psycho Killer) which kinda sucked (Tom Tom Club made it though). While 'Guns of Brixton' is a rather curious choice given 'London Calling,' 'Spanish Bombs,' and etc., it's good that Pitchfork is giving the lesser known tracks a voice.

They really should have just put the image for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea under 1997-1999, I mean, that whole album is simply perfection. And I would have rather chose Staralfur off of Agaetis byrjun, but I can't complain.

Nothing really bothers me off a quick glance. Happy to see that the Clash basically owned that list for whatever time period (they had at least 1 in each they were active), though there seemed to only be one Talking Heads song (Psycho Killer) which kinda sucked (Tom Tom Club made it though). While 'Guns of Brixton' is a rather curious choice given 'London Calling,' 'Spanish Bombs,' and etc., it's good that Pitchfork is giving the lesser known tracks a voice.

They really should have just put the image for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea under 1997-1999, I mean, that whole album is simply perfection. And I would have rather chose Staralfur off of Agaetis byrjun, but I can't complain.

I picked this up on the weekend and have enjoyed working my way through it.

There are a few Talking Heads songs on the list actually, though I can't recall what they are right now (I think "Born Under Punches" is one of them).

I found it interesting to note that, according to this list, Prince is the best songwriter of the last 30 years: He's the only songwriter with 5 tracks on the list (4 by him and Sinead O'Connor's cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U").

I found it interesting to note that, according to this list, Prince is the best songwriter of the last 30 years: He's the only songwriter with 5 tracks on the list (4 by him and Sinead O'Connor's cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U").

It's finally happened. I agree with Pitchfork on something.

What's he written since then that you thinks deserves a spot?

Infidels, man. Nearly anything off of that record - hell, "Blind Willie McTell" is one of his best tunes and it didn't even make the cut!