Band Of Horses

Merle Haggard

MGMT

moe.

The Decemberists

Girl Talk

Bon Iver

B

This might be enough to convince me to not be dumb and do Coachella the weekend before finals.

Still say Coachella is better, but man. Springsteen. Fuck.

I went to Merlefest, an Americana festival in North Carolina, with my dad the weekend before my finals junior year, and even wrote a paper that was due that Monday on the ride back. Twenty years from now I'll remember seeing Elvis Costello, I don't think I'll remember what I got on the finals.

--Mike

I feel like you have to throw out the headliners in events like this unless you want to spend all day in a good spot at the main stage. I usually skip the headliners at the ACL Fest for example and bounce between smaller stages to catch undercard acts I enjoy. So that said, I wouldn't bother with Phish, Beastie Boys, David Byrne, Wilco, Al Green. All who I would normally like to see.

That said, the undercard still looks pretty good!

I think I'd enjoy all of these:

TV on the Radio

Andrew Bird

Merle Haggard

MGMT

The Decemberists

Bon Iver

B

I feel like you have to throw out the headliners in events like this unless you want to spend all day in a good spot at the main stage. I usually skip the headliners at the ACL Fest for example and bounce between smaller stages to catch undercard acts I enjoy. So that said, I wouldn't bother with Phish, Beastie Boys, David Byrne, Wilco, Al Green. All who I would normally like to see.

While I agree with the throw out the headliners thing, in my experience it is still easy to see earlier bands on the main stage. So I would throw out Bruce (who i'll still see, but from far back), Phish and Beasties, assuming those are the bands that get the headliner spots. Beside that Byrne, Wilco, & Al Green won't be too difficult to get a little closer for. I had no problem being close for Beck or Elvis in '06 or Wilco in '04

if it IS true... Bonnaroo has made it's full conversion from jam band fest to indie rock centric festival complete

I wouldn't necessarily say this.

It looks very well rounded to me.

I'd agree, wilceaux. Seems like there's a little something for everyone on that lineup, but it's still plenty jammy, IMO - TWO nights of Phish, Grisman, Gov't Mule, moe.? And let's not forget there are still nearly 50 more acts to be announced.

While I agree with the throw out the headliners thing, in my experience it is still easy to see earlier bands on the main stage. So I would throw out Bruce (who i'll still see, but from far back), Phish and Beasties, assuming those are the bands that get the headliner spots. Beside that Byrne, Wilco, & Al Green won't be too difficult to get a little closer for. I had no problem being close for Beck or Elvis in '06 or Wilco in '04

I've heard the same thing, greg. My ACL/Lolla/Roo vet friends have all said the feel of Roo is a lot different from those other fests - less crowded, easier to move through the crowds, less "camping" at one stage for the headliner.

I'd agree, wilceaux. Seems like there's a little something for everyone on that lineup, but it's still plenty jammy, IMO - TWO nights of Phish, Grisman, Gov't Mule, moe.? And let's not forget there are still nearly 50 more acts to be announced.

I've heard the same thing, greg. My ACL/Lolla/Roo vet friends have all said the feel of Roo is a lot different from those other fests - less crowded, easier to move through the crowds, less "camping" at one stage for the headliner.

It's definitely easy to move around. After the initial rush to Tom Petty, which we just hung out ate dinner and had a couple drinks during, we were able to get close enough for everyone to be happy. Granted we weren't extremely close, but we didn't want to be. During Radiohead 2 of my friends made it to the bathroom and back to where we were around 12 "rows" deep into the crowd.

yeah, the more i look there's a handful of jam/rootsier acts, but it's certainly much MUCH more indie-centric than it's been

Well indie music has been popular with a lot of the jam band crowd for a long time. That's one thing I don't think that crowd gets enough credit for. I have been turned on to far more diverse music from Deadhead and Phishhead friends and media than of all other music combined. Sure there are certainly some myopic fans out there, but by and large, they are very open-minded music fans. I would argue the same can not be said for, say, Pitchfork, for example. I guess what I am trying to say is that lineup would hold a lot more appeal for jam fans than it would for indie fans because the indie fans aren't as likely to be open to variety, so I still see it as being true to its roots. /huge generalizations :lol