The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I'm surprised at the comments on Derek's playing. I've always thought of him as one of the most soulful guitar players alive.

Me too. He's definitely not just a run of the mill technique guy or shredder. He's incorporated so many different types of music from around the world into his playing. The dude is truly one of the greatest guitarists out there right now.

Me too. He's definitely not just a run of the mill technique guy or shredder. He's incorporated so many different types of music from around the world into his playing. The dude is truly one of the greatest guitarists out there right now.

Some pretty outstanding guitar playing right here if you ask me. I was happy to be in the house.

Ditto that. I'm astounded by those comments actually. But, everyone's got a different set of ears. Just look at the RS Top 100 Guitarists. No Warren, and no Trey.

trey plays great memorable melodies. derek just wanks....joking.

i see where you're coming from. however, all his albums are so damn boring to me...especially that soul revue stuff.

^ Comparing Trey and Derek is a joke. Trey couldn't come near Derek in terms of melody

I agree that comparing Trey and Derek is a joke, but mostly because they play such different styles of guitar, I don't see how they could be compared. I enjoy Trey's playing immensely. And Derek just blows me away, the kid's (I guess he's not a kid anymore) unreal. Especially his right hand. I could watch him for hours, and never figure out what he's doing with that right hand.

Thats fair. I can't stand Trey, so I probably shouldn't have said anything haha.

Apparently Derek doesn't even know what is happening with his right hand. I'll have to see if I can find the interview, but I remember him saying that once he tried to slow it down to show somebody and he couldn't

I enjoy Dereks bands more than Mule. Ive seen both and ABB a ton but DTB was good and Trucks Tedeschi is really good.

+ 1

Seen the T&T this past summer Lot of fun

Also I went 3 out of 4 Boston ABB Shows and 1st 2 Nights that was Heavily and accurately commented on AB fan website Gregs voice weak

some flubs However w/ a Night Off and No more album nights they Really Ripped it up the Last 2

The Last number Night 4 Whipping Post Was a Face Melting Burn and the Best 1 for me yet!

(been goin since Early 90's)

Hope they Come on BAck Next year

You have lost your John Brown mind! Whats not to stand?

I just don't like him or Phish. Trust me, I've tried, I just can't get into them at all. Probably has something to do with getting big into Umphrey's before ever listening to Phish. But enough Phish talk.

I need to see the ABB again soon before they finish up

I just don't like him or Phish. Trust me, I've tried, I just can't get into them at all. Probably has something to do with getting big into Umphrey's before ever listening to Phish. But enough Phish talk.

I need to see the ABB again soon before they finish up

OYOYOY :-) I cannot stand Umphreys so there you go. Either way

heres one that spans the thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpglVGT2ZB4&feature=related

• 1 month later...

Dickey Betts Will Tour in 2012, Accept Grammy with The Allman Brothers Band

Though he never actually retired from touring—as he claimed a few years ago—Dickey Betts has limited his nights on the road recently. But the guitarist will tour in 2012. Dickey Betts & Great Southern will pay select dates in March, April and June, with the possibility that additional shows will be added in the coming months. In the final few months of 2011, Betts performed with both onetime Great Southern/Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dan Toler and Gregg Allman’s son Devon.

In other news, Betts has confirmed that he will attend the 2012 Grammy Awards, where the Allman Brothers Band will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award. A note on the guitarist’s Facebook page says, “We are very proud and excited to announce that the Allman Brothers Band was been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be presented to the band at the 2012 Grammy Awards, taking place on Sunday, February 12. Dickey Betts will be on hand to accept the award along with the other members of the band. This will be an exciting and historic moment that you do not want to miss!”

There is no word yet as to whether Betts will perform with his former band.

That will be interesting to see.

• 1 month later...

Warren Haynes by way of Jambands.com:

In terms of an ABB rehearsal, I know that our readers would love some insight, a window into what it’s like. How regimented is it? Do you work through entire songs, do you focus on passages that people want to rearrange or revisit?

Well, since this is going to appear on Friday, I guess saying it on the day of the first show is not such a big deal…we’re going to be doing an acoustic set this year at the beginning of the second set. It’s the first time in over a decade that we’ve done an acoustic set. As of now we’re planning on opening every second set with a few acoustic numbers, which is going to be really fun and challenging. We’ve been spending a lot of time rehearsing that stuff—coming up with songs we’ve never performed before and taking songs that we have performed before and turning them into acoustic versions.

Greg has a book coming out in May: My Cross To Bear.

Acoustic set looks okay - never was a fan of Soulshine and I am not familier with These Days. Would be cool to hear Needle and the Damage Done. My Favorite Things is a great opener. I saw a couple of Allman Brothers' shows where they did a mini acoustic set in the late 90's. Jack Pearson was in the band.

Allman Brothers Band

March 9, 2012

Beacon Theater

New York, NY

CD ONE:

Set 1:

d1t01; Bill Graham intro

d1t02: My Favorite Things

d1t03: Blue Sky ~ Gregg sings

d1t04: Trouble No More

d1t05: Gilded Splinters

d1t06: Worried Down With The Blues

d1t07: Midnight Rider

d1t08: That's What Love Will Make You Do

d1t09: Kind Of Bird

CD TWO:

Set 2:

~acoustic ~

d2t01: tuning

d2t02: Needle and the Damage Done

d2t03: Come On In My Kitchen

d2t04: Soulshine

d2t05: These Days

~electric ~

d3t06: Rocking Horse

d3t07: Black-Hearted Woman

CD THREE:

d3t01: Same Thing

d3t02: Oteil solo > drums

d3t03: Jessica

d3t04: crowd

~encore~

s3t05: You Don't Love Me

I was wondering the same thing. I figure there will be some video out there.

The Allman Brothers Band have announced a new music festival. A Northeast answer to their Wanee fest, the Brothers will host the Peach Music Festival at Scranton PA’s Montage Mountain from August 10-12. In addition to The Allmans and their extended network of bands, the three-day event will feature additional acts from the jam, rock, blues and country worlds.