The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

In Gregory's book, he said he is now sober and found Jesus and stuff. Prior to that happening, he took to waking up in the middle of the night to have a few slugs to keep the shakes from bothering him too much. Whoa.

First time I saw them was in 87 when Warren and Woody were in the band and man, they ripped the joint up.

My first show was in 94 - The Allman Brothers played on 6/22 at the World and the Dead played on the 23rd and 24th at Soldier Field - great three days. The Allman Brothers show was far better than the two Dead shows.

My first show was in 94 - The Allman Brothers played on 6/22 at the World and the Dead played on the 23rd and 24th at Soldier Field - great three days. The Allman Brothers show was far better than the two Dead shows.

Yep, I did the same thing.....last time I saw the Bros...

We are taking our 12 year old son to NYC for two nights of the Beacon run. It'll be the first time in NYC for all of us and the first time seeing the Allmans for my wife and son. We are beyond stoked for this!!

My husband and I (and friends) are going to the Beacon show on the 16th.  My husband is also going on the 15th.  We may go to the last one on the 17th, depending on who is rumored to be sitting in.  We've gone most years.  Super fun!  Last year, Dan was able to catch our own Nels Cline playing with them.  The only downside is the ticket prices!!  Drinks are expensive inside as well.  But there are no bad seats and the crowd is great, always very enthusiastic.  

You will love NYC, let me know if you need any suggestions.

I can't deal with the ticket prices they want to get for a "tribute band".  Think about it, none of the front line (Guitar, Guitar, Bass) are still there yet they still play and still get the fans.  No different then Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I understand they can't get along with Dickie but I saw them a few years ago and it was just OK and I felt like I was watching a tribute.  For those who enjoy it...go for it.

I can't deal with the ticket prices they want to get for a "tribute band".  Think about it, none of the front line (Guitar, Guitar, Bass) are still there yet they still play and still get the fans.  No different then Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I understand they can't get along with Dickie but I saw them a few years ago and it was just OK and I felt like I was watching a tribute.  For those who enjoy it...go for it.

I don't consider them a "tribute band", but I won't argue the point with those who do, I get it.  But "tribute" or not, the chance to hear Derek and Warren together on the same stage, in front of that rhythm section, makes it all worth it to me. 

I would disagree with that term also. Warren has been in the band sine 1989, Oteil since 1997, and Derek since 1999. Of course, they had several dudes in the band since the last time they re-formed. But I think that is typical with a band that has been around since 1969.

The reason Dickey was asked to leave was due to the fact he was too wasted to play. I think there was also some sort of falling out on the business side of things.

If Gregg hangs it up, and they bring in a dude who sounds like him - then I will agree with you.

My husband and I (and friends) are going to the Beacon show on the 16th.  My husband is also going on the 15th.  We may go to the last one on the 17th, depending on who is rumored to be sitting in.  We've gone most years.  Super fun!  Last year, Dan was able to catch our own Nels Cline playing with them.  The only downside is the ticket prices!!  Drinks are expensive inside as well.  But there are no bad seats and the crowd is great, always very enthusiastic.  

You will love NYC, let me know if you need any suggestions.

Thanks! We are going on the 8th and 9th, so not the same shows as you guys. I have a long list of places to eat and stuff to do while in NYC based on my own research, but I'm always interested in suggestions from folks who know. If you want to shoot a few ideas my way, I'd appreciate it. Our 12 year old will be with us, but he's precocious and a rocker and can hang with the grownups no problem. Cool bars that serve food so he can get in are places we want to know about. Staying in Chelsea and planning on one day cruising up thru Midtown to Central Park and then another day for heading south to the Village/Lower East Side/Lower Manhattan. Then we have one day with no show, thinking about going to the Village Vanguard or the Blue Note for jazz. Are there other jazz clubs/lounges that our son can get into?

That's a good question about jazz clubs where kids would be welcome.  I would definitely call and find out.  The Blue Note could possibly have music going on a weekend afternoon so that might be more youth friendly.  We usually stay in Chelsea as well.  It is perfectly located on the A/C/E subway lines so it is very convenient to get anywhere.  Make sure you take a walk on the Highline and walk through Chelsea Market http://chelseamarket.com/-super breakfast to be had at Friedman's Lunch there.  In midtown I like Valhalla for beer and Casalulla for food.  9th Ave is great for different restaurants in Midtown away from the Planet Hollywood/Guy Fieri tourist fray.  We like to hit up Dive 75 on the Upper West Side before Beacon shows.  Have a great time!!

Yep, I did the same thing.....last time I saw the Bros...

I too hit these three shows.  If I remember correctly this was a H.O.R.D.E Festival show which also featured Sheryl Crow and Blues Traveler (with the Allman Brothers headlining).  Adding to this great weekend was Traffic who opened for the Grateful Dead at Soldiers Field.  

Some funny memories.... A group of 9 of us piled into a suite at the Ritz-Carlton that weekend for some upscale partying.  It was a wild scene as the Dead were staying there too.  I ran into Jerry in the hotel gym riding a stationary bike (which just seemed very un Jerry-like at the time), had drinks with Bob Weir and Harry Popick at the bar in the lobby after the 1st show, and shared an elevator ride with Tony Bennett who was also staying in the hotel.  Not to mention, I'll never forget the look on the valet guy's face at the Ritz when I arrived in  my rust laden 81' K5 Chevy Blazer.  Good times !

Back to the Allman's.... In my opinion this was the best 'post Duane' ABB line up.  Haynes, Woody, and Betts ...  now that's hard to beat.  The band obviously really changed when Gregg jettisoned Dickey.  Losing great rockers such as Blue Sky, Change My Way Of Living, Jessica, and (my favorite) Seven Turns was a real let down - especially since they were replaced with a slew of Gregg's blues standards.  

I too hit these three shows.  If I remember correctly this was a H.O.R.D.E Festival show which also featured Sheryl Crow and Blues Traveler (with the Allman Brothers headlining).  Adding to this great weekend was Traffic who opened for the Grateful Dead at Soldiers Field.  

Some funny memories.... A group of 9 of us piled into a suite at the Ritz-Carlton that weekend for some upscale partying.  It was a wild scene as the Dead were staying there too.  I ran into Jerry in the hotel gym riding a stationary bike (which just seemed very un Jerry-like at the time), had drinks with Bob Weir and Harry Popick at the bar in the lobby after the 1st show, and shared an elevator ride with Tony Bennett who was also staying in the hotel.  Not to mention, I'll never forget the look on the valet guy's face at the Ritz when I arrived in  my rust laden 81' K5 Chevy Blazer.  Good times !

Back to the Allman's.... In my opinion this was the best 'post Duane' ABB line up.  Haynes, Woody, and Betts ...  now that's hard to beat.  The band obviously really changed when Gregg jettisoned Dickey.  Losing great rockers such as Blue Sky, Change My Way Of Living, Jessica, and (my favorite) Seven Turns was a real let down - especially since they were replaced with a slew of Gregg's blues standards.  

That's the line-up I saw. They still play some of those songs. At least I know they have played Blue Sky and Jessica. I have not listened to those reunion albums in years. I listen to Hittin' the Note every once in a while. I wonder if they will make another studio album. The way Butch talks - they are not far from retiring.

I loved Woody in the band, I was fortunate to see him with the Allmans many times.  Not to take anything away from Oteil, who's playing I also thoroughly enjoy, but in a very different way.  But whether the Haynes, Woody and Betts lineup is hard to beat?  I can make a very strong case that Derek, Warren and Oteil do.  Derek just drops my jaw all the time.  And I perceive the chemistry between him and Warren to be much better.  We've lost some Dickey tunes from the setlist, but Jessica remains frequently played and Blue Sky has found its way back since the Eat A Peach anniversary shows.  I never find that I miss Betts when I see this lineup.

I'm with MKHstudios, I vastly prefer Warren and Dickey to Warren and Derek. Derek is mighty good, but there is something kinda clinical, too-perfect, too-controlled in his playing. Even when he's blazing away and he does blaze there is no doubt, it seems to me he's thinking about it rather than feeling it. That is a completely subjective opinion that I have no evidence for. On the other hand, to my ears, the chemistry between Warren and Dickey in the 90s was on another level of brilliance. They'd send me into fits of ecstasy every time. I swear I felt the entire venue levitate when they would trade solos on Blue Sky. Dickey would take the first solo and I'd think "how in the hell is Warren gonna top that?" and then he'd step up and wail away on the slide, taking the song higher and then when he was finished, Dickey would answer back with an even more intense solo. It was crazy-sick amazing. Yeah, the Allmans in the mid 90s were towering like giants and the Dead, sadly, were running on fumes. I was frankly surprised that the Allmans and the Dead never did some shows together in those years. It seemed so obvious to me, like a '93 20th anniv. of Watkins Glen or something like that. One thing that could get ol' Jerr fired up in those years was having a guest sit in who was not afraid to push him to step up his game. Dickey would've done that for sure. Would've loved a Warren and Dickey sit in for a killer Spanish Jam, NFA>GDTRFB or something like that. Maybe a Bird Song?

Thanks for the NYC suggestions, I'll check 'em out!

He makes that pretty clear in his book.  As well as the Dead's fans.  To my surprise, Gregg recounts that Dickey was the Dead fan in the band, or one of them.

Makes sense that Dickey was the Dead fan, he was instrumentally quoting Franklin's Tower in their Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad jams towards the end of his time with the Allmans, if I recall correctly.