Glide Magazine

I do not get that Dead Confederate band AT ALL. I read a lot of comparisons to MMJ, but I hear a lot of Seven Mary Three.

I live in Atlanta and Dead Confederate are from here. I've never heard them, except for about 30 seconds of their Conan O'Brien appearance. It didn't seem like something I'd enjoy. They get tons of press and praise in Atlanta. It's interesting to see that they're getting some attention in other places, too. Atlanta bands, until somewhat recently (and with some notable exceptions), have typically failed to get much national/international attention.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out some of the albums in the list I haven't heard. I like the Calexico and Helio Sequence a lot. Helio Sequence paticularly; some of it sounds like it could be straight from the 80s and some sounds like Dylan outtakes. Really good.

Changing the subject (alot), I have to give Coldplay some props here. I am not a fan or anything, but these guys have put out a really catchy single Viva la Vida: it has a nice catchy tune, decent lyrics and a nice sound. Unlike much of what we discuss here, there guys are still trying to get airplay and they have certainly done it. They could put out some shit at this point and they didn't. Well done!!!

LouieB

Changing the subject (alot), I have to give Coldplay some props here. I am not a fan or anything, but these guys have put out a really catchy single Viva la Vida: it has a nice catchy tune, decent lyrics and a nice sound. Unlike much of what we discuss here, there guys are still trying to get airplay and they have certainly done it. They could put out some shit at this point and they didn't. Well done!!!

LouieB

i read that they want to knock out one more good album and then quit. stop while you're ahead.

I saw Dead Confederate at Sasquatch (Where I also saw/heard Fleet Foxes for the first time). If you want to talk about derivative then Dead Confederate are your band. They came off like a southern Nirvana even in the lead singers way of holding the guitar. But they didn't completely piss me off either. I can do derivative. The Explorer's Club were one of my favorites this past year and they completely rip off the beach boys in every way. That being said, I'm not a huge live music guy, but the fleet foxes at Sasquatch were really swell.

I checked out some of the albums in the list I haven't heard. I like the Calexico and Helio Sequence a lot. Helio Sequence paticularly; some of it sounds like it could be straight from the 80s and some sounds like Dylan outtakes. Really good.

Yeah I like the Helio Sequence record a lot and haven't seen it mentioned much - thanks to EL KEV for pointing it out.

This list seems suspect to me since there has never been a year in which I have listened to less new music than this one and even I have heard most of these records. Mostly because many of the artists are hold-overs from when I used to actually listen to new music. Beck? Malkmus? Portishead?? Thanks for making me feel like I'm still "hip", but while those records were pleasant enough "veteran" offerings (excpet maybe that Portishead record), even I didn't get all that excited over them. Is there really nothing more exciting out there this year?

Incidentally, I have long been a reader of Glide's Hidden Track blog. Probably a bit more on the jammy side for most people's taste around here, but there is frequently some good stuff there.

This list seems suspect to me since there has never been a year in which I have listened to less new music than this one and even I have heard most of these records. Mostly because many of the artists are hold-overs from when I used to actually listen to new music. Beck? Malkmus? Portishead?? Thanks for making me feel like I'm still "hip", but while those records were pleasant enough "veteran" offerings (excpet maybe that Portishead record), even I didn't get all that excited over them. Is there really nothing more exciting out there this year?

than those records? yes... their most definitely is

than those records? yes... their most definitely is

That's good to hear. :lol

I liked the sound clip from Dr. Dog there, although its not exactly what I thought they sounded like, somehow. Maybe I'll check them out. I never could get into the Bon Iver record. Calexico I can take in small doses.

Calexico, while a very fine band, has put out a rather weak album (yes I have heard the entire thing) and while it is okay, it is hard to believe it is one of the best of the year. If it is, this is a terribly weak year for music. Then again, none of this should be surprising. The music biz is fractured all to hell anyway, so finding good stuff in what is a very large pool is getting increasingly difficult.

LouieB

I saw Dead Confederate at Sasquatch (Where I also saw/heard Fleet Foxes for the first time). If you want to talk about derivative then Dead Confederate are your band. They came off like a southern Nirvana even in the lead singers way of holding the guitar. But they didn't completely piss me off either. I can do derivative. The Explorer's Club were one of my favorites this past year and they completely rip off the beach boys in every way. That being said, I'm not a huge live music guy, but the fleet foxes at Sasquatch were really swell.

Couldn't agree with you more, nodep. I saw Fleet Foxes seven (eek) times this year, and that was my favorite performance. It's the first time I saw them in front of a REALLY big crowd and they seemed so overwhelmed, bemused and excited that the hometown crowd was responding so enthusiastically.

You can play "name that influence" with the Fleet Foxes record all day long, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's beautifully produced, spare and haunting, and bottom line, doesn't sound like anything else that came out this year.

What does it mean to not be a huge live music guy? Does that mean you don't get out all that much to see live music? Or does it mean you don't like live music? And if it's the latter, what the heck is wrong with you? :P

LouieB

I agree about that song. It IS a great tune and deserving of radio play. The rest of the record, as a whole, doesn't come close to living up to the single.

Another album (besides The Stand-Ins) that's hugely deserving is The Walkmen's You and Me. I've only heard about 10 of Glides's top 40 picks, but You and Me tops them all.

Also....I LOVE about the first half of Modern Guilt. But then drops off. A good album....but not worthy of top 20.

From reading your posts, I'm forced to wonder if you actually like music. Have you ever liked a single band discussed on this board?

please look above as many folks here are less than pleased with this list. some saying they don't like any of it.

What does it mean to not be a huge live music guy? Does that mean you don't get out all that much to see live music? Or does it mean you don't like live music? And if it's the latter, what the heck is wrong with you? :P

I don't have time to explain what all is possibly wrong with me, but I've noticed in the last 5 years that I don't get that awesome anticipatory/intensely crazy feeling when i'm at a show (maybe because i no longer rush up to the front). Also I also think live albums are kind of like (it sounds better on the studio album) why do i want a weaker version with poor sound quality. Anyway. I'm a studio album comfort dude. I use to have my mind blown by Wilco live, now I just think this is me an my wife's big night out.

This is not as depressing as it sounds!

I agree about that song. It IS a great tune and deserving of radio play. The rest of the record, as a whole, doesn't come close to living up to the single.

Another album (besides The Stand-Ins) that's hugely deserving is The Walkmen's You and Me. I've only heard about 10 of Glides's top 40 picks, but You and Me tops them all.

Also....I LOVE about the first half of Modern Guilt. But then drops off. A good album....but not worthy of top 20.

Agreed on Walkmen! On a side note I am seeing them on next Tuesday and can't wait!

:dancing

Really? I love Modern Guilt and feel, while there are stronger and weaker tracks, overall it holds my attention throughout. Walls (part of the second half of the album) is my favorite track.

I haven't heard the Walkmen album yet. What's it like? I really like the music on The Stand-Ins, but absolutely loathe the singer's vocal style.

Whether its a conscious decision or not, I think veteran artists are oftentimes unfairly overlooked for these year-end lists. It becomes much easier to pick apart what you don't like about an artist's seventh album by comparing it to previous better works, while celebrating the shiny newness of bands with nothing else to go on.

(Yes, the above is a generalization.)

Anyway, I think it has been a fairly weak year this year. Most of the albums I remember being very impressed with after a few early listens aren't as good after I revisit them. There doesn't seem to be any timeless classics this year, and one of my favorites, School of Language - Sea From Shore, isn't showing up anywhere and always downgraded when put up next to The Week That Was.

Plus, I think Modern Guilt is one of Beck's best -- lean and mean and closes with two of his best songs.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop.

I haven't listened to a Beck album since Mutations, so I'm probably more out of the loop than you.

I bought a lot of music this year, but I think the only '08 albums I've bought are:

McCoy Tyner: Guitars

Mary Halvorson Trio: Dragon's Head

Dr. Dog: Fate

Deerhunter: Microcastle (I only ordered it last week, so I don't have it yet)

Dungen: 4

Kings of Leon: I can never remember the name of this.

I like all of those, so that's my best of 2008 list.

What's this like? I saw the personnel listing and it looks seriously tits. I'll have to get it.

I love it. It's on my top ten of the year list. Make no mistake though. This is definitely one of those "Supernatural" type albums where an aging icon gets a bunch of young guns to guest on a very accessible album. Still, it's got some great shit going on.

What's this like? I saw the personnel listing and it looks seriously tits. I'll have to get it.

It's pretty wide ranging in terms of style. It strikes me as more of a "McCoy Tyner Trio backing up several guitarists who take the spotlight" album than a "several guitarists sit in with the McCoy Tyner Trio" album...if that makes any sense. The trio have their opportunities to shine, but the guitars are the dominant voice throughout most of the album. The hilights to me are the songs with Marc Ribot and Derek Trucks, but it also has John Scofield, Bill Frisell and Bela Fleck.