No Electricity, No Heat - New England

I had seen pictures of people shoveling snow off of their roofs before (probably Buffalo?) but I had never done it myself until '07, when we got 2 feet in 24 hours. 6 foot drift on my garage roof (directly above where our boiler sits). It was the biggest blizzard here since '78 - I hope it's another 30 years before that shit happens again!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Decembers ago, St. Louis had a pretty bad storm leaving a large chunk of the area powerless. Same thing happened that July, too. I was really lucky that I never lost power during the winter storm, but four days without AC in July was horrid. I feel for you guys.

There is a porch roof sticking out from the building here where I live - with no posts supporting it. I am surprised it has never collapsed due to the weight of snow. Although, we have not really had much of a winter for a while, until recently.

Our house at the time was over 100 years old -- and the garage (a shack more than a garage) actually did collapse that winter. One of the walls that would normally be perpendicular to the ground was at about 10 o'clock, and the roof was sagging accordingly. We built a new one the next spring :D

So while the power is slowly but surely coming back on the devastation to the trees is just awful!!! :ohwell

Like I said last night, most of Worcester is fine but towns like the ones I live in...omg! I just can't imagine what it's going to look like in the spring and fall. We've lost SO much. It'll take many, many years for our landscape to recover. Again I'm glad I've heard of no deaths or injuries but the beating that the world around us has taken is just so devastating.

"War zone" and "mass destruction" are the two most common terms I keep hearing around me...*sigh*

Wow, as a native Californian, these stories are so foreign to me....I mean, CA definitely has its own share of natural disasters (Earthquakes/firestorms/mudslides) but listening to the talles you tell, I understand why my folks moved here from Minnesota and Wisconsin. Dad loved to take us up into the mountains to play in the snow, but he loved being able to "visit" the snow, and leave when we were tired of it!

I hope all your trees recover from their torn limbs. So sad.

M.Chris, in looking at your photo, I thought I should point out....did you notice, there's a HOUSE under there???!!! :stunned

Guest Speed Racer

Totally doesn't compare at all, but we had rain => ice today here in Minneapolis. Having not been outside all day I hopped on my bike with gusto, only to careen down my driveway, entangled in my bike, like a hockey puck. I turned around rather than continue on my venture. :lol

Totally doesn't compare at all, but we had rain => ice today here in Minneapolis. Having not been outside all day I hopped on my bike with gusto, only to careen down my driveway, entangled in my bike, like a hockey puck. I turned around rather than continue on my venture. :lol

Ouch! You be careful out there, you buncha pucks! :P

My well wishes go out to everyone and anyone affected by the icy (though the scenery is quite beautiful if you allow yourself to sort of step outside of all the negative consequences) apocalypse that has rendered many sections of New England cold and dark.

We too found ourselves without heat and electricity until late last night. Fortunately, my in-laws did not lose power, so we waited out the worst of it there. I don

So it's only getting worse for some people...

There's a town up the road still without electricity, heat, water and some even food and two big snowstorms on the way. There's an elderly couple in that town caring for their 50 yr old paraplegic son who can't leave. Some people are being told they won't be up and running until AFTER Christmas. These poor people...electricians, firefighters, police, National Guard, etc. are working around the clock.

My boss/friend/neighbor two doors over still has no power and they just got heat and hot water back yesterday due to a generator being run into the building. Most schools are closed for the week. This is just awful. What a bad time of year too. One of my friends and her husband had to spend all their Christmas money on a generator for their house and six kids...*sigh* I can't help out too much now unfortunately but after tax time, I'll be headed up her way.

Vibes and prayers out to all those still affected...

Based on our weather map, it should start snowing here any time now and last until late tonight. Between this and the snow they're calling for on Sunday, we're predicted to get at least 9 inches. Quite a few of my students have been scrambling to reschedule flights home for the semester break. I especially feel bad for one who was supposed to be headed to Arizona Wednesday night. They canceled his flight because of too much air traffic, and I know the weather in the midwest was bad yesterday and that it's headed east. Hopefully he made it out of here yesterday or this morning.

I can't believe there are still people without power. I hope New England doesn't get hit as hard as we're supposed to, or at least that the Red Cross and other organizations are setting up plenty of shelters and other relief programs.

Based on our weather map, it should start snowing here any time now and last until late tonight. Between this and the snow they're calling for on Sunday, we're predicted to get at least 9 inches. Quite a few of my students have been scrambling to reschedule flights home for the semester break. I especially feel bad for one who was supposed to be headed to Arizona Wednesday night. They canceled his flight because of too much air traffic, and I know the weather in the midwest was bad yesterday and that it's headed east. Hopefully he made it out of here yesterday or this morning.

I can't believe there are still people without power. I hope New England doesn't get hit as hard as we're supposed to, or at least that the Red Cross and other organizations are setting up plenty of shelters and other relief programs.

I picked a great weekend to MOVE! :(

Hope everyone is safe this weekend!

We're expecting 11 to 18 inches over Massachusetts.

On my hour drive home today (which usually takes about 15 mins), I noticed there were plenty of electrical trucks still out there working through the storm. God bless them and all the others who have thrown their entire lives into trying to get those in need back up and running as soon as possible!