I beg to differ. To me it is formula driven crap. I was not entertained. By the end of the movie I had no interest in any of the characters, well maybe a little bit of feelings for Butkus. Point being is that I didn't get all warm and tingly when Rocky finished the fight, it was a non-event for me. But that's the great thing about movies, books, art, music etc
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ. To me it is formula driven crap. I was not entertained. By the end of the movie I had no interest in any of the characters, well maybe a little bit of feelings for Butkus. Point being is that I didn’t get all warm and tingly when Rocky finished the fight, it was a non-event for me.

I think Rocky was/is great for many reasons. I loved how it was filmed. I loved how Stallone played his character....very unassuming and low key....granted, that wasn't a stretch for Stallone, but it works. Talia Shire was perfectly cast....awkward and unsure, but beautiful. The fight was a little over-done, but actually quite realistic when compared to the ludicrous fights in the following Rocky's.

But the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the MUSIC. The music when they're ice-skating, the music when roaming the ring before the fight, the music during the fight when Rocky is motioning to Appollo to fight more.....incredibly moving stuff.

People can rip Rocky 2-6 'til the cows come home, but I'll always fiercely defend Rocky 1.

(Back to Rush.....what exactly was Obama thinking by invoking Rush's name? Pretty lame, don't ya think? I haven't listened to Rush for years, but I turned him on yesterday just to hear what his takes were. He played sound bites from Jack Welch, Jim Cramer and Warren Buffet.....ALL supporters and voters of Obama, and all very smart when it comes to money matters.....and all 3 said how much they love Obama, BUT, they are genuinely scared and fearful of the decisions and directions Obama is taking this country in regards to taxes and the economy. They don't think Obama knows what he's doing. Thanks to Obama, Rush is getting his biggest ratings and the new listeners are hearing stuff like that can only back-fire on Obama.)

I have always operated under the assumption that Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, etc are fully aware that they get more viewers, more attention, and more money every time they say controversial things that piss people off. The only time I hear about these people is when people complain about them...but that means whatever they are doing is working, since I hear about them all the time. I can't imagine getting pissed off at anything they say, since I know that part of their intended effect is to piss people off. Rush Limbaugh could say Obama was Satan reborn for all I care.

Just ignore them as best as you can. Anything else is exactly what they want.

People take him seriously though. That is the problem.

I listen to him for laughs sometimes, but I prefer Savage for just over the top absurdity.

Haha, the absurdity of Savage is what makes him great. I don't get to listen to Savage much anymore though, I remember a while back, he talked about gathering all of the illegal immigrants and paying (maybe forcing them :brow ) them to build a wall between us and Mexico (Not saying I agree with this, but in terms of ridiculousness its very funny).

Based on my slim talk radio listening, I think the biggest offenders of the right wing talk coalition are Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and (in the New England region anyway) Dennis Callahan. Most of the time when I hear them talk, it seems like pure hatred. I have to say this whole Rush business just isn't getting me worked up. I am disappointed in the way he feels, but to me it is no different than the way Keith Olbermann acts. I don't think it is fair to wish misfortune on Rush for giving his point of view, by doing so haven't you just become him?

And to throw it out there, Glenn Beck is just plan wacky, I honestly don't know how he got a TV job, but hey good luck to him, more hilarious Youtube clips

People take him seriously though. That is the problem.

Yep. Try having to deal with real people that listen to him. I wouldn't give a rat's ass what he says but it ends up affecting family.

So after 8 years of having to criticize Bush and Republicans, no one's ready to shift the attention to the Democrats. Rush Limbaugh is so 1995.

He's in his element with a Dem President. He has a golden baby seal of a scapegoat for his brand of hate - a fuggin uppity liberal muslim negro*

* That would be how he portrays him. And obviously, W/Cheney was a golden target for the Daily Show crowd.

Formulaic? He doesn't even win the big fight at the end.

He wins the girl and wins his personal battle with his inner self.

So after 8 years of having to criticize Bush and Republicans, no one's ready to shift the attention to the Democrats. Rush Limbaugh is so 1995.

You know this would be true if republicans did not parrot so much of what Rush says so soon after he say's it. He plays them like a cheap fiddle. I think he could really care less who is in power he will be wealthy and spreading the hate regardless. But for his ego, and he is ego driven, it has to be so satisfying to see how easily he can manipulate the republican party.

having been around here for awhile, I expected the hate for this guy, but what I'm interested in is how so many people have talked very specifically about the hate he spreads.

I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with his show because I'm almost never in my car when it's on, but the half dozen or so times I've flipped through the am dial and caught a segment of his show (once it hits commercials it's back to scan or cds) he seemed to be optimistic and positive to an almost silly extent. In fact I thought that it was part of his schtik.

Would anyone mind educating me a bit on some specifics of his hate proliferation (serious request, I'm not defending a show I don't even know)

I found the Newsweek article to be great. I like the whole debate within conservative party, between the intellectuals and the "other" conservatives.

Rush and I think FOX has definitely helped to bring the term "conservative" into the gutter. Of course Bush helped the most. I think the Frum and the rest of the intellectuals of the conservative party are thinking more about votes, rather than radio/TV ratings. They are looking toward the future elections. I think Frum is right when he implies that Rush is more concern provoking rather than coming up with any ideas and trying to persuade.

And one of my favorite couple of lines/scene in cinema is:

"Cut me Mick.."-Rocky

"You don't wanna do it kid!"-Mick

"Cut me."-Rocky

Would anyone mind educating me a bit on some specifics of his hate proliferation (serious request, I'm not defending a show I don't even know)

I don't know enough of the program to cite a specific example, but here is my take....

Rush, (I'm robbing this from something Chris Matthews said recently) is like a "self help group". The average listener is usually in their car and is generally of a conservative or moderate/conservative mindset. Considering his listeners are supporting an unpopular political ideology they find comfort in the radio show, the same way a Wilco fan can find comfort in a Wilco internet forum. They can at least relate to most of the talking points thrown around during his show. The problem is this....

....that is the type of person that scares me. Clearly this type of listener has been brainwashed.

Rush is a failed disc jockey who found his niche is talking libertarian politics.

If you can get past the bravado and the wacky politics you will find he is a wonderful broadcaster. As for politics...he's do well to realize that he is not talking in a vacuum.

Rush is a failed disc jockey who found his niche is talking libertarian politics.

If you can get past the bravado and the wacky politics you will find he is a wonderful broadcaster. As for politics...he's do well to realize that he is not talking in a vacuum.

I agree with the later.

But, Rush is not a failed disc jockey and I do not think the Libertarian Party would want Rush as their spokesperson.

I agree with the later.

But, Rush is not a failed disc jockey and I do not think the Libertarian Party would want Rush as their spokesperson.

Failed disc jockey, failed Baseball PR man...

Oh boy... here I am throwing myself in the fire...

I have listened to the show, and he is a bit of a blow hard for sure, but he is just a conservative, not a bona-fide hate proliferator. He does not care for the politics of the hard left (hate, maybe, or just "good" radio) and will spout off on the democrats and their liberal agenda until the cows come home. Being a conservative though, does not mean he is a hard right winger (I mean Nazi stuff, KKK kind of stuff) that is where a lot of the "hate" comes from.

Some of the issues of the social conservatives do come from the church, and Rush buys into some of those, like gay marriage. Just try to understand that his, and MOST social conservatives, the argument comes down the the use of the WORD marriage ONLY, and not the legal rights to file jointly on taxes, visitation rights in hospitals, life insurance beneficiaries, etc. He does not hate gay people. He believes in "civil unions", that are marriage without the WORD marriage. The church wants to keep that. If that is "hate" then he most definitely is that.

***DISCLAIMER*** These are not my views... the question was asked and I am trying to put an objective answer to the question.

He also believes in the "free market" philosophy of economics. And although I have not listened to him in a quite a while, I am sure he is spouting off about the spending that is going on the new stimulus package. I would guess he would want to let the market correct itself (not positive on that one, but I'd bet some serious coin on it).

In conclusion... although Rush Limbaugh may be a giant, deaf, pill-popping douche-bag, I don't think that he spreads "hate". He may not hold the same political stance as some of you, but that what makes and KEEPS this country great.

Don't kill me

Oh boy... here I am throwing myself in the fire...

I have listened to the show, and he is a bit of a blow hard for sure, but he is just a conservative, not a bona-fide hate proliferator. He does not care for the politics of the hard left (hate, maybe, or just "good" radio) and will spout off on the democrats and their liberal agenda until the cows come home. Being a conservative though, does not mean he is a hard right winger (I mean Nazi stuff, KKK kind of stuff) that is where a lot of the "hate" comes from.

Some of the issues of the social conservatives do come from the church, and Rush buys into some of those, like gay marriage. Just try to understand that his, and MOST social conservatives, the argument comes down the the use of the WORD marriage ONLY, and not the legal rights to file jointly on taxes, visitation rights in hospitals, life insurance beneficiaries, etc. He does not hate gay people. He believes in "civil unions", that are marriage without the WORD marriage. The church wants to keep that. If that is "hate" then he most definitely is that.

***DISCLAIMER*** These are not my views... the question was asked and I am trying to put an objective answer to the question.

He also believes in the "free market" philosophy of economics. And although I have not listened to him in a quite a while, I am sure he is spouting off about the spending that is going on the new stimulus package. I would guess he would want to let the market correct itself (not positive on that one, but I'd bet some serious coin on it).

In conclusion... although Rush Limbaugh may be a giant, deaf, pill-popping douche-bag, I don't think that he spreads "hate". He may not hold the same political stance as some of you, but that what makes and KEEPS this country great.

Don't kill me

Violation of Godwin's law

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

I think what bothers me about all the criticism of the current administration is not that the Republicans aren't entitled to do so, but the way in which they are doing it, and the SPEED with which they are doing so. They guy hasn't even been in office 2 months yet, and they are already calling Obama a failure.

Considering the mess he was left to clean up, I think that you have to give the guy a shot a doing his job and you can't throw up roadblocks just for your (or your party's) own political gain. That's what disgusts me. Give the guy a fighting shot, because if he does succeed, it will help everybody (unless you're a Republican talkshow host).

it's all entertainment business. nothing more. i think it's just a bonus that he's one of the many vehicles people used to stay willfully ignorant. ironically, it's the actually listeners (i'm thinking middle aged wage earners) who probably have a lot of good insight as to what's going on in society. does Rush or anyone listen to them? no. do they speak up? no. imagine of all the ditto heads turned off their radios, unionized, and boycotted work for one day. the nation would shut down and the PEOPLE would see that they have the power. the power to demand a living wage, total health insurance, a government that actually does serve the people(not special interests), etc.

just because A Lot of people 'believe' what some dude is saying, doesn't mean its true. in fact, i am coming to realize more and more that only a small, small minority see what's really going on in this world, understand what works, and have enough self awareness to take care of themselves and allow others to do the same.

oh, and those folks also like wilco too. go figure.