Music's top money makers in 2009

I wasn't sure if this would turn into a "recession/what sort of values do we have?" discussion or an "I can't believe that JOURNEY is on this list" discussion. In other words, whether it was appropriate for TTL or SES. Alas:

1. Madonna: $242,176,466

2. Bon Jovi: $157,177,766

3. Bruce Springsteen: $156,327,964

4. The Police: $109,976,894

5. Celine Dion: $99,171,237

6. Kenny Chesney: $90,823,990

7. Neil Diamond: $82,174,000

8. Rascall Flatts: $63,522,160

9. Jonas Brothers: $62,638,814

10. Coldplay: $62,175,555

11. The Eagles: $61,132,213

12. Lil Wayne: $57,441,334

13. AC/DC: $56,505,296

14. Michael Buble: $50,257,364

15. Miley Cyrus: $48,920,806

16. Taylor Swift: $45,588,730

17. Journey: $44,787,328

18. Billy Joel: $44,581,010

19. Mary J. Blige: $43,472,850

20. Kanye West: $42,552,402

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/madonn...003940730.story

Madonna does it on a level playing field, though.

Yankee Stadium?

In the latest Spin magazine (It just started showing up in the mail recently, neither I or my wife subscribed to it, mainly because it sucks.) Lionel Ritchie was asked about the song Brick House. Lionel said it still earns him between $200 and $400K annually. Holy shite I thought if he is correct I can only imagine what some of these other guys are earning in royalties on the fairly popular standards that get played fairly frequently and get licensed out. Multiply that by ten songs or 100 songs add it to concert and merchandising revenues and it is so easy to see how the figures on this list build up pretty quickly.

call me dumb, but is this their earned income or are these numbers how much money each musician generated all in all in total and is before everyone gets a slice? from the way the 2nd page in the article reads, it is how much each artist grossed not how much they are paid.

and yeah, i thought everyone knew musicians make their money from tours not from album sales which is why radiohead put in rainbows out for hock instead of using the traditional route, they were able to make more money from the actual album by asking people to pay what they want.

I work at a arena here in Richmond and there is major long-term worry that as big-time artists like the Stones, Springsteen, U2, etc die off there will be no viable artists of comparable success from say the mid-80's on to fill the gaps that these major draws bring in. Hip Hop and youth pop artists have very little staying power, and many would be major rock bands of the past 25 years have disintegrated. It could jump start a country-wide shift to have more of a focus on Wilco-sized venues (2-4,000), and probably even more one-stop Bonnaroo-esque festivals.

Wow, Journey made 44 million with a lead singer they picked up off youtube. I always wonder at what point people give up on a band. There are bands that make good money touring without a single original member.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Can someone please punch Michael Buble in the face for me? Thanks.

I'm on it.

If you happen to see Richard Gere, please beat the living shit out of him in return.

Can someone please punch Michael Buble in the face for me? Thanks.

I just liking saying Micheal Buble.

I had no idea who he was when I saw this thread/list. Had to google the dude.
I still have no idea and not sure i want to risk the Google time....okay I did....still haven't heard him before....luckily...

LouieB

In the latest Spin magazine (It just started showing up in the mail recently, neither I or my wife subscribed to it, mainly because it sucks.) Lionel Ritchie was asked about the song Brick House. Lionel said it still earns him between $200 and $400K annually. Holy shite I thought if he is correct I can only imagine what some of these other guys are earning in royalties on the fairly popular standards that get played fairly frequently and get licensed out. Multiply that by ten songs or 100 songs add it to concert and merchandising revenues and it is so easy to see how the figures on this list build up pretty quickly.

There's one station here in Detroit that plays "Brick House" every other hour it seems. I can see how he gets that kind of dough.