Neko's Middle Cyclone

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to post this, so I am glad folks already did. A fantastic article on Neko; lots of interesting stuff. I didn't check the link, but the actual hard copy has great pics too, hope they are on the website.

And to think that the last couple big articles in the NYT mag about musicians were about folks who used to hang out at the Hideout.

LouieB

Um. Yeah. I don't do much DLing anymore, but I might have to make an exception in this case (plus, I know I'll be buying the disc eventually).

Of course, I wouldn't even know where to find it, so if anyone wants to PM me with a hint...

edit: thanks to all who responded! (There were many of you) :)

This post comes from the future-past! It includes thanks for several posters.

Statements like this belong in the Lost thread

I agree with Kyle, too short, and not her best, but it is good. Feels like something that will sound better with more listens too.

it's not the first time i've been a little bummed by the length of some of her songs, but the ones that are under 2 minutes or just barely over seem to be almost a cocktease on here :lol

The lengths of most of her songs is one of the things I like most about her songwriting and music in general. The fact that she never feels the need to tack anything on when it doesn't add much.

It also lends more weight to those songs that do have a lot to say, like Star Witness or South Tacoma Way.

i guess often i just feel like she's got a great story started, or a great chorus built-up, and then bam... it ends. but that feels like the case more often than not on this album for me, previously it didn't really bother me enough to complain i guess.

i love short songs, esp short pop songs, but when your music is pretty mellow and slower, sometimes 2-2.5 minutes doesn't really give you much time i guess.

re: Star Witness... that's one (if not) her best songs ever, and I think in that case the length helps it for me...

this album is def a much mellower and slower affair, that much isn't debateable.

I'm just starting my first listen. This is definitely one my most anticipated releases of the year, and 3 tracks in and I'm in love. This Tornado Loves You is super eeiry and has a beautiful build, the 2nd track is great, and I love it's short length (very reminiscient of Outro With Bees), and I actually really love the single. Her phrasing is great and the dynamics moving in and out of the 2nd verse are great.

I'm just starting my first listen. This is definitely one my most anticipated releases of the year, and 3 tracks in and I'm in love. This Tornado Loves You is super eeiry and has a beautiful build, the 2nd track is great, and I love it's short length (very reminiscient of Outro With Bees), and I actually really love the single. Her phrasing is great and the dynamics moving in and out of the 2nd verse are great.

Are you planning on covering any of these on your next album?

I'm on my second listen and I'm still just intrigued with it all (the short song lengths really don't help), none of it really hits you over the head right off the bat, and that might be a good thing. I really enjoy Vengeance Is Sleeping and a few others but it's really tough to say if it's crap or just a purely mediocre, middle of the road record.

Are you planning on covering any of these on your next album?

Ya know, this morning I got a message from the administrators saying I couldn't use this user name anymore because you can't have a username that is the name of a living person... very sad that Michael Bolton will no longer be roaming these boards. But to answer your question, yes.

Oh, and Magpie to the Morning is one of the most beautiful songs I've every heard

I'm on my second listen and I'm still just intrigued with it all (the short song lengths really don't help), none of it really hits you over the head right off the bat, and that might be a good thing. I really enjoy Vengeance Is Sleeping and a few others but it's really tough to say if it's crap or just a purely mediocre, middle of the road record.

i wouldn't say it's either yet... it's definitely got a couple very very good songs, but other than 1-2 exceptions, all of the songs have a very similiar tone, style, and tempo, which i think is my biggest problem getting into it fully. there's also not a total knockout ala Star Witness or Deep Red Bells for me just yet (both of those songs kicked my ass on first listen fwiw.)