Is it wrong

I was sitting in a cafe last Friday (Offbeat Originals, Left Bank, Cuba mall, Wellington, NZ) waiting for my Fish Burger when I over-heard the guy at the neighbouring table talking to his friend about Wilco. He was obviously quite passionate about the band, but his friend was completely non-plussed. She had no idea who the band was, or what the big deal was. He told her how he requested a song (Reservations) for the Wellington show via the website, and they played it. It was particularly special because he requested it for him and his girlfriend/fiance/wife whose anniversary it was on the night of the gig.

At that point I just leapt in - no introduction, no "excuse me", I just said, "I requested Jesus, etc for that show". That was it. We were off, talking about how cool the show was, how great the band is, did I see Neil Young at the Big Day Out recently, no, but I did see the 7 Worlds gig with Finn and Wilco, etc....

And then it was over.

I apologised for butting in, he said that was cool. We said our goodbyes.

I have had other Wilco conversations with strangers - but only when I've been wearing a Wilco shirt which has acted as a natural ice-breaker - but this was the first time that I've started one up cold.

It felt good.

Is that healthy?

Am I turning into a weird Wilco fanboy obsessive, like the rest of you?

This is an awesome story. No worries, friend - I've made lifelong friendships from coast-to-coast here in the U.S., traded tons of tape with people, etc....all because I had a Grateful Dead shirt on when we met. This is especially cool when Wilco is involved. Best American band of our times. Right?

i stopped someone in the street who had the same wilco t-shirt as me and we had a chat for a few minutes

Some guy heard me cranking Sky Blue Sky when it first came out and ran up and gave me a burned copy of the National album (Boxer). Said if I liked Wilco I would like that one. I thought that was pretty damn cool of him. I did like it.

I was on a plane from Minneapolis to Los Angeles and the guy a cross the aisle was watching ITTBYH on his laptop. Total stranger I ended up talking to for almost the whole flight.

Whenever I find a person in this small MO town that loves Wilco as much as me & Pedro do, they act as if they have found the cure for everything. As if we are a miracle. I tend to assume random Wilco fans have an interesting mind or something magical swirling in their brain the masses lack.

Average people like average music. Those with Wilco in their soul crave something you can't find in a prepackaged box. We just seem to be way cooler. I've just learned to live with my special coolness gift & share it with as many people as possible.

2ag5ehe.jpg

XM does play Wilco (not enough) but they play Wilco

Outta curiosity -- on which channel(s) did you hear Wilco? (on XM)

The Spectrum plays an occasional Wilco tune. I think it's XM ch. 45 (or something near there).

There is also a Chicago radio station (which plays Wilco) that has an internet feed:

http://www.93xrt.com/

Well, I'm not alone then.

My best Wilco T-shirt story is when I walked into a cafe wearing said shirt, and the woman who served me (who also happened to be the proprietor of the establishment) commented on it and started talking about Wilco. We then got onto music in general and I asked about the bands that play at her cafe, mentioned that I was in a band, and before you know it we've exchanged e-mail addresses. A few weeks later we were booked to play there. It was a totally sweet gig. We played on the roof.

A few years ago, a was sitting at a bar having a few drinks. I had just found out there was a Melvins show down the street, and though I wanted to go, I couldn't go on such short notice. A couple of guys came in who were obviously going to the Melvins show. These guys were real hardcore, almost skinhead looking guys. I was talking to them about the Melvins and they didn't seem to like the fact that I had gotten into the Melvins years before them but wasn't that into them anymore. I guess they thought I was acting too cool, or something. One of them was pretty psycho and we exchanged some words. To get cool off before something happened, I got up to go have a cigarette. When I stood up, they saw my Wilco shirt and they instantly changed their attitudes. They were all like "oh my god, we love Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Do you know what their next album will be like?" It was kind of weird.

Some guy heard me cranking Sky Blue Sky when it first came out and ran up and gave me a burned copy of the National album (Boxer). Said if I liked Wilco I would like that one. I thought that was pretty damn cool of him. I did like it.

thats an awesome story. when sky blue sky came out i bought it at starbucks because thats the only place i could get it that day. then i went to specs the next week and found the one with the shake it off dvd. i was pissed, but at the time i had a good bit of money so i decided that i'd buy the cd/dvd anyway. i walked up to the cashier and told him to take my sky blue sky dvd because wilco was fantastic and i didnt want the cd to just sit around at my house. i share wilco with whoever i can... theyre just the best of our time, man.

I'd love to bump into anohter fan someday. I wear my Wilco basball hat to the gym all the time, often accompanied by a Wilco t-shirt, Mminly cos they'e on the top of my clean clothes pile. Never a nibble.

Are there no Wilco fans in Northern NJ? Hello??? I'm all alone pout here!

thats an awesome story. when sky blue sky came out i bought it at starbucks because thats the only place i could get it that day. then i went to specs the next week and found the one with the shake it off dvd. i was pissed, but at the time i had a good bit of money so i decided that i'd buy the cd/dvd anyway. i walked up to the cashier and told him to take my sky blue sky dvd because wilco was fantastic and i didnt want the cd to just sit around at my house. i share wilco with whoever i can... theyre just the best of our time, man.

I hate when that happens. Kind of like buying "Murmer" right before they come out with the deluxe re-mastered addition! Good for you sharing the love.

I'd love to bump into anohter fan someday. I wear my Wilco basball hat to the gym all the time, often accompanied by a Wilco t-shirt, Mminly cos they'e on the top of my clean clothes pile. Never a nibble.

Are there no Wilco fans in Northern NJ? Hello??? I'm all alone pout here!

You should move to Ulster County. Plenty of Wilco fans up here.

Whenever I find a person in this small MO town that loves Wilco as much as me & Pedro do, they act as if they have found the cure for everything. As if we are a miracle. I tend to assume random Wilco fans have an interesting mind or something magical swirling in their brain the masses lack.

Average people like average music. Those with Wilco in their soul crave something you can't find in a prepackaged box. We just seem to be way cooler. I've just learned to live with my special coolness gift & share it with as many people as possible.

2ag5ehe.jpg

I can