This year's Oscars

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I'm quite surprised at Viola Davis' nomination. I understand it was a tough role but to me it seemed so small compared to that of Amy Adams.

Just a thought...

Among the foreign language noms, Waltz With Bashir looks great - I hope I catch that in a theater.

Iron Man should've been nominated in all those techy categories.

Is Wall-E's screenplay nomination the first for an animated feature?

I have to say I'm quite surprised at Viola Davis' nomination. I understand it was a tough role but to me it seemed so small compared to that of Amy Adams.

Just a thought...

She went toe to toe with Meryl in a very emotionally complex scene. When I came out of that film, her performance was the most memorable thing about that movie for me. I think she deserves it.

She went toe to toe with Meryl in a very emotionally complex scene. When I came out of that film, her performance was the most memorable thing about that movie for me. I think she deserves it.

Understood.

BEST PICTURE:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

I haven't seen ANY of these, but....

Milk is probably a good pick, even if most movie-goers don't see it. Not something I'm interested in seeing, but everything I've heard about it is stellar.

Frost/Nixon sounds interesting, and seems Oscar-worthy. Maybe a little dry in subject matter.

Slumdog Millionaire...I'm glad this got nominated. Sounds like a crowd-pleaser for the most part.

The Reader. I got nothing. Sounds like Winslett did a good job.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. People I know who have seen it say it's long and kinda boring. Supposedly looks really great, but not much else going for it.

The list strikes me as an Academy Best Picture list that will enhance its reputation as being uppity and out-of-touch with American movie-goers. Though they've always mostly nominated movies that are more obscure and non-mainstream, we HAVE seen movies like Lord of the Rings, Little Miss Sunshine, Full Monty, Fargo, Apollo 13, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Unforgiven, A Few Good Men, E.T......

Maybe nothing "mainstream" was worthy this year, but I get a feeling the average person watching the Oscars this year won't give a crap about any of these.

And what about the best song nominees?!

BEST SONG:

Peter Gabriel,

Not to be an asshole, but if you haven't seen any of these, why comment on them?

If you read on further, I said that, based what I've read and heard (though I can't see as many movies as I'd like to, I DO read many reviews and always like to hear what friends/family think of movies), the list seems pretty good BUT.....a couple of the nominations (Benjamin Button and Reader) seem debatable.

My basic point is to how bland of a list it must appear to be to the average movie-goer. Selfishly, I would have LOVED to see something a little quirky or off-the-wall or more mainstream get a nomination (Gran Torino, Wall-E, Iron Man, Synecdoche NY, Burn After Reading...)

On the surface, the list just wreaks of Oscar snobbery and bland-ness.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Is Wall-E's screenplay nomination the first for an animated feature?

No.

1995 - Toy Story -- Screenplay by Joss Whedon, Andrew Stanton, Joel Cohen, Alec Sokolow; Story by John Lasseter, Peter Docter, Andrew Stanton, Joe Ranft

2001 - Shrek -- Written by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Joe Stillman and Roger S.H. Schulman

2003 - Finding Nemo -- Screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson and David Reynolds; Original Story by Andrew Stanton

2004- The Incredibles -- Written by Brad Bird

2007 - Ratatouille -- Screenplay by Brad Bird; Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird

I haven't seen basically any movies nominated for Oscars this year. Boo.

If you read on further, I said that, based what I've read and heard (though I can't see as many movies as I'd like to, I DO read many reviews and always like to hear what friends/family think of movies), the list seems pretty good BUT.....a couple of the nominations (Benjamin Button and Reader) seem debatable.

I did read on further, and what I read merely confirmed that you did not, in fact, see any of those films.

I read many reviews too ... that doesn't mean I know anything substantive about the films I've read about.

Come on, are you going to tell me that anything in the quotation below really contributes to this discussion?

Milk is probably a good pick, even if most movie-goers don't see it. Not something I'm interested in seeing, but everything I've heard about it is stellar.

Frost/Nixon sounds interesting, and seems Oscar-worthy. Maybe a little dry in subject matter.

Slumdog Millionaire...I'm glad this got nominated. Sounds like a crowd-pleaser for the most part.

The Reader. I got nothing. Sounds like Winslett did a good job.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. People I know who have seen it say it's long and kinda boring. Supposedly looks really great, but not much else going for it.

No worries. I'm guessing the fact that you've not seen any of the nominees puts you on par with a large percentage of the Academy voters.

Come on, are you going to tell me that anything in the quotation below really contributes to this discussion?

Maybe not. But it surpasses your contribution.

I think I at least made a contribution regarding Best Song. That category list IS a joke. And yes, Mr. Grumpy, I have listened the to all the songs.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I am just happy the Dark Knight didn't get anything but the Ledger nod and the technical stuff.

I second that one. I hope Ledger wins, and nothing else. If the TDK editor wins, I will be royally annoyed.

Is it really that unusual that most of the general public hasn't seen these movies yet? A lot of Oscar contenders are given a limited release just to be eligible thereby making it difficult, if not impossible, for a majority of movie-goers to see them yet.

Not really. I haven't seen any of them, so I didn't say anything about them. My contribution was exactly what it should have been.

Fair enough....regarding Best Movie. Feel free to chip in if you have any opinion on the 179 or so other categories.

I'll add that Wall-E is head and shoulders above Bolt and Kung Fu Panda.

Kung Fu Panda: Funny, light and entertaining. A great movie for kids. But no real depth.

Bolt: Good entertainment and decent message and story. But seemed a little "been there, done that'.

Is it really that unusual that most of the general public hasn't seen these movies yet? A lot of Oscar contenders are given a limited release just to be eligible thereby making it difficult, if not impossible, for a majority of movie-goers to see them yet.

This is an interesting article about this from my local newspaper (and employer). It has specifics to this area but it applies most everywhere. They do a limited release to be eligible and continuously build hype and expand markets to keep sucking in dough through the nomination and after the awards. This is different than say Epic Movie, where it's number one at the box office for one weekend then quickly drops off. I remember when I lived in a big market you could go see some of the Oscar movies in the theatre for like a 6-month span. Luckily, as part of their hype building, they also distribute DVD's to critics all over the country so I usually find a way not to have to wait two months to see them.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/movies/article967444.ece

The list strikes me as an Academy Best Picture list that will enhance its reputation as being uppity and out-of-touch with American movie-goers.

I guess I just don't get the notion that awards ought to reflect popular taste. If you want a list that's in touch with American filmgoers, read the box-office report (and give the Oscar to Paul Blart: Mall Cop). In my view, the most worthwhile thing an awards show can do is introduce intriguing movies to people who otherwise wouldn't have thought twice about them, since they are too busy being bombarded with commercials for Marley & Me.

Besides, this list seems like yet another year where Hollywood rewarded its own relatively mainstream product rather than the really adventurous and interesting art of the year. Who could think this list is uppity? Fans of Larry the Cable Guy?

As for the list... no major surprises. I was happy to see Jenkins make the cut, and also In Bruges for writing. Of the Best Picture nominees, the only one I would have nominated is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The others are fine pictures, but not among my favorites of the year.