farrar vs. tweedy, yet again

Some erudite semi-Welsh person reviews the Son Volt album and takes some shots at Wilco.

http://www.motxo.co.uk/story.php?id=4

Excerpt

"The seminal band had cleaved in twain, and you had to choose a camp: Jeff Tweedy and his Wilco, or Jay Farrar and Son Volt. Wry detachment or earnest if misplaced activism? Slide guitar used ironically or without a trace of irony? The differences of opinion were endless, but you had to decide. The future of alt-country, if indeed one existed, hung in the balance."

Excerpt

"The seminal band had cleaved in twain, and you had to choose a camp: Jeff Tweedy and his Wilco, or Jay Farrar and Son Volt. Wry detachment or earnest if misplaced activism? Slide guitar used ironically or without a trace of irony? The differences of opinion were endless, but you had to decide. The future of alt-country, if indeed one existed, hung in the balance."

That

Some erudite semi-Welsh person reviews the Son Volt album and takes some shots at Wilco.

http://www.motxo.co.uk/story.php?id=4

Excerpt

Um, after reading the full linked piece, I'm pretty sure that's a joke. The author's bio is a tip-off, as is the review of Wilco's German tour by David Hasselhoff.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

Except that it's not particularly funny. They're trying awfully hard and just not hitting the mark.

Even if it is a joke, how do you use a slide guitar ironically?

Let me listen to Alanis Morrisette real quick and I'll get back to you.

Maybe wear an "I hate slide guitar" shirt while playing?