The Allman Brothers Band

After Jerry passed, in the fall of 95 through at least 96, they used to bust into St. Stephen's jams coming out of drums, with Woody leading the way on bass. Sometimes would be teases of Dark Star and Lovelight in there as well. Maybe other tunes as well. Really meaningful to all the deadheads at the shows, a nice tip of the cap. And they continue to cover Franklin's Tower and Shakedown Street in recent years, and have members of the Dead sit in with them. Probably the younger guys are the fans of the Dead. Greg sang I'm No Angel, among many other dubious choices over his years, so his opinion is not one I'm too concerned with.

Also, prefer Warren and Dickey to Derek and Warren/Dickey. 

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Warren probably had something to do with the Dead covers. I think I recall reading somewhere that he stated he wouldn't play with the band anymore unless they worked up some new tunes. This was about ten years ago.

I recall someone - Butch maybe - saying if you think about it: Daune played slide for about 3 years, Derek has been at it since he was a little kid. I use to compare them, but I don't any more. I think Duane had such a presence and/or distinctive sound that he stands out from the crowd.

Well, Gregg married Cher, so what does that tell you? :lol

I saw an article somewhere the other day that talked about his new wife - number 7. I think she is 24 years old. I think he has Steve Earle beat.

Trivia: One of his former wives is Ron Blair's sister (Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers bass player).

I saw an article somewhere the other day that talked about his new wife - number 7. I think she is 24 years old. I think he has Steve Earle beat.

Yeah, Earle's been married 7 times too, but twice to the same woman!

Makes sense that Dickey was the Dead fan, he was instrumentally quoting Franklin's Tower in their Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad jams towards the end of his time with the Allmans, if I recall correctly.

They've been doing The Other One jam out of Black Hearted Woman for years.  Don't know whether that's Dickey era or post.

They've been doing The Other One jam out of Black Hearted Woman for years.  Don't know whether that's Dickey era or post.

I was never sure if that was intentionally an Other One jam or just sounded similar. Saw Chris Robinson a few months back, and they had a jam very similar to Other One as well.

Makes sense that Dickey was the Dead fan, he was instrumentally quoting Franklin's Tower in their Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad jams towards the end of his time with the Allmans, if I recall correctly.

I know he was quoting Franklin's Tower during the intro to Blue Sky. Never heard Dickey do that during GDTRFB.

1983? I wonder what THAT sounded like. That's like the ultimate studio creation.

1983? I wonder what THAT sounded like. That's like the ultimate studio creation.

But the short eight note riff is fantastic and it'd be really easy for them to jam around it, just like they can turn Donovan's There Is A Mountain riff into a 30 minute jam!   I hope I get to hear 1983 next weekend.

I still think Dickey and Warren was an unbeatable combo, but we watched the live DVD from Beacon 2003 last night and it was damn impressive, particularly Derek Trucks.  He is smooth, smooth, smooth when he's blazing and he makes it look effortless.  I'd still like him to show some emotion in his face and move around a bit while he plays.  I know that probably sounds superficial and what really matters is what comes out of the guitar, but I still like rock musicians to rock out a bit.  But I totally get those who are blown away by Derek's playing.  He really is truly gifted, seems like a complete natural and I can understand why people think he's the greatest.  Its great in that DVD to see Warren and Gregg smiling away while Derek is soloing, you can tell they get blown away by him, too.  Some of the solos he took are indeed jaw-dropping.  And they still play for ever! That DVD has 22 songs and they are not short tunes!  Its well worth checking out.  No way I'd consider this a tribute band when you have guitarists the caliber of Derek and Warren adding to what Gregg, Butch and Jaimoe bring.  Props to Oteil, too, he was JAMMING all through these shows, wow!  Bass playing and drumming like that lays the foundation for the long sweet guitar solos which need that driving rhythm section to make the whole thing work.  Those dudes get locked in as Tom Dowd would say.  Its pretty amazing how good they still were in 2003.  Can't wait to hear 'em in person next weekend.

Last night's set list:

Tuesday, March 5, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

Set I: Hot ‘Lanta, I Walk on Gilded Splinters, One Way Out, Blue Sky, Desdemona, To Know You Is to Love You^, Tears of Rage^, Jessica

Set II: Spots of Time*, Statesboro Blues, Rockin’ Horse, Stormy Monday, Who to Believe^, Stand Back^, Into the Mystic^, Black Hearted Woman

E: Southbound^^

^with the Juke Horns *First time Played (Warren Haynes/Phil Lesh original)
^^with the Juke Horns and Eric Krasno

I wonder what Dickey thinks when they tell him that the Brothers are playing Blue Sky.  To me it is a slap in the face.  Next they will play Ramblin Man?

I don't know why its a slap in the face anymore so than the fact that they're still playing and playing without Dickey.  I don't think they've ever done Ramblin Man since Betts is out of the band, but Eat A Peach is a quintessential Allmans album and I'm happy to see a full blown Blue Sky in the setlist.  Elizabeth Reed is a Dicey song too.

A good review of last night's show over at Hidden Track.  http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/review-and-photos-the-allman-brothers-band-welcome-guests-offer-debuts-and-classics-beacon-theatre/