Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

Guest Speed Racer

What you miss, Poongoogler, is that JN never specified whatNBC's ratings expectations were for Leno's show. For all we know, their expectation was that Leno's immediate family and three close friends would watch three nights out of the week. :lol

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that the ratings for Leno's show itself, while not stellar, are pretty much what everyone expected. What wasn't expected was the negative impact his show was going to have on local news at 11pm (down approx 30% on avg). People seem to be used to getting their Leno fix and turning in for the night, regardless of what time he's on.

Every time I've tuned into Conan's Tonight Show, I've laughed. I haven't watched often enough to really analyze, but I don't see the slump in comedy others are perceiving. I haven't seen anything that exactly matches the classic moments of Late Night, but those classic moments spanned over a decade, and he hasn't even had this gig for one year. I'm happy with the new Tonight Show and think it'd be a shame to mess with it. I'm not a Leno-basher either, I found his Tonight Show just as funny. I only saw his 10pm show once, maybe partly twice, but did not laugh once.

My understanding is that the ratings for Leno's show itself, while not stellar, are pretty much what everyone expected. What wasn't expected was the negative impact his show was going to have on local news at 11pm (down approx 30% on avg).

It was expected, though. The Boston affiliate, for one, tried to stop the Leno show from airing here because they knew the 11 o'clock news ratings would tank.

Taken from Wikipedia....someone asked about Jay's ratings so ...

"Ratings

Leno did not expect his show to beat competing first-run episodes, but to do better than reruns, in part because topical jokes benefit from the "immediacy" of the time slot versus 11:30 pm. A television analyst predicted that Leno would finish in "a safe third place" every night. NBC research before the show's debut indicated that fans of Leno would watch Leno two to three times a week.

NBC sees a 1.5 rating for the show in the 18–49 demographic as "viable" and a 1.8 as a "home run". NBC told Leno that at a 1.5 rating, NBC makes $300 million a year. Tonight at 11:30 pm earned about a 1.3 to 1.5 the television audience at 10 pm is 40% larger than at 11:30 pm, and the network hopes Leno's audience will also grow. Industry observers have cited a range of ratings, from 1.7 to 2, as being necessary for the show to succeed at 10 pm. By comparison, 2.5 is generally necessary for a 10 pm drama to succeed; those that earned a 1.7 or less during the 2008–2009 season were canceled.NBC's prime-time dramas averaged about 2 during 2008–2009.

The first episode of The Jay Leno Show earned "fast national" estimates of 17.7 million viewers, an 11 Nielsen rating (5.1 among persons 18–49) and an 18 share, significantly above both his Tonight finale and the debut of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien in all categories By the second week and competing against season premieres, the audience fell to six million viewers, still on par with or exceeding NBC projections. As of November 1, 2009, The Jay Leno Show has averaged a 1.98 in the adults 18–49 ratings and 6.594 million viewers.

Though the show has been meeting the network's projections, it has been severely detrimental to the ratings of the late local news on NBC affiliates. Several stations across the country have seen what is known as the "Leno Effect", where the lower audience for Leno (as compared to NBC's scripted prime time offerings) is translating directly into severe audience drops for late local news (on the order of 25–30%), effects that NBC had underestimated"

Conan's ratings along with ABC's Nightline...Jan. 11, 2010 News On News

"ABC News “Nightline” was #1 among Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the week of December 28, 2009 outperforming NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” and CBS’ “Late Show with David Letterman,” according to Nielsen Media Research. This marks the twenty-eighth consecutive week “Nightline” beat NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” among Total Viewers. It is also the first time “Nightline” has beaten “The Tonight Show” for that many weeks since at least the 91/92 season, which is as far back as records date. Additionally, “Nightline” posted its best A25-54 and total viewer deliveries in a month.

“Nightline” continues to experience growth. Compared to last year, “Nightline” increased +19% among Total Viewers while “Tonight” in comparison has declined -55%. Season to date, “Nightline” is up +1% among Total Viewers while “Tonight” decreased -50%. Week to week, “Nightline” is up +4% among Total Viewers while “Tonight” declined -16%.

Among Adults 25-54, “Nightline” grew +17% compared to last year while “Tonight” declined -41% and “Letterman” decreased -3%. Week to week, “Nightline” grew +6% while “Tonight” declined -20% and “Letterman” was down -11%. Among Adults 18-49, “Nightline” increased +7% versus last year while “Tonight” declined -35% and “Letterman” declined -13%.

*Note: For the week of December 28, ratings for “Nightline,” “Letterman” and “Tonight Show” were based on a 3-day average (Monday-Wednesday). “Letterman” and “Tonight Show” aired repeats last week.

It was expected, though. The Boston affiliate, for one, tried to stop the Leno show from airing here because they knew the 11 o'clock news ratings would tank.

that reply was so predictable

you and your "logic" and "relevance"

douche.

Glad to see Leno's getting his old show back. I'm sure this will be tough for Conan and his fans.

I loved Leno on the Tonight Show, but his 10pm show just wasn't the same. I've noticed since Conan took over I've been watching The Colbert Report a lot more (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Glad to see Leno's getting his old show back. I'm sure this will be tough for Conan and his fans.

I loved Leno on the Tonight Show, but his 10pm show just wasn't the same. I've noticed since Conan took over I've been watching The Colbert Report a lot more (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Leno isn't getting his "old show back", but NBC plans to give him his time slot back with The Jay Leno Show while NBC moves the Tonight Show to 12:05.

Leno isn't getting his "old show back", but NBC plans to give him his time slot back with The Jay Leno Show while NBC moves the Tonight Show to 12:05.

Who is going to take over the tonight show then, now that Conan announced that he's leaving?

LOL!

Jimmy Kimmel is completely dressed up as Jay Lamo doing his monolog (as my friend who loves Conan calls him).

Oh man! He's still in character. Put it on ABC for a good laugh.

The hair and chin and random head shakes are amazing along with the voice!

He's currently doing Headlines with one of his band members laughing like Kevin Eubanks.

Edit: Yes, Chevy Chase is dressed up as Conan in character.

Who is going to take over the tonight show then, now that Conan announced that he's leaving?

There's a link earlier in the thread. I'll paraphrase it by stating that Conan basically released a statement saying he's not going anywhere, but he's not conforming with NBC's proposed idea. It utterly upsets him.

I'm not sure I see how conan is getting screwed. He is (seemingly) going to get a lot of money from both NBC and FOX and his show was doing pretty poorly and he comes out of this smelling of roses.

I probably shouldn't engage you on this bobbob, but of course, I will, and maybe the simple answer here is that Conan just wants to do the Tonight Show on NBC? And he was promised it, and signed a contract to do it? Sure, NBC can cancel the contract, and he will still get paid, but maybe this isn't about money for him? Maybe that's how Conan is getting screwed?

Of course, NBC can do whatever they want, and all's fair in TV-land, but I think most impartial observers would say that Conan didn't get a fair shot -- even if his show was doing poorly. And of course, if NBC pays him, they aren't really violating the contract. But I don't think that means Conan isn't getting screwed. Is that really your position?

Guest Speed Racer

Based on Associated Press articles and the Jay Leno Show Wikipedia page, NBC stands to lose $30 million whether they cancel Conan or Leno. I cannot fathom in my mind why they would want to lose $30 million and the Tonight Show. Regardless of whether they put Leno in that spot, they'll have to fill it with someone else eventually; if Conan leaves NBC I don't think he'll go back, and I don't know who would fill that slot who's as funny as Conan, and I certainly don't know who would fill that slot who could be as funny as Leno, and I don't think Leno's funny.

maybe the simple answer here is that Conan just wants to do the Tonight Show on NBC?

Exactly. It's not about the money at all as far as I can tell, it's about what the Tonight Show means to Conan, and what it used to mean (and still could mean) to late night television.