The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Plus, I remember seeing images of Garcia on the back drop screen during some tunes in the late 90's (at least I think I did). I think during No One Left to Run With.

I remember that too.  There was a montage of dead rockers if I remember.

Incidentally, I haven't seen the band since early 00s.  I'm really not a fan of Derek.  I mean, the guy demands respect, but he's almost too good.  Does that make any sense.   :uhoh  There's no build up with his solos either.  It's not intentional, it's just that every damn lick the guy plays is stunning.  It's like I get desensitized or something.

I really miss Dickey.  So melodic and as a fanboy of Garcia I love.  :wave

I remember that too.  There was a montage of dead rockers if I remember.

Incidentally, I haven't seen the band since early 00s.  I'm really not a fan of Derek.  I mean, the guy demands respect, but he's almost too good.  Does that make any sense.   :uhoh  There's no build up with his solos either.  It's not intentional, it's just that every damn lick the guy plays is stunning.  It's like I get desensitized or something.

I really miss Dickey.  So melodic and as a fanboy of Garcia I love.  :wave

This is so funny to me: every lick the guy plays is stunning, so I don't like listening to him play! Hilarious. I agree, everything he plays is stunning, which is why I can listen to him play all night. And to have the chance to see him play right next to Warren is a treat. I will take issue with there not being any buildup in his solos. His solos often start slow and quiet and build to a blazing crescendo. The thing about Derek that freaks me out is his right hand, playing with no pick and just 1 or 2 fingers.

I never know about Gregg's feelings on the Dead.  I remember them doing Franklin's in the 90s.  Also Saint Stephen, right?

Yes, but I attribute that to Warren. Just my sense of things.

Gregg wrote he had no use for the Dead, or their fans.  But what surprised me more was to read that Dickey (and Berry) were the big Deadheads in the band.

You know, I was just perusing my email, and I see Ruth Eckerd Hall has tickets on sale half-price for Gregg Allman's show next Tuesday night. Only $25. I never really cared for the guy, but I thought, "Well, hey, only $25 and I'll probably get to hear him sing Whipping Post and whatnot. Maybe I'll get one." Then I came on here and read this, and suddenly my decision is an easy one. Gregg Allman can kiss my ass. Thanks, mountain bed and worldrecordplayer! You guys just saved me some money.  :lol

I read an interview with Butch within the past 5 years or so. He talked about seeing a Dead show in Florida in 95, discussed how lethargic it was, and that he became irate when Mickey started up his 'stupid drum thing' (paraphrasing), so he grabbed his wife and left. Think it was also the same interview he mentioned the Allmans felt the only ones in the Dead with any talent were Jerry, Phil, and Bill (I suppose there are probably a few Deadheads that agree with that). I get the feeling he was ambivalent about the Dead, friendly with the guys and liked some music, combined with envy and jealousy, as well as being an ignorant redneck rockstar. Interesting that since that interview, both Bob and Phil have sat in with the Allmans a few times. Probably due more to their relationship with Warren, and the tendency of these superstars to not really interact with each other backstage.

Can't say if Duane liked the Dead, but know he loved Sugar Magnolia. There are some quotes of him praising that song (I think it appears on his new box set). I also have some radio show where he plays a few tunes with Bob and Jerry.

I think Dickey had a pretty good relationship with the Dead, and has continued to play with Phil over the years since his departure from the Allmans. Dickey was the one who started adding the Franklin's Tower tease to the Blue Sky intro.

As for Greg, the guy can sing, but other than that he's just a dumb hick.

I read an interview with Butch within the past 5 years or so. He talked about seeing a Dead show in Florida in 95, discussed how lethargic it was, and that he became irate when Mickey started up his 'stupid drum thing' (paraphrasing), so he grabbed his wife and left. Think it was also the same interview he mentioned the Allmans felt the only ones in the Dead with any talent were Jerry, Phil, and Bill (I suppose there are probably a few Deadheads that agree with that). I get the feeling he was ambivalent about the Dead, friendly with the guys and liked some music, combined with envy and jealousy, as well as being an ignorant redneck rockstar. Interesting that since that interview, both Bob and Phil have sat in with the Allmans a few times. Probably due more to their relationship with Warren, and the tendency of these superstars to not really interact with each other backstage.

Can't say if Duane liked the Dead, but know he loved Sugar Magnolia. There are some quotes of him praising that song (I think it appears on his new box set). I also have some radio show where he plays a few tunes with Bob and Jerry.

I think Dickey had a pretty good relationship with the Dead, and has continued to play with Phil over the years since his departure from the Allmans. Dickey was the one who started adding the Franklin's Tower tease to the Blue Sky intro.

As for Greg, the guy can sing, but other than that he's just a dumb hick.

First, Butch was most likely accurate with his comments about the Dead in '95. Can't fault him for that.

Second, I had no idea Dickey brought Franklin's into the Blue Sky jam. I always assumed Warren was responsible for that, thanks for that nugget.

Thanks for that. Here's Butch's quote about the Dead from the interview I mentioned above:  

"There were bands that jammed, like the Grateful Dead. Their jams were very country and bluegrass based. Once in a while they would really lock in and find a groove. It was very few and far between but they would do it. The later years of the band it almost never happened. It is my opinion that there were only three guys in the band who could really play and that was Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh and Bill Kreutzmann. The nights it was really good were when the three of them really clicked and the other guys just stayed out of the way. Toward the end, the other guys took on a stronger position as Jerry got further out of it. They would play for hours and they would just noodle and go nowhere.

I saw them in Tampa before Jerry died. They had sixty-thousand people in the stadium. Some of these kids came hundreds of miles and paid hundreds of dollars to listen to these guys. They were standing up there acting like they didn’t give two flying ****s about anything. They would start a song and it would fall apart and they would just quit. If I was a kid in the audience then I would have gotten pissed. When Mickey Hart started that drum thing that he does then that did it; I had to leave. He started pounding on all that crap and I grabbed my wife and said, "We’re leaving." I was getting really angry. If I had been one of those kids that spent my hard earned money and all of my time to come see these guys – they obviously were not putting any effort into what they were doing and they were just going through the motions – I would have jumped up on stage and kicked their butts. These guys are going to walk out that night with a couple of million dollars. They won’t even try to put some effort into it? It just pissed me off.

There are a lot of Dead followers and there are a lot of noodlers around that give the whole jam-band scene a bad name. I read an article recently where a guy said that we played "Blue Sky" for forty-five minutes. He said that it must have been a major bathroom break. I got to thinking if this guy measures the quality of music by how long it is then he must not know what is good. I can’t think of anything by Beethoven that would be under three minutes. It takes time to develop a song and go somewhere with it... 

We will do "Mountain Jam" and it will last for an hour but there are different movements and time changes throughout the song. We will actually stick a song in there sometimes. With this band, we never noodle; the song always goes somewhere. We will take a solo and start it out and build it and take it to a peak and get the hell out and go somewhere else. Even on our worst night it is interesting."

Butch comes off as more than a bit full of himself, and like so many other artists of the era envious of the Dead. Also Greg's take on the Dead from his book:

"By February 1970, we were back at the Fillmore East for three nights, playing with the Grateful Dead and Love, and we were the middle act. [bill Graham] had fallen in love with us after he'd heard us that very first time... I knew that Bill had something to do with the Grateful Dead, and I thought that if he was managing the Dead, then we could show him what a real band was like.

Before we played with the Grateful Dead for the first time, I had heard all the hype, but I didn't really have an opinion of them. If somebody had asked what I thought of them, I would have said, "I think that their music ain't got no groove to it at all," and it didn't. But they played the music that they played while the crowd did this thing that we eventually called "the Grateful Dead waltz," which consisted of dancing around, twirling, and jerking a whole lot. I didn't understand it at all, and I was the same age as them. I kept looking for something, but I just didn't get it.

"What do you think of these guys?" I asked my brother. He didn't hesitate.

"This is shit. You see them jugs that they're passing out?" he said, referring to the cases of Gatorade that they would electrify backstage and then pass out to the crowd. And then I knew what he was talking about. One tiny sip of that shit and it would be raining fire, man, so no wonder everybody was grooving on that music-anything would sound good like that.

Not that the Grateful Dead had a trick passing out a bunch of crazy pills so that people would like their music-that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that that was part of their whole culture, part of their whole deal. I don't know their story, and I don't know any one of them well enough to ask them, "What's the deal with this?" but I really don't give a fuck that much. I just know that there's the Grateful Dead, and they have their place. They're pretty good people, I liked them all right. Garcia called me a narc at one point, so I never really gave two shits for him, but him and my brother got along because they were guitar players. Mostly I just ignored them."

Like I said, Greg is just an ignorant hick. His supposed conversation with Duane about the Dead contradicts what Duane was quoted as saying about them: "I love the Dead. As far as Jerry Garcia, Jerry Garcia could walk on water. He could do anything any man could ever do. He's a prince."

Duane was right about Jerry. And Jerry was right about Greg - he's a fucking narc dirtbag. 

Lots of hating on Brother Gregg around here.  I can't pile on.  I was generally familiar with the drug bust story, but have forgotten most of it.  It was a long time ago.  Yea, he gave information that put his friends in jail and he saved himself.  Not the first person to do that.  It's easy to criticize, but the pressure must have been tremendous.  Thankfully I've never had to make such a choice.  Wonder how everyone who is quick to criticize would handle that.  Anyway, not defending him for it, I was also in the "he's a narc" camp at the time, but it was a long time ago and I don't hold it against him at this point.  And if you're into rock n roll, you can't seriously hold it against him that he had a substance addiction at one point.  We've all been ripped off by artists who gave less than what we wanted because of a drug/alcohol problem (Garcia on many nights, Clapton at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City in '74 or '75 couldn't stand up and left after 20 minutes or so, etc).  The man has provided me with countless hours of musical enjoyment with the Allmans.  I also suggest you check out his last solo release, Low Country Blues, produced by T Bone Burnett.  Age and health have gotten to him no doubt, but he's healthier now than he was a couple of years ago, and he still has a voice that was made for the blues.  I was at Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival at MSG in April, and this weekend I was at home watching the DVD.  When I got to the segment at the acoustic side stage with Gregg, Derek and Warren doing acoustic versions of Needle and the Damage Done and Midnight Rider, I was thankful Gregg is still around and healthy enough to be putting out the music.    

worldrecordplayer I had the same problem and I told the DA to get fukked and went to the penitentiary for 14 months so its just that easy.

Well then you have every right to criticize, in my view.  Without question.  Me, I don't know what I would do, so without having walked in those shoes I've mellowed a bit over the years on Gregg's choice. 

You can't judge someone unless you've been in the same situation? Not sure about that one.

But regardless of Greg being a narc, he's an ignorant hick with a great voice who has been propped up by a great band, musicians, and producers for a long time. Go see his solo band sometime. It's embarrassing.  

But regardless of Greg being a narc, he's an ignorant hick with a great voice who has been propped up by a great band, musicians, and producers for a long time. Go see his solo band sometime. It's embarrassing.  

But how do you ignore the fact that the band that was propping him up was doing so while playing many songs that he wrote?  Many of rock's classics?  Sheesh, give the man his due. 

And I always thought that Dickey was the ignorant hick in the band, especially after he ended up in jail for beating up his girlfriend/wife after a gig in Albany.

The band's low point as far as I'm concerned.  I was friggin pissed!  Not only at Dickey for being the white trash that he is and getting arrested, but at the entire organization for not cancelling the show.  To drag my ass down to Great Woods to all of a sudden be told that Zak Wylde and his bullseye guitar and heavy metal moves was playing in the *Allman Brothers Band."???  I stopped seeing them for a number of years after, I swore they weren't getting any of my money.  Of course I settled down and came back to the fold, but it took a long time.  

i saw Black Label Society as tour support for the last Judas Priest show and Zakk did a guitar solo for ~10 minutes that made me want to kill myself 90 seconds into it. completely awful torture.

i saw Black Label Society as tour support for the last Judas Priest show and Zakk did a guitar solo for ~10 minutes that made me want to kill myself 90 seconds into it. completely awful torture.

That's a riot, that's how I felt at Great Woods.  I would have thought that Zakk Wylde was within your orbit of musicians (shows how limited my knowledge of the metal scene is). 

But how do you ignore the fact that the band that was propping him up was doing so while playing many songs that he wrote?  Many of rock's classics?  Sheesh, give the man his due. 

And I always thought that Dickey was the ignorant hick in the band, especially after he ended up in jail for beating up his girlfriend/wife after a gig in Albany.

For sure Greg wrote some good songs in the beginning, but since they got rich it's been downhill. He really hasn't written much in the last 40 years. Even the best of the later era Allmans songs were Dickey's or Warren's.

And Dickey is definitely an ignorant hick too. I saw him play a solo show a few years ago, and he was completely wasted, made a fool of himself, yelling at his guitar tech the whole time until he finally just took his guitar off and let it fall to the stage and walked off while his band kept playing. They didn't seem to be too shocked, imagine they'd been through it before.

After Greg started the false rumor that Oteil was leaving the band, it has been confirmed that 2014 will be the last year for both Derek and Warren in the Allmans. Unless Butch can find Zakk Wylde's number, I guess this means the end of the Allmans:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/120405/Derek-Trucks-and-Warren-Haynes-To-Leave-Allman-Brothers-Band-After-2014

One of those headlines that doesn't surprise, but still hits me in the gut. I've always felt fortunate for all the nights I've spent getting to hear Warren and Derek on the same stage in front of that rhythm section. I'll be sure to catch at least one Beacon show this year after missing the last 2 years.

That whole thing with Oteil is now even weirder with this news. Zakk Wylde...heaven forbid