• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meg, Meg, Meg. Stick quietly to the drums sweetheart. I'm all for artists branching out, but singing is not your thing.

Well, considering Conan picked a song that doesn't really feature drums, Jack had to find something for her to do.

Edit: I was thinking more about her guitar part. She sings along pretty regularly when they play live.

but icky thump not only had appallingly bad songs, it also had probably the worst production i've ever heard on something this side of u2. the raconteurs album was no better. do you really think they sound/write songs/arrange like they used to do?

I totally dig the way you state your opinions as facts.

I'm a really big Stripes fan and I was just horribly disappointed in this performance.

It just sounded like garbage. I thought Jack's usually unique and awesome voice sounded bored and horribly out of tune.

And meg...I'm a meg fan, but just....probably better if that didn't happen.

Just all around disappointing. It felt phoned in.

Yeah, that was painful.

Meg didn't sound great, but neither did Jack. Yipes. My Guitar 1 class performed that song better than they did.

I get that Jack was trying some different things with the melody, but it still felt really awkward, like he was improvising and it wasn't going well.

I really was hoping for a loud, rockin', typical Stripes performance.

While not a performance to make me scream, "hoy crap that was awesome", something about it I really liked.

Knowing the recent history, and listening to the lyrics....I don't know...it just had something special about it. I've watched it a few times and like it each time more.

As for White not being relevant, that's silly.

The Rolling Stones didn't think so when White was asked to sing "Loving Cup" on Scorses's concert film last year.

Nor did director Davis Guggenheim, when he made a documentary movie about 3 great guitarists....The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White (out this year).

Go see the Raconteurs live, and tell me how irrelevant White is.

I was searching the nets, and came across this review of the White Stripes performance. Some website called americansongwriter.com had a blurb on the White Stripes performance, and someone named Dee thoughtfully responded to it. It's definitely from an obsessed White Stripes fan, but I think it's pretty dead on:

The White Stripes have always stood for emotional authenticity and spontaneity, and the beauty of simplicity. That