The Long Cut on Conan

Sorry if it's been asked before, but is Uncle Tupelo's Conan performance online anywhere? Can't find it on youtube.

The DVD Project - Volume 27

Uncle Tupelo, Wilco

TV Appearances, Disc 1

1. Uncle Tupelo - Miss. River Center Benefit - May, 1989

2. Uncle Tupelo - Critical Mass - December, 1989

3. Uncle Tupelo - The Long Cut - Late Night with Conan O'Brien - February, 1994

4. Wilco - Box Full Of Letters - Late Night with Conan O'Brien - February, 1995

5. Wilco - Box Full Of Letters - VH1 acoustic - date unknown

6. Wilco - MTV News Segment - March, 1995

7. Wilco - CNN Headline News Segment - date unknown

8. Wilco - Lola da Musica - May, 1997

Yeah, I'm probably reading too much into it, since Jay was allegedly not happy about the appearance.

No, man. I'm with you. Maybe I am reading into it too, but I have seen Jay before. The guy never looks happy to be there. But he won't even look up in this video.

Um, Jay's a dick. He comes off as so reclusive and unappreciative. Jeff's songs always stood out on the Tupelo records, too. That may be biased coming from a Wilco fan but it may not be.

I'll politely disagree. Uncle Tupelo shows Jeff's growth as a songwriter while Jay was already in his prime. Jeff's gradual rise in his songwriting abilities has been on the steady incline since those days while Jay's has been on the steady decline.

IMO if you were to chart it out their paths would cross in roughly 1996 and only recently have they taken very minute steps back towards "the middle."

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I'll politely disagree. Uncle Tupelo shows Jeff's growth as a songwriter while Jay was already in his prime. Jeff's gradual rise in his songwriting abilities has been on the steady incline since those days while Jay's has been on the steady decline.

IMO if you were to chart it out their paths would cross in roughly 1996 and only recently have they taken very minute steps back towards "the middle."

i happen to agree with you almost completely. i certainly wouldn't say jay's first two son volt albums were a decline from his days with UT though. at all. but the original statement of UT showing jeff's growth while jay already being in his prime is spot on.

i love jeff's stuff on No Depression, but that album clearly shows that Jay was already a songwriter at that time, while Jeff was just starting to become one. by anodyne, jeff had nearly caught up. by being there, jeff had taken the lead.

This appearance on Conan changed my musical life. This is what introduced me to Tupelo back in the day, and the rest is history. I noticed on the response above that Wilco also played Box Full of Letters on Conan. Anyone have that to post.

After watching this again, I have to agree that Jay took his normal sulking to a whole other level here. I would have accidently back handed him with my telecaster if I was Jeff. BTW, saw the bottle rockets about a year after this was aired and they were selling those Harley T shirts. Of course I had to snag one. Sweet shirt for a nice little band.

Although Jeff and Jay weren't getting along at the time, this appearance isn't significantly different from Uncle Tupelo's overall live experience. They were a pretty average/slightly above average band to see live. Wilco in every incarnation has been a much better live act in my view.

That's pretty much what Jay looks like in every concert video I've seen of him.

And the couple of times I've seen him live as well....

I'd love to see them do this song again together sometime, but I think the odds of that are probably approaching the odds of seeing John and Paul play together again.

i just saw this.. i got a few videos from the dvd project, including tupelos last show. this clip came in the extra features.. id imagine jay farrar wasnt much fun to be in a band with. but as a funny side note, conan looks so 90s cheesy. its weird that was more than ten years ago.

Is that Max on the slide?

Dude. Next time we see them, if you don't ask about UT & Wilco, I will. :pirate

As far as jay's pouty appearance, wasn't that the cool way to act at the time? Indifferent and angry? Sulky?

Jeff looks like a fuckin' rock star!!