Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finally realizing that his "nice guy" persona is a carefully cultivated image constructed for the media. The guy's a douche.

My understanding, from listening to some comedians talk about Leno, is that he is a nice guy and has always been a nice guy, and his work ethic and talent as a comic were greatly respected. However: they were disappointed with the quality of the Tonight Show, during his tenure. But more importantly, to most of them, they were hurt by his decision to not allow guest hosts during his vacations (obviously, guest-hosting the Tonight Show was a great stepping-stone for comedians in the past); and, he doesn't book as many comedians or showcase them in the way that other hosts did (obviously for this generation of comics, that means Johnny).

I think he's never recovered from the dust-up with Letterman, I think this is a self-esteem thing with him, about having to be on-top in this genre. It's obviously not about money.

This thread is funny, in a really predictable way.

You mean that the mostly city-dwelling fans of a semi-obscure alt-something indie-ish band are siding on a discussion board with the hipper, funnier guy who is apparently getting screwed, instead of the overstuffed aw-shucks mediocre guy who was supposed to be retired by now? How'd you ever come up with that observation??

You mean that the mostly city-dwelling fans of a semi-obscure alt-something indie-ish band are siding on a discussion board with the hipper, funnier guy who is apparently getting screwed, instead of the overstuffed aw-shucks mediocre guy who was supposed to be retired by now? How'd you ever come up with that observation??

I'm not sure I see how conan is getting screwed. He is (seemingly) going to get a lot of money from both NBC and FOX and his show was doing pretty poorly and he comes out of this smelling of roses.

If Leno goes instead and Conan stays on air, is that a garauntee of success for him? If he fails on the Tonight Show, which seems like a pretty realistic possibility all things considered, he fades into relative obscurity. Instead now, he gets all the sympathy for this and probably gets a pile of money to do whatever he wants on FOX, which he doesn't have the luxury of in his current situation.

I love Conan, and he'll be fine. I really can't get on board with the idea that Leno is pulling the strings making this all happen, it's an unfortunate situation and it's a business. He's been there for almost 2 decades, he should understand that NBC (NOT leno) is doing what it feels will be the best scenario for their bottom line.

I also think it's really funny that people that have reiterated over and over their immense dislike of Leno not just in this thread but in others on this board feel the need to keep reminding us of how much they dislike Leno. Let's stop pretending it has to do with this situation and everything to do with leno. Wasn't there a thread where he got ripped for doing a free show in Detroit or something? It's just silly.

You can laugh all you want, but it was a HUGE concern of Jay's to maintain a show for his employees.

The part you all gloss over is that Leno agreed to the earlier show because he was guaranteed 2 years, assuming his ratings were at a certain level. And they were. NBC will be stuck paying Leno his money, 'cause the Leno show did what it said it'd do.

I predict the job eventually goes to Conan.

Either Leno will concede it, or NBC will pay a butt-load to Leno. Leno probably despises NBC right now for its boneheaded-ness, so will do all he can to make sure they have to give him money.

Yeah, Conan's hipper and cooler. Heck, I like Conan a LOT. His Late Night show was incredibly awesome. His show seemed a little off for a long while on the Tonight Show, but lately seems to be finding it's groove. I'm good with Conan staying on the Tonight Show.

But I also understand why so many like Jay. His monologue doesn't pick sides and is quite good. And many like he's not grumpy like Letterman or forced-crazy like Conan can be at times. Jay seems more real to many late night watchers.

I'm surprised so many here are weighing in on this. I thought anything other than Colbert or Stewart was considered too low-brow.

Guest Speed Racer

If he fails on the Tonight Show, which seems like a pretty realistic possibility all things considered,

But you're making that assessment based on ratings that coincide with Jay's show. That's like lining up two brands of chocolate ice cream, and being suprised that most people want to stick with the brand they're used to and get to bed early.

I love Conan, and he'll be fine. I really can't get on board with the idea that Leno is pulling the strings making this all happen, it's an unfortunate situation and it's a business. He's been there for almost 2 decades, he should understand that NBC (NOT leno) is doing what it feels will be the best scenario for their bottom line.

I don't care about Leno one way or the other; while I find him to be unfunny, it's clear that many Americans do think he's funny. That being said, it doesn't matter whether he's pulling strings or not - he can just flippin' retire like he said he would, and everything would be fine. That's the part of this scenario that he has control of, that he refuses to exercise.

But you're making that assessment based on ratings that coincide with Jay's show. That's like lining up two brands of chocolate ice cream, and being suprised that most people want to stick with the brand they're used to and get to bed early.

I don't care about Leno one way or the other; while I find him to be unfunny, it's clear that many Americans do think he's funny. That being said, it doesn't matter whether he's pulling strings or not - he can just flippin' retire like he said he would, and everything would be fine. That's the part of this scenario that he has control of, that he refuses to exercise.

This.

Guest Speed Racer

You can laugh all you want, but it was a HUGE concern of Jay's to maintain a show for his employees.

If his employees aren't smart enough, connected enough or lucky enough to find a job with 5 years' notice, 7 years' notice isn't going to improve their odds all that much (and might also explain why his show is so unfunny).

I'm no making crap up when I say Leno is concerned for his staff.

He may in fact retire from late night, but his staff thought they'd have a couple years. If Leno decides to pass on the half-hour show, he'll first make sure he gets a huge payout or lines up another show somewhere else.

Guest Speed Racer

his staff thought they'd have a couple years.

His staff work in the entertainment industry. I'm pretty sure they understand that, even in the face of contracts, their jobs are not stable.

(and might also explain why his show is so unfunny).

Huh. I've always found much of his show funny....the monolouge, headlines, Ross the intern, Fred Willard's bits, various comedians who do remotes for Jay, Jaywalking, his quips with the audience and guests...

Please tell me where the REAL funny is on late night.

Guest Speed Racer

Please tell me where the REAL funny is on late night.

VC, sometimes. Facebook after bar close, occasionally. Books, the company of friends and family. Not television, though - never television, really.

Jay Leno used to be a great guest on Letterman. They should work out some deal where he maybe does a Jaywalking segment twice a week on Conan's show, and he does stand-up and/or is a sit-down guest once a month. Conan keeps his show, and Leno gets to come off as the benevolent elder statesman. :yes

Guest Speed Racer

Oh! Don't forget Jack Van Impe Presents!

and Leno gets to come off as the benevolent elder statesman. :yes

As opposed to the Michael Jordon of Comedy, the title he is quickly crafting for himself.

Jay Leno used to be a great guest on Letterman. They should work out some deal where he maybe does a Jaywalking segment twice a week on Conan's show, and he does stand-up and/or is a sit-down guest once a month. Conan keeps his show, and Leno gets to come off as the benevolent elder statesman. :yes

I like this idea, actually. It seems Jay wouldn't do it, though.

Leno was guaranteed 2 years of his new show. His new ratings lived up to expectations.

The part you all gloss over is that Leno agreed to the earlier show because he was guaranteed 2 years, assuming his ratings were at a certain level. And they were.

Mr. Leno, meanwhile, moved to prime time in September as the host of “The Jay Leno Show.” But the 10 p.m. experiment was a bust for many NBC affiliates, which have seen the ratings for their late local newscasts plummet.

Amid mounting pressure to scrap the talk show

where is your evidence that Leno has lived up to the ratings expectations? what I've read shows that Leno's abysmal ratings have lead (at least in part) to this retarded move.

can you imagine Leno's reaction if NBC had tried to bump him half an hour later 7 months into him taking over for Johnny? (of course in that case it probably would have worked since Johnny was such a great interviewer. hmm...)

I don't know of anyone who thought this half hour pre-tonight show show of Leno's was a good idea. Now that it has apparently failed they want to throw a wrench at Conan's tenure, and I think it's shitty, leaving the Leno & Conan pros and cons aside.