The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

It seems odd to me that they are even doing that song.

Blue Sky was done because they did the entire Eat A Peach album on Wednesday. Which followed the entire Live At Fillmore East on Tuesday. I think it was only the 2nd or 3rd time they've done Blue Sky since they kicked Dickey's ass out of the band. Of course Warren has done it with Phil and Furthur. Warren should have sang it Wednesday.

I was getting texts from a friend at Wednesday's show saying that Gregg's vocals were way off and painful to hear. That clip above confirms. When I saw them this summer at the Beacon Hep C benefit, they were great, Gregg sounded good; but they had the support of guest vocalists as well. Maybe whole performances at a 4 night run is taxing for Gregg a bit. Hopefully it's just taking him a while to get over health issues and not a result of destructive substances. The last 5 years or so have been stellar.

That said, Warren is doing exactly what he should be doing. Playing, not singing.

The hardest working man in the music business. I wonder if that guy ever takes a rest?

Definitely one of em. (Dylan and Willie, being two more). Everyone has bad show once in awhile. That being said, I would have been a bit bummed if I sprang for a ticket.

My friends went Tuesday and Wednesday. HUGE ABB fans. They both said both nights were bad. Again, hope Gregg gets over whatever it is and is back on top soon. I read through the Allman sight and there seems to be speculation about a Beacon run in 2012.

I'm "gmfeld" over there, so you would have seen my commentary. I didn't think the band was off, but Gregg is really struggling and is just not performance worthy at this point. Too many blown lyrics, doesn't know when to come in with the vocals, can't keep up with the tempo when he does remember the lyrics. Not every song, but too many, and it's way too noticeable.

pretty much what happened to garcia.

That's interesting. I had dinner last night with my bro-in-law and he was telling me about going to see the Allmans earlier this week (Wednesday night, I think). He is only a casual fan but he said the show was amazing. He said that Derek Trucks was the best lead guitarist he has ever seen (and he's seen Clapton, Garcia, among others). He said that Gregg was a secondary or tertiary player in the show but that Trucks was mind-blowingly good.

That's interesting. I had dinner last night with my bro-in-law and he was telling me about going to see the Allmans earlier this week (Wednesday night, I think). He is only a casual fan but he said the show was amazing. He said that Derek Trucks was the best lead guitarist he has ever seen (and he's seen Clapton, Garcia, among others). He said that Gregg was a secondary or tertiary player in the show but that Trucks was mind-blowingly good.

He is pretty good....doesnt compare to Jimmy Page or Neil Young.

I figured that is what the deal was. I recall reading somewhere they were going to start doing the play a whole album at each show thing.

I rather enjoy the version that is on the 9/19/1971 archive release.

I bought that CD about 6 months ago. Only version of blue Sky (Live) with Duane I ever heard.....EPIC.

ABB could def go on without Gregg. warren could sing everything.

derek is a great guitarist, however, as with most technical geniuses, he lacks creativity and melody and gets pretty boring.

What a trainwreck. The way Greg comes in at the end of Derek's solo just as Warren is about to start his - jeez. Warren shakes his head, Derek has to wander over to Greg to tell him to stop. And the whole think being played at a soporific pace anyway. Sad.

It was at that point my buddy texted me: "if he was a horse, they would just shoot him".

ABB could def go on without Gregg. warren could sing everything.

derek is a great guitarist, however, as with most technical geniuses, he lacks creativity and melody and gets pretty boring.

I disagree on the first point. I really don't care for Warren's singing, and Gregg's voice is a defining ABB element, I think.

I couldn't agree more on the second point. I think Warren has some of that as well.

Greg's health issues have to due with Hep C, and the liver transplant he had.

You can't have the Allman Brothers Band without Greg Allman. That's crazy.

I also disagree with the comments about Derek and Warren. They are great guitar players.

I say disagree, in that to my ears they are playing with feeling. I don't see them as lacking creativity.

Of course - they are not Duane and Dickey - but who is?

I am sort of surprised they are still playing shows. I would think they may hang it up before too long.

I also disagree with the comments about Derek and Warren. They are great guitar players.

I agree that they both are great guitar players as well. No doubt about it. I go and keep seeing ABB, Gov't Mule, Warren Haynes Band, Trucks/Tedesci, etc; so I am definitely a fan. But, the Allman Bros are my favorite, and it's because of Gregg, I think. Well, Gregg and Otiel.

Whenever I see Trucks or Haynes without the ABB, I always come away missing something. I recognize and appreciate proficient guitar playing. But The ABB has something the others are lacking; heart, emotion, the songs, groove? I'm not sure. I had high hopes for The Warren Haynes Band a few weeks ago, but came away a little empty. My husband says he can't figure out why Warren's wife doesn't just tell him that he shouldn't sing. That Soulshine song? Blech. Just play the guitar. That's all anyone wants and expects.

I wish the "hamburger video" was still up somewhere. I rather like that song - Soulshine. Warren must really like the song - as he seems to play it all the time.

The only time I saw the band, Dickey and Woody were still in the band.

I agree that they both are great guitar players as well. No doubt about it. I go and keep seeing ABB, Gov't Mule, Warren Haynes Band, Trucks/Tedesci, etc; so I am definitely a fan. But, the Allman Bros are my favorite, and it's because of Gregg, I think. Well, Gregg and Otiel.

Whenever I see Trucks or Haynes without the ABB, I always come away missing something. I recognize and appreciate proficient guitar playing. But The ABB has something the others are lacking; heart, emotion, the songs, groove? I'm not sure. I had high hopes for The Warren Haynes Band a few weeks ago, but came away a little empty. My husband says he can't figure out why Warren's wife doesn't just tell him that he shouldn't sing. That Soulshine song? Blech. Just play the guitar. That's all anyone wants and expects.

I agree in part. I love Derek and Warren, and love hearing them play in their own thing. But there is something about the full impact of the ABB; whether its Oteil, the percussion (I think Marc is an unsung hero of that band), the Hammond B-3, Gregg's singing (when he remembers the words), the whole package together is something when they're on. Plus, getting to see Derek and Warren together, trading licks in a guitar war on Woman Across the River or wrapping those harmonized lead lines around each other, is something to behold, a treat you don't get seeing their individual bands.

Disagree about Warren's singing. I love hearing him sing, what a soulful voice he has. And I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Warren Haynes Band show I saw. Love the soul and R&B stuff, with a killer band. Mule had gotten old to me-the songwriting wasn't keeping up-but Man in Motion and the tour really raised the bar I thought.

Disagree about Warren's singing. I love hearing him sing, what a soulful voice he has. And I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Warren Haynes Band show I saw. Love the soul and R&B stuff, with a killer band. Mule had gotten old to me-the songwriting wasn't keeping up-but Man in Motion and the tour really raised the bar I thought.

I saw them in Torrington, CT. Did you get the feeling that the band wasn't really given the opportunity to cut loose? It seemed that way to me. They opened up a little on the covers, but on Warren's originals they were pretty subdued. And it was a heavy-on-originals setlist.

I saw them in Torrington, CT. Did you get the feeling that the band wasn't really given the opportunity to cut loose? It seemed that way to me. They opened up a little on the covers, but on Warren's originals they were pretty subdued. And it was a heavy-on-originals setlist.

I saw the Orpheum show in May. I didn't think they were subdued at all. But I really like the songs from Man in Motion, and there were some great covers in there too. I have a pretty good recording of the Orpheum show, I'd be happy to send to you if you'd like.