The Allman Brothers Band

They did play Hot 'Lanta last night:

Butch Trucks returned to the stage last night at the Beacon Theatre after sitting out the band’s previous show at the venue. The night featured appearances by the Juke Horns and Soulive/Lettuce guitarist Eric Krasno, as well as drummers Duane Trucks and Bobby Allende, who filled in for Butch Trucks at various points throughout the night.

The first set got going with a the classic “Midnight Rider” and a cover of Willie Cobbs’ “You Don’t Love Me.” The horns made their appearance after a few songs, taking the stage for “I Found a Love,” “Blind Willie McTell” and “Soulshine” before Krasno joined the fray for “Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody’s Home.” At one point during the set, Warren Haynes pointed out the Trucks was back after his first-ever missed show as the spotlight came down on the drummer, who stood up before an exuberant crowd.

The horns returned early in the second set for a take on Van Morrison’s “Into The Mystic,” as well as “Who To Believe” and “Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’.” The band then continued with a cover of the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s “1983… (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)”—a tune they debuted during last year’s Beacon run—that played into “Mountain Jam” before coming back in “1983” and then back into a set-closing “Mountain Jam.” Krasno and the Juke Horns then came back for a “Southbound” encore that closed the show.

The Allman Brothers Band will return to the Beacon Theatre tonight or another residency show. Krasno will also be taking the stage tonight at the Brooklyn Bowl for the first night of Soulive’s annual Bowlive run at that venue. We will be posting a featured interview the guitarist later today.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores page

*Allman Brothers Band*

Beacon Theatre New York, NY

Butch Trucks returned to the stage with the group last night after sitting out the Tuesday show

Set I: Midnight Rider, You Don’t Love Me, Leave My Blues at Home, Hot ‘lanta, Woman Across the River, Egypt, I Found a Love*, Blind Willie McTell*, Soulshine*, Breaking Up Somebody’s Home^

Set II: Statesboro Blues, Revival, Trouble No More, Into the Mystic*, Who to Believe*, Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’*, 1983… (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) > Mountain Jam > 1983… (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) > Mountain Jam

Enc: Southbound^

Notes:
(*) with Juke Horns
(^) with Juke Horns and Eric Krasno
Bobby Allende and Duane Trucks filled in for Butch Trucks at various points

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Don't know where home is for you, but Butch spoke of a fall tour in a recent interview.  Being that it's the final year, and I'm not making it to JazzFest this year, buddy and I decided to see as many Allmans shows as we can (live in Boston), so going to the Beacon for 1 show and made the plunge to go to Lockn Festival in VA September 4-7.  Allmans playing one night there, with 2 nights of Phil and Friends, 2 nights of Widespread (with Stevie Winwood) and 2 nights of Ratdog.  I'm figuring Warren/Mule and Derek/Susan likely to be added since the Allmans are already there.

Hey, I just bought my ticket for Lockn this year too. It's a little more jamband-oriented than I prefer, but I heard good things about it from last year even in spite of Neil Young's backing out. Plus I used to live in Charlottesville so I'll have a free place to stay. We'll have to meet up again.

Hey, I just bought my ticket for Lockn this year too. It's a little more jamband-oriented than I prefer, but I heard good things about it from last year even in spite of Neil Young's backing out. Plus I used to live in Charlottesville so I'll have a free place to stay. We'll have to meet up again.

Excellent!  Let's definitely meet up.  Given that we're "old" and that we're "saving money" by not going to JazzFest this year, we splurged and bought the VIP tickets, but if you didn't we'll find a way to connect.  For me the attraction is the Allmans and 2 nights of Phil.  Glad to see they added Gary Clarke Jr., and Stevie Winwood.  It's a Peter Shapiro production, so I'm sure the lineup will fill out nicely.

Caught two shows at the Beacon this past weekend, and can't recommend catching this band one last time strongly enough. I hadn't seen them in about 10 years, as I had burned out on them for all the various reasons people have mentioned - no Dickey, Derek is technically amazing but at the same time emotionally underwhelming, Greg is burnt, too many covers, they're cashing in, etc. Maybe all those things have been true at times over the past few years, but they are bringing it hard now. They played the shit out of every song, and I was actually glad that Dickey wasn't there to screw up Blue Sky. It was like the riff Olympics, just one classic guitar riff after another. Derek has definitely graduated from prodigy to master. They played every song on my wish list, even Why Does Love Got to Be So Bad, with the one exception being Mtn Jam, but they at least teased that during Jessica. Some nice surprises like Smokestack Lightning. Greg sounded excellent, he might have missed one cue all weekend. Was really glad there weren't any guests either, except for some drummers on a few tunes. Just straight up Allmans ferocity. The Other One jam during Black Hearted Woman will be echoing in my brain throughout eternity. Good grief.

Of course seeing them at the Beacon in NYC was the cherry on top, but seems like good things are in store for Allmans fans for the rest of the year.

I am getting toward the end of the One Way Out book. I still find it a bit thin and more about problems than the music. But - after reading hundreds of these type of books, I should not be surprised.

I forgot about the Jack Pearson/Jimmy Herring eras.  I believe I have read before that Greg was not too happy about "jamming". That is sort of what I like to hear the band do. I am big fan of the song Midnight Rider for example, but really it is all about the instrumental passages for me. I think that is what they do best.

I guess along with the other problems - Dickey was playing too loud. I don't recall ever hearing that before. I noticed they also talked a bit about playing the same set every night. I think Warren really saved the band.

The Les Paul talked about in one of those side articles is the one I touched at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame many years ago.

My neighbor loaned his Duane Allman box set this past weekend and I have been going through it this week  - very good stuff - I didn't get it, because I thought I had most of the stuff on various releases, but I was mistaken - I probably have about half of it in other releases.

Also, just watched the Muscle Shoals documentary last night - the Duane Allman set compliments the doc, nicely, and vice verse. Great documentary. It was nice to hear Rick Hall say that he blew it when he didn't sign ABB - or missed the boat...

I saw Muscle Shoals recently. Thought it was excellent. I've always known of the studio, but was unaware there was a house band, like the MG's in Memphis. Great movie. Skydog.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

That is who Ronnie is singing about in Sweet Home Alabama. (Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers/And they've been known to pick a song or two. . .) And of course David Hood is the father of Patterson Hood.

Hmm.  This complicates things.  I have a terrific ticket for the 29th that I was hoping to exchange for the 26th.  Now with the possibility of Gregg being out, I'm not sure I want to make the trip on the 26th.  Eck, whatever.  First world problems.  I hope he's feeling better soon.

if you ask me that sh*t is WEAK. How come "stars" are always coming down with "something" and my fat azz only gets sick once every 5 years tops??

I know I know ((((knock on wood))))

Gregg just seems like a azz to me anyway and now this?? Cmon dude at least play the keyboards WTF

I don't know about that DBoon. Bronchitis in a 70 year old with a liver transplant just might be something you don't screw around with.

I don't understand how they do not postpone a show when the "main guy" can't perform.   If Greg is too sick to perform....postpone for sure.  Guess it would cost them $$$ if they did that.   Like I said in previous posts, this band should be called "A Tribute to the Allman Brothers" anyway.

Well, at least the better musicians aren't sick.  If Gregg doesn't play the rest of the shows, I think they should offer refunds, but keep the shows.  People travel a long way and may not be able to easily reschedule; and the cost to reschedule for the band would be outrageous.  Not to mention, if Gregg is bad now, there's no guarantee that he'll be any better in the future.

I think I was able to arrange a trade, so I'm fairly certain I'm going on Wednesday.

It looks like they are hanging it up for now:

New York, NY (March 24, 2014) – The Allman Brothers Band announced the postponement of the remaining four Beacon Theatre performances on March 25, March 26, March 28 and March 29 as Gregg Allman recovers from bronchitis. As a result of Mr. Allman’s illness, the Allman Brothers Band is unable to perform at the level to which they aspire.