The Allman Brothers Band

Hittin' The Note (official website).

The Allman Brothers Band (Wikipedia entry).

Photographs from the Beacon Run (2009).

Albums:

The Allman Brothers Band

Idlewild South

At Fillmore East

Eat a Peach

Brothers and Sisters

Win, Lose or Draw

Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas

Enlightened Rogues

Reach for the Sky

Brothers of the Road

Seven Turns

Shades of Two Worlds

An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: First Set

Where It All Begins

An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: 2nd Set

Peakin' at the Beacon

Hittin' the Note

One Way Out

Officially released vault shows:

Live at Ludlow Garage: 1970

Fillmore East, February 1970

Performances by the Grateful Dead from the same set of shows have been released on two albums

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

That is one of Butch Truck's ideas/companies.

I've only saw them once:

Band/Artist: The Allman Brothers Band

Date: 09/01/95

Venue: Star Lake Amphitheater

Opening band: The Jayhawks with Victoria Williams

Notes: (I am looking for this show.)

1. Don't Want You No More

2. It's Not My Cross To Bear

3. Ain't Wastin' Time No More

4. Ramblin' Man

5. Good Clean Fun

6. Sailin' 'Cross The Devil's Sea

7. The Same Thing

8. Soulshine

9. End Of The Line

10. Stormy Monday

11. Back Where It All Begins

12. Hoochie Coochie Man

13. No One To Run With

14. Jessica

15. Southbound

Encore:

16.One Way Out

17. Whipping Post

Great idea for a thread! I never miss the Brothers when they are in my area - one of the truly great live bands, American or otherwise.

Below was written on a Stones board by a guy who is watching the internet feed. This should sound pretty good.

Page McConnell and Trey Anastasio from Phish are now on stage with the ABB and Buddy Guy.[/b
Holy shit, calvino! :dancing

Wouldn't mind getting the tape of this show.

Tonight's (3.12.09) setlist was:

Set 1:

Little Martha

Trouble No More

Leave My Blues at Home

Who's Been Talking

Black Hearted Woman

You Can't Lose What You Never Had

The Sky Is Crying (with Buddy Guy)

You Don't Love Me (with Buddy Guy)

Southbound (Buddy Guy/PageMcConnell/Trey Anastasio)

Set 2

I Know You Rider w/Trey Anastasio & Page McConnell

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed w/Trey Anastasio & Page McConnell

Dreams

Jessica

Encore: Statesboro Blues

I used to go see them every year in Atlanta during the Dickey/Warren Haynes/Allen Woody years. It was always my most anticipated and favorite concert of the year. One year there was a huge downpour the day of the show and the stage flooded causing the show to be postponed until a few days later. I remember Dickey went on the classic rock station to explain the situation. He said "all that rain flooded the crick and washed out the stage".

I haven't seen the Allmans in a long time. Not since Dickey's firing. I always mean to go se them, especially since I think Derek Trucks is so incredible, but somehow I never wind up going anymore. (Dickey sat in with them at a few of the shows I saw in the '90s. I think he was 13-14 years old then).

My last Allman related performance was a drum clinic at Mars Music store with Butch Trucks, Jaimoe and the percussionist. After the drummers did their thing they brought out Oteil Burbridge and his brother Kofi, along with whoever the short-stint guitarist in the Allmans was at the time. They palyed a really nice version of Hot'Lanta, and a couple other tunes.

I'll have to make a point of seeing them next time around.

It could have been Jack Pearson.

Yeah, I think that's right. He played really well at the drum clinic, and I regret missing the show he did with the full band. I know they went through quite a few guitarists at that time. Jimmy Herring did a stint, and if I'm not mistaken Zakk Wylde even did a show or two.

and if I'm not mistaken Zakk Wylde even did a show or two.

I've read about that show.

On August 1, 1993, Zakk appeared on stage with the Allman Brothers on lead guitar since Dickey Betts was unable to make the show, and they needed a guitarist at the last minute. This show is documented on the bootleg "Zakk Goes Wylde."
I saw them a few times in the late 80/early 90s with Warren and Woody.........that was some primo stuff man.

Yes.

The lineup I saw in August 1990 (with Johnny Neel, piano) was probably the best show out of the dozen or so times I've saw the ABB. Just an incredible night. Second row - watching Betts wiggle those strings from that close up was a real revelation.

Great thread. Been listening to the Bros a lot lately. My dad bought in for the Moogis.com subscription of the Beacon run and so I checked out night 1 with Taj and Levon. Tremendously great show! I'm jealous of whomever it was that said they were there. My dad and I used to go to one of the Beacon shows every year when I lived in the NYC area. We considered making a road trip this year, but the finances didn't work out. Hence, the online streaming thing.

While I never saw the original incarnation of the band (or even the second version, for that matter, post Duane and Berry), but I can say that the early-90s revival of the band AND the Derek-era '00s are both among the most amazing live bands I have ever seen. (and very different, stylistically)

The first time I saw them was at an outdoor shed on a hot summer night and Dickey's winding country-rock songs ruled the night. The Liz Reed>Jessica that closed the show was the most spellbinding/jaw-dropping/amazing thing I had ever seen. I was like 16 years old and stone-cold sober, but discovered that night just how potent of a drug music itself can be.

Fast forward a few years and my dad and I started the Beacon show tradition. By then I had moved well into adulthood and into more of my indie-guy phase and so I'm not supposed to be moved so much anymore by these old, jammy guys, or something like that. Meh. Well...search the archives, there's a post about it somewhere, but the Beacon show I saw in '06 contained my first Mountain Jam and it was nothing short of a religious experience. Derek was on another level that night and Warren, after playing catch-up all night, finally met him eye to eye on top of the Mountain and the whole thing was just absolute magic. That MJ was 30 minutes of bliss that are unparalleled in my rock-show-experience.(except by the above mentioned Liz/Jess)

Good stuff.

I will add that I did see them once in the late-90s with Jack Pearson sitting in and I remember being really disappointed in that show...except for a short guest appearance by some teenage kid named Derek who was surprisingly good...

Of all their great tunes that stretch out and 'jam' I'd have to say that Elizabeth Reed is my favorite - it's almost like the ABB's "Dark Star". SO many great versions out there. Of course, the Fillmore East is the one that's most well known, but check out the "Wipe The Windows" take - Chuck Leavell takes a real nice solo there...and the Merriweather Post '79 version (with Dan Toler) SMOKES - it's on the box set that came out around '89-'90. But that acoustic version on "An Evening With...#2" might just be my favorite - really unique.

But that acoustic version on "An Evening With...#2" might just be my favorite - really unique.

Amen. I lost my copy of that cd a long time ago, but I need to get that one back. That acoustic version was astoundingly good.

That's a great box set. I really like those early Hour Glass and Allman Joy tracks. God Rest His Soul is a cool song.

Speaking of live albums, Peakin' at the Beacon is junk. I think I actually threw that cd in the garbage.

Yes.

The lineup I saw in August 1990 (with Johnny Neel, piano) was probably the best show out of the dozen or so times I've saw the ABB.

Johnny Neel was with them the first time I saw them. Amazing show...maybe the best time I saw them, too. It rained the whole time, which seems to inspire bands and also runs off most of the people who are there to chat or party leaving an audience full of people who are truly engaged in the music.

Speaking of live albums, Peakin' at the Beacon is junk. I think I actually threw that cd in the garbage.

Yeah, that one is not so good. That was right before Dickey's exit, right? One Way Out is better, but still somehow I don't think this current incarnation of the band has a truly representative live album. (a nice box set compiled from this year's residency complete with guest appearances, etc, would be awesome)

Yeah, that one is not so good. That was right before Dickey's exit, right? One Way Out is better, but still somehow I don't think this current incarnation of the band has a truly representative live album. (a nice box set compiled from this year's residency complete with guest appearances, etc, would be awesome)

Exactly. It's his playing that stinks. I've never heard One Way Out, and I have not bought any of the vault releases except for Live at Ludlow Garage: 1970, Fillmore East, February 1970, and Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival: July 3 & 5, 1970.