Favorite post 1980 Neil Young Record

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised by the lack of love "Freedom" has gotten so far.

Maybe I have a fond spot for it because I saw Neil spotlight the album at Poplar Creek before it came out--playing a whole bunch of new tunes off the album........and I managed to get a pretty good AUD recording of the show too (just Neil for most of the show....I think Poncho and Ralph Molina backed him up on a few tunes). Whatever the case, "Freedom" gets on the player way more than "Ragged Glory".

I would say:

Ragged Glory

Mirror Ball

Arc/Weld

Prairie Wind

I kinda dug Greendale for a bit...but the stage show kinda creeped me out for some reason.

Maybe I have a fond spot for it because I saw Neil spotlight the album at Poplar Creek before it came out--playing a whole bunch of new tunes off the album........and I managed to get a pretty good AUD recording of the show too (just Neil for most of the show....I think Poncho and Ralph Molina backed him up on a few tunes). Whatever the case, "Freedom" gets on the player way more than "Ragged Glory".

I have to agree. I got Freedom on cassette when it first came out and sat and listened to it in my car over and over. I found myself going back to that one much more than Ragged Glory which I also love. It's got some real hidden gems like "No More". Only issue I have now is I am burnt out on "Rockin in the free world" because I use to play it in a band (like every other bar band out there).

Greendale I thought was brilliant. Once I saw him do the entire album solo acoustic I was hooked. Amazing songs.

I didn't include Freedom in my trio, but it's right there with them. Mirror Ball is very, very good. As is Sleeps With Angels, Silver & Gold, Living With War, and Prairie Wind. I know I'll be in the minority here, but I also love Broken Arrow. "I'm still livin' the dream we had. For me it's not over." R.I.P. David Briggs.

Freedom might be the greatest comeback record ever, IMO! Also LOVE Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon & Sleeps w/ Angels. Really like Prairie Wind. Sometimes appreciate Arc/Weld, but regret spending so much to get the full box set. There are some tremendous songs on Mirror Ball, but I hardly ever listen to it. I think 1989-1994 is as strong of an era as Neil has had. Of course, I was but a youngster in the 70s (born in 1970) so I didn't get to fully appreciate his other material as new releases.

I know there's not a lot of love for the Bluenotes record, but anyone who saw that tour knows there were some killer evenings with that lineup.

In no particular order:

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Harvest Moon - these three in a row showed the old man was as vital as ever

Living With War

and, just to be obstinate, Re-ac-tor - lots of good guitar on that record imo

I just want to say that I'm sure when it comes to some of my favorite musicians I can struggle for objectivity. For example, I've heard few Ryan Adams songs that I don't like and don't understand the "he needs an editor" crap. That being said, I think I'm a pretty objective Neil Young fan, and if you listen to an album like Freedom and you hear a bunch of quality songs, well then we are never going to agree (not that you care). I must say that post 1980 Neil Young can give me the cringe effect quite a bit. Like when you go out an buy Prairie Wind and you are digging it, and you think man he has done it, and then all of sudden he qoutes Chris Rock in a song. Ouch. I just think he has struggled for consistency in the last 25 years and at times has created some truly unlistenable songs during this time. If he wasn't Neil Young some of these albums would be laughed at. Listen to the second song on Freedom for example!

I just think he has struggled for consistency in the last 25 years

An intentional lack of consistency is the definition of his entire career. He has basically said that himself in numerous interviews.

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I also love Broken Arrow.

I haven't listened to that one in some time, but I like the first half of it quite a bit.(love the first song, especially) I can see that one being an acquired taste, though. Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon are damn solid, though.

The lack of chord change in "Loose Change" kills it for most folks.

I'll have to pull that one out and listen to it. The "one note" Cinnamon Girl guitar solo went over great...maybe that concept doesn't work so well when applied to a whole song.

You don't like "Crime in the City"? I like the Horsed-up version on Weld better, but I'd still put the acoustic version above something, like, say, "Magick." ;)

Ok, now I knew that bringing up my love for Ryan Adams in the same breath of dissing anything Neil Young has done would raise some eyebrows, but I'm going to politely disagree that "Crime In the City" holds a candle to "Magick". Is "Magick" a relatively thoughtless throw away rock song? yes! Do I keep going back to it, and does it make me feel good/funny/etc Yes! Ryan hit the nail on the head, he wrote a mindless rock song that rocks. Has he written more high brow songs in his life? Yes, but that is not what "Magick" or "Halloween Head" or most of Rock and Roll (the album) are. When he just wants to write a simple rock song he can, and does very well.

now "Crime in the City" is some socio political statment that has no melody, nothing musically to hang your cap on and politically conscious lyrics that make me cringe. I will never listen to that song again. It made me feel nothing, except sad for Neil having written it. Just because a song tackles an important issue or heavy issue doesn't make it a good song. I wish neil would just write 1000 songs about love, for example "Good to See You" off of Silver and Gold is outstanding. Ok he has written 1000 songs about love, I'll take 1000 more.

Now you can tear me apart.