How about concerts you had tickets for but never saw?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had tickets to a couple of WXRT free summer concerts down at the World Music Theatre in Tinley Park (what do they call that thing now ... the Tweeter Center?). One was Santana, I think (meh), but the other was Richard Thompson / Crowded House / The Smithereens, and I'm really pissed that I missed that show.

I didn't have a car and none of my friends could go (I was offering a free ticket for anyone who could give me a ride).

A couple Phish shows and a Bob Dylan show. Illness for one of the Phish shows. One of the Phish and the Dylan were when I was really young like 14. I would get tickets with friends and do some dumb ass shit and not be allowed to go.

I'm ashamed to say I've skipped concerts more times than I'd like to admit. Since most bands don't come to CT, we usually either go to NYC or MA, and either way it's a substantial drive. Sometimes when the time comes we just don't want to go.

2nd row for a Tweedy show in NYC due to illness

Death Cab For Cutie in Providence...buying tickets seemed like a good idea at the time until the day of the show when we realized we would have to drive to RI and work in the morning

Badly Drawn Boy in Brooklyn....I'm pissed I missed this one. I can't remember what happened, I think someone we were supposed to stay with was sick.

In the middle of a huge snowstorm in 1994, my friend called and said he had an extra ticket for me to see Johnny Cash that night. I was in. I grabbed my coat and asked my dad for the car keys. When he said hell no, I pleaded for him to at least take me to the subway...hell no. I was stuck inside of Weymouth with the Man In Black blues again.

You know, I've been thinking hard.. I have been to probably close to 100 concerts, and there hasn't been a single concert that I have bought tickets for and had to miss...

I know I don't belong in this thread but I just thought this was pretty remarkable.

I don't know if this counts, but I went to the Tibetan Freedom Concert in DC in 1997 (?) to see R.E.M., Radiohead, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who were supposed to play the first day of a 2-day event. Lightning struck RFK stadium during Herbie Hancock's set, and they sent everybody home. I didn't have tickets for the 2nd day, so I missed the bands I wanted to see.

I missed an Olivia Tremor Control show the last time they toured (outside of the recent Holiday Surprise thing where they played a few songs each night) in 2004 or whatever year that was. It still bothers me. I know I've missed many more, but I can't remember any outside of that one.

I had free backstage pass/tickets to Lollopalooza in 1996 in Syracuse NY....my parents wouldn't let me go.

I missed the Ramones, Ben Folds Five, Soundgarden and Metallica...

Only one of those bands still exist and it is the one I don't care about!

I had tickets to see Bo Diddley in some shitty club in College Station in 1983...but I got the flu and didn't make it.

You know, I've been thinking hard.. I have been to probably close to 100 concerts, and there hasn't been a single concert that I have bought tickets for and had to miss...

I know I don't belong in this thread but I just thought this was pretty remarkable.

Braggart

I think the only time this happened to me was a couple years ago. I had tickets to see Joanna Newsom in Milwaukee, I had planned it all out because I was out of town right before the show and was going to be able to fly in and go right to the show, but of course my flight got delayed and I think I landed in Milwaukee right as she was doing her encore.

I had a ticket for the final show of U2's last tour, in Hawaii, but couldn't afford the trip. I missed seeing Bruce Springsteen last year because I had a mono relapse. In December I missed Neil Young and Wilco because of a snowstorm. I had to skip Glenn's show with Bang On A Can All-Stars a few weeks ago because I was swamped at work.

Like Mrs. Peel, I don't get a lot of shows in my area, so I usually have to drive 4+ hours. That makes me not even consider some shows I know I'd check out if I lived closer to Northampton or Philadelphia.

Most memorable was Jeff Tweedy at the Commodore in Vancouver in January 2007. Living on Vancouver Island, my girlfriend and I waited at the ferry terminal for about eight hours before finally being told the boats wouldn't be sailing due to wind. We were devastated.

Then I posted about it on here and Dreamin' offered us her extra tickets for Tweedy's Seattle show a couple days later. We still consider that one of the most amazing things anyone's ever done for us.

man

these all killed me

lindsey buckingham a few months ago but had an unavoidable work conflict

tobin sprout years ago -- and he NEVER tours - and couldn't get out of something long scheduled

smithereens ... dropped my daughter off at her grandmother's, she wasn't feeling well. she told me, "I want to go home, daddy, but I know how much you want to see that concert, so I'll be fine." come on ... how could I leave her there!

Most memorable was Jeff Tweedy at the Commodore in Vancouver in January 2007. Living on Vancouver Island, my girlfriend and I waited at the ferry terminal for about eight hours before finally being told the boats wouldn't be sailing due to wind. We were devastated.

Then I posted about it on here and Dreamin' offered us her extra tickets for Tweedy's Seattle show a couple days later. We still consider that one of the most amazing things anyone's ever done for us.

She's something else, isn't she? :wub