The song panthers on Ghost is a great song but I can't find any live versions on the Wilco Archive. Does anybody know why they don't play it? Or why the two dates on wilcobase.com aren't on the Wilco Archive?

Just wondering

Thanks

As far as I know the full band has never played it live. I thought there were more solo examples of it being played at private shows by Jeff, but of the 2 listed on Wilcobase, 1/29/05 was not taped. 5/16/03 was taped, and I know various people have copies. Analogman would know if that's in the queue for the Wilco Archive.

Never have been able to get into this song. It's been a couple of years since I even listened to it, so maybe another go is in order.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm still not into the studio version all that much, but I absolutely love the Martyr's version; it's much more melodic, and it just strikes me as one of those songs that means more when just one person performs it.

The song panthers on Ghost is a great song but I can't find any live versions on the Wilco Archive. Does anybody know why they don't play it? Or why the two dates on wilcobase.com aren't on the Wilco Archive?

Just wondering

Thanks

You were half way there - when you look up a show at Wilcobase - scroll down to the bottom and you will find a etree link and/or a Wilco live show archive link - if there is one. Look for the heading Audio Sources.

Wilcobase listing for the 2003 show.

Never have been able to get into this song. It's been a couple of years since I even listened to it, so maybe another go is in order.

It's funny. That recording seems to split people. I love it. That and High Heat (which is in a similar vein) are probably my favorite B-Sides. Its got such a cool tension and atmosphere. Oh well, one man's trash....

I dig Panthers except the ending piano lick makes me think of the original Planet of The Apes when the bad apes are about to comb the corn field for the humans.

Now most importantly what is this "HIGH HEAT" you speak of?

I dig Panthers except the ending piano lick makes me think of the original Planet of The Apes when the bad apes are about to comb the corn field for the humans.

Now most importantly what is this "HIGH HEAT" you speak of?

It's a track on the cd that comes with:

The Wilco Book

1. "Pure Bug Beauty" - 7:31

2. "This is New" - 4:26

3. "Diamond Claw" - 3:12

4. "This is New (The Explanation)" - 1:53

5. "What Good Am I" - 1:23

6. "Here Comes Everybody" - 2:56

7. "Hummingbird" - 3:57

8. "The High Heat" - 2:55

9. "Doubt" - 1:27

10. "Barnyard Pimp" - 5:13

11. "Rottnest" - 1:24

12. "Hamami" - 2:54

Of all the tracks on the disc with the exception of the alternate "Hummingbird" it is more of a regular song. Most of the other material is jams and improvisations. That "Diamond Claw" is pretty slick though. Someone ought to use that song for an eccentric HBO series.

I have that, and ya know (not being a good Wilco fan) played it once and never again. Am i missing out or is it as I remember just a bunch of noodling and "experimenting"?

I don't think I have ever played the cd - except for the day I got the book. I had a 103 temperature that day, as I recall.