Favorite post 1980 Neil Young Record

1990-Ragged Glory

As far as I am concerned, RG is the second real crazy horse record (the first being EKTIN). just neil and the band. no random tunes from other sessions thrown in and no cheese. that being said, i have a hard time listening to this all the way through. some of the lyrics are terrible and some of the songs do have a toss of feel to them. i love country home, white line, over and over. the love songs are a bit long for me, but still pretty good. mansion on hill is ok, but natural anthem is pretty bad. the album does have a bit of late 80s slickness to it, but it's as good, if not better, than freedom and very consistent. is this the best album post 80?

It's Crazy Horse Version 2.0. Poncho for Danny. I think Ragged Glory is amazing. "Mother Earth" is okay. Everything else is vintage Horse. It's ragged (imagine that). Loose and sloppy at times. The Horse with off-key, yelling-from-the-distance harmonies. There's a live feel to the album. There's long, meandering guitar solos. It's a spontaneous effort. My only complaint with it is that "Don't Spook the Horse" wasn't included. For me, an all-time classic album. As far as the second "real Crazy Horse album" goes. . . .

a613228348a0855eb4cae010.L.jpg

70's

60's

90's

00's

80's

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sleeps With Angels is my favorite of his post-80 output. It was one of the first NY albums I bought on CD, and it took me about 7 years to get into it, but the whole album just spooks me out emotionally...which not many albums do.

Mirror Ball is an excellent road trip album. Yeah, it drones a bit, and as I heard someone say, the songs probably took a total of 40 minutes to write, but there's really not a bad track on the whole album.

Broken Arrow is another excellent album, provided you can get beyond the lack of chord changes in Loose Change and the C+ audience recording at the end of the disc.

I also want to put a good word in for Trans. I agree that the light acoustic stuff at the start of each side of the album sucks, but the vocoder stuff is freaking awesome. Computer Age may be in my top 5 favorite Neil songs.

funny thing about trans is that the production is so warm and great. and yes, the vocoder tune are really good songs.

It's Crazy Horse Version 2.0. Poncho for Danny. I think Ragged Glory is amazing. "Mother Earth" is okay. Everything else is vintage Horse. It's ragged (imagine that). Loose and sloppy at times. The Horse with off-key, yelling-from-the-distance harmonies. There's a live feel to the album. There's long, meandering guitar solos. It's a spontaneous effort. My only complaint with it is that "Don't Spook the Horse" wasn't included. For me, an all-time classic album. As far as the second "real Crazy Horse album" goes. . . .

a613228348a0855eb4cae010.L.jpg

yeah, zuma is good. i just wish it was all electric with out the two acoustic tunes thrown in. and yes, i wish spook was the last song rather than natural anthem on RG.

Neil Young 1960's vs. 1970's. . . Let me pull an Analogman here.

I think his 60's output is very good. I think the 70's output is absolutely amazing.

well i know that the quantity isn't there, because he only got his "official" recording start in 1966... so the 70's has 6 years on the 60's...

so pick a 4 year window in the 70's to compare and i'd say it's pretty damn close. sure his 70's output wins by default just because of how MUCH he put out during that timeframe.

i don't think you'd find anyone who would disagree that Neil's peak was from 1969 to 1975 :thumbup

1991-Weld

over produced live album, but what a comeback live album.

1992-Harvest Moon

This may be the best of the post 1980 era. again, nothing as amazing as the 70s, except unknown legend. i saw neil on his solo tour before this released and was amazed at the songs. there's a bit of 80s goofiness thrown in on a few songs, but it hangs together well. unfortunately, i can't think of any stand out tracks besides unknown legend. as an album it's okay and a nice 'return to form', but no amazing tracks. hank to hendrix is kinda goofy, dreamin' man has such an intrusive back up vocal, such a woman is pure schlock, natural beauty is neil grasping for another cortez.

all in all, i'd say it comes in third behind freedom and RG. RG is pure horse, with it's faults while Freedom was neil finally getting back to what he does best.

1993-Unplugged

this is just a great live album. a gift to the fans. i love the versions of old laughing lady and mr soul. string man is good as is look out for my love. wish neil would give us a live album after each tour like he did in the early 90s.

I have a soft spot for any album that is connected to a live show that I saw (Weld, Harvest Moon, Greendale). Like Solace, I think Greendale holds up well (Bandit, in particular) ... and I still watch the film occasionally. The Ryman concert film is moving and beautifully shot, and Prairie Wind has some really strong songs. Silver & Gold has its moments, too.

Harvest Moon is one of my favorite of all Neil albums. The title track and "From Hank to Hendrix" rank up there with anything he's ever written.

+1

Neil's Unplugged set is a fine record as well-- the solo organ version of Like A Hurricane is a killer, and you can't do much wrong with Nils Lofgren and Nicolette Larson behind you.

I'd throw my hat in for "WELD" also. I do think its overproduced and so do Neil's ears. But its a great Rock and Roll record.

I'll have to give this another spin. I bet I've listened to it once in the past decade, and then maybe only to hear the rockin' version of Crime in the City.

Ahhhhh. It's the company line. Okay then.

in Shakey, it talks about how neil just tinkered the shit out it with perpetual overdubs and slickness. after reading this and listening, i can see this.

c

1994-Sleeps with angels

prolly the best post 1980. the 200s are another story. silver and gold is classic as is greendale. i really think those two records, although not containing and hits, are the essence of neil young. the songwriting, the production, and the accompanying musicians.

1995-Mirrorball-an acquired taste. i know it's cliche, but i wish it was produced better. there are some classic riffs on there, but it's a hard album to listen to all the way through.

1996-Broken Arrow-Awesome pure crazy horse album. Loose Change does go on too long though and I wish he would've put Interstate in instead of that awful last track.

1999-Looking Forward CSNY

Slowpoke and Looking Forward are incredible. if i remember correctly, neil was gonna put out an album called Slowpoke. then CSNY stole those songs and neil put out silver and gold.

are you passionate is such a missed opportunity. love the production, but the songs are just laughable.

hey, while we are talking about Neil, how does he get that low E string buzz in certain songs? Is it a dropped tuning or what? That is crazy, listen to Ambulance Blues for the baddest string buzz in rock history. Cool stuff!