Bob Dylan Bio's/Books

Well I'm going to dive in a little deeper with mr. Dylan. I have never read a full bio due to there being about 500 books on Dylan. What are the two or three top bio's to check out? Is there anything similar to Neil Young's Shakey in terms of walking through the career album by album with info one wouldn't generally know. (side note: Neil is quite upsetting these days) Any help would be appreciated.

shelton is considered THE dylan biographer. wasn't he the first person to write about him in an NYC newspaper? in like '61? Heylin has a good book or two. though i think those are more focused on the basement tapes/band stuff?

I think the only Dylan bio I have read is the Anthony Scaduto one. But then it was the first and read it when it came out.

I would read No Direction Home however. He is the best informed author I would think.

LouieB

I think the only Dylan bio I have read is the Anthony Scaduto one. But then it was the first and read it when it came out.

I recommend this. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's certainly fascinating.

I recommend this. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's certainly fascinating.

Glad to know people are still reading this. I enjoyed alot (I have two copies) and I think it is reasonably accurate, but alot of time has passed since it was written.

LouieB

No Direction Home - Robert Shelton

Down the Highway - author escapes me

Dylan's Chronicle's is amazing too. i need to re-read that.

Personally, i would start with those three. Maybe no direction home first?

These are the ones I would recommend too.

You can't go wrong with Chronicles. Dylan's prose is absorbing in a lot of the same ways as his poetry, and although it's far from comprehensive, it still offers a lot of insight.

And I'm surprised there isn't a thread about his new album here yet. Just announced yesterday via RS!

And I'm surprised there isn't a thread about his new album here yet. Just announced yesterday via RS!

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38779

;)

Glad to know people are still reading this. I enjoyed alot (I have two copies) and I think it is reasonably accurate, but alot of time has passed since it was written.

LouieB

I think it (Scaduto's) is out of print. I have a copy. My favorite tidbit is Dylan signing someone's birthday card with "Take it easy - but take it."

I'd say go with "Down The Highway" by Howard Sounes if you want an overview of his whole career.

Get "Chronicles" its an easy read and gives some interesting insights, allow as others have said I don't how factual it is.

Lastly I'd say pick up "On the Road with Bob Dylan: Rolling with the Thunder " By Larry Solomon, the book follows Ratso Rizzo on the rolling thunder review tour. Some very interesting stories and observations (including a meeting between Tom Waits and Bob, very funny).

Bob Spitz's biography is a pretty darn good one as well. It goes up to about '87/'88 or so.

Bob Spitz's biography is a pretty darn good one as well. It goes up to about '87/'88 or so.

I usually tell people to not bother with that one. He also wrote (or rather copied Goldman's unpublished work) that giant Beatles book a few years ago.

Lastly I'd say pick up "On the Road with Bob Dylan: Rolling with the Thunder " By Larry Solomon, the book follows Ratso Rizzo on the rolling thunder review tour. Some very interesting stories and observations (including a meeting between Tom Waits and Bob, very funny).

funny story there...Tom Waits referred to it as the Rolling Blunder Review. Love that guy.

it depends what you want to know about Dylan. Shelton and Scaduto concentrate more on his music and professional career. Heylin (Behind the shades) concentrates more on his personal life and gossip (like which girls he's been banging!)

it depends what you want to know about Dylan. Shelton and Scaduto concentrate more on his music and professional career. Heylin (Behind the shades) concentrates more on his personal life and gossip (like which girls he's been banging!)

I forgot about that one. That's the book that revealed the secret.

ok, that's what i thought (about shelton's book).

secret? about cynthia or whatever her name is? gooding?

Well, I was wrong about which book the story first appeared:

In June 1986, Dylan married his longtime backup singer Carolyn Dennis (often professionally known as Carol Dennis). Their daughter, Desiree Gabrielle Dennis-Dylan, was born on January 31, 1986. The couple divorced in October 1992. Their marriage and child remained a closely guarded secret until the publication of Howard Sounes' Dylan biography, Down the Highway: The Life Of Bob Dylan in 2001.