Glide Magazine

Moe, that's what I was afraid of, and that Supernatural remark is scary!!!

I'm going to pick it up, but looking at the tracklist it looks kid of boring. I was hoping they would do some collaborative writing rather than play standards. Can't wait to hear the Ribot/Tyner improvisations, though. I saw there's a DVD with it. Any good?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I love Modern Guilt and feel, while there are stronger and weaker tracks, overall it holds my attention throughout. Walls (part of the second half of the album) is my favorite track.

I haven't heard the Walkmen album yet. What's it like? I really like the music on The Stand-Ins, but absolutely loathe the singer's vocal style.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on Modern Guilt. I haven't bought a ton of new music this year and I'd put Modern Guilt no better than 6th or 7th on my own list. So I'm assuming there have been other albums better. I think it's good. But not in the great category that I'd place a few others.

Hard to explain the sound of You and Me. It's got a melancholy feel to it, sometimes bare in sound, other times like a late night bar band. Kind of has different textures and sounds...including the singer's voice, which is amazing (no, he doesn't sound like Okkervil's singer, which I can understand people not getting into.) Lyrically, it's all about relationships.

I don't get as amped for live shows as I used to, but can't imagine just writing off live shows all together.

Mix a little social anxiety disorder and equal parts claustrophobia and agoraphobia and you get Crow's big night out!!!

Mary Halvorson Trio: Dragon's Head

sick album. she is just something else!

Totally. I have a few records she's on, but this is the first one I've heard that does her playing justice. Highly recommended for folks who like the Nels Cline Singers cds.

Totally. I have a few records she's on, but this is the first one I've heard that does her playing justice. Highly recommended for folks who like the Nels Cline Singers cds.

what else has she plalyed on? any recommendations?

I don't have time to explain what all is possibly wrong with me, but I've noticed in the last 5 years that I don't get that awesome anticipatory/intensely crazy feeling when i'm at a show (maybe because i no longer rush up to the front). Also I also think live albums are kind of like (it sounds better on the studio album) why do i want a weaker version with poor sound quality. Anyway. I'm a studio album comfort dude. I use to have my mind blown by Wilco live, now I just think this is me an my wife's big night out.

This is not as depressing as it sounds!

I tend to agree here. I no longer have a lot of desire to get out and see bands live anymore. I absolutely dread going to large venue shows and have for a very long time, but over the past eight or nine years I

what else has she plalyed on? any recommendations?

Well, I have "On and Off" by Mary Halverson and Jessica Pavone. I'm not that into that one. Something seems lacking about it, and I don't think Jessica Pavone is quite up to par as a violinist...or maybe it's viola, I can't recall (I have extremely high standards when it comes to violins/violas, thanks to Carla Kihlstedt and Jenny Schienman).

I also have Taylor Ho Bynum's "The Middle Picture" which she's on. This one is good, but I was a little let down. I saw her play last year with Bynum, Pavone and Thomas Fujiwara, and they were fantastic. I got both of those cds at their concert, and in comparison the albums fell short.

I know she plays in numerous groups. Probably the highest profile ones are Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant (along w/ the drummer Ches Smith who plays on "Dragon's Head") and Anthony Braxton. There are a couple good youtube clips of Trio Convulsant gigs.

Here's a list of all her projects:

http://www.maryhalvorson.com/bands/

(Sidebar: When I poked fun earlier about who doesn't like live music, I didn't mean to suggest that dealing with talkers, hipsters, meatheads, smokers, snorters, stoners, pukers, drunks, baseball hats, crappy opening bands, etc. was enjoyable. Going to see live music sucks ass. Except for the live music part. That's all I meant.)

i dig the Tokyo one, but it was outside of my top 50. their EP's were way way better.

I can kind of tell that Tokyo Police Club is an ok band with fairly good songs, but something about the album is hard to listen to. The vocals are mixed way too high for my liking, and overall maybe it's yet another victim of the mastering volume wars. Not necessarily bad music, but a bad sounding album.

I don't mind Tokyo Police Club, they're nothing spectacular but they do know how to write a catchy tune and they have a pretty fun live show.

On the other hand I am glad to see Glide gave some love to Kathleen Edwards and Plants and Animals, there has been so many good Canadian records released this year that aren't getting recognized enough on these end of the year lists.

i just think that TPC kind of molded themselves into this Death Cab meets Decemberists (mostly just the vocals) hybrid band, whereas the EP's they had a bit more distinct and more original sound.

you're right, they definitely write a catchy hook, no doubt

(Sidebar: When I poked fun earlier about who doesn't like live music, I didn't mean to suggest that dealing with talkers, hipsters, meatheads, smokers, snorters, stoners, pukers, drunks, baseball hats, crappy opening bands, etc. was enjoyable. Going to see live music sucks ass. Except for the live music part. That's all I meant.)

it's a major hassle. especially when you get a bit older and it becomes a bit harder to ignore the ridiculousness of it all. bar shows starting at midnight, parking fees, opening bands, drunk dudes, etc.

Well, I have "On and Off" by Mary Halverson and Jessica Pavone. I'm not that into that one. Something seems lacking about it, and I don't think Jessica Pavone is quite up to par as a violinist...or maybe it's viola, I can't recall (I have extremely high standards when it comes to violins/violas, thanks to Carla Kihlstedt and Jenny Schienman).

I also have Taylor Ho Bynum's "The Middle Picture" which she's on. This one is good, but I was a little let down. I saw her play last year with Bynum, Pavone and Thomas Fujiwara, and they were fantastic. I got both of those cds at their concert, and in comparison the albums fell short.

I know she plays in numerous groups. Probably the highest profile ones are Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant (along w/ the drummer Ches Smith who plays on "Dragon's Head") and Anthony Braxton. There are a couple good youtube clips of Trio Convulsant gigs.

Here's a list of all her projects:

http://www.maryhalvorson.com/bands/

thanks for the info. i have seen those youtube clips. they're pretty good. i 'll check out the other stuff she's been on. jenny schienman's ablum this year was great too.