The Allman Brothers Band

I'm also hoping for a Bro Betts appearance.

Matter of fact, since the "2" decided to toss out Betts

I have only referred to the band as AB, or Allman Band.

It isn't a brotherhood less Betts, IMO.

What's the "2"? There are still three original band members.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Posted Images

no. just surprised. i can't see gregg listening to her music. mainly because i really despise her & her music.

There's something about old timers in the music business. The Allmans had impeccable taste in music when they were starting out, but now, maybe not so much.

I'm sure if you asked Ray Davies, or Brian Wilson, or Paul McCartney to name five current artists that they like you'd probaly wind up with a list of the 23 or 24 (edit, oops my math fucking sucks) shittiest bands going, with one or two decent ones thrown in just by chance.

I think they would have been finished if they had not fired him. If you listen to that awful Peakin' At The Beacon album, you will see what the deal was.

I agree about that. I did hear parts of that record and his playing was clearly pretty awful. But I haven't been following what he has been up to since then. I know he passes through town here once or twice a year with his Great Southern band, but I've never made it out to see him. I'd love to hear a great comeback story, but I have no idea...

His getting tossed from the band was a shocker to me only in that I wasn't sure how the band could carry on under the ABB name minus Dickey. It has helped that Derek has the uncanny ability to channel Duane's ghost, but I've been listening to a lot of Derek Trucks Band stuff lately and I think the time has maybe come for him to fully devote himself to that. I know the ABB offers a better paycheck and still allows him plenty of time to pursue his own thing, but still, sometimes I wonder if they're not coming to another crossroads. If Derek leaves (or just loses interest), they're finished again. Re-enter a rehabilitated Mr. Betts? I dunno. Maybe?

If you believe the bloggers, it would appear that if a Dickey-reunion were going to happen, they just missed the prime opportunity. Oh well. Such is life. From the Hidden Track blog:

ABB @ The Beacon: Celebrating 40 Years

Written by Scott Bernstein on 03.27.2009 | Allmans

The Allman Brothers Band celebrated their 40th Anniversary last night by playing their first two albums in their entirety on the 13th show of their 15 show run at New York City

Final two nights -

Mar 27, 2009 (Fri) The Allman Brothers Band Beacon Theatre New York, New York

1. Ain't Wastin' Time No More

2. You Don't Love Me

3. New Instrumental

4. End Of The Line

5. The Sky Is Crying

with Jimmy Hall, harmonica & vocals

6. Grits Ain't Groceries

with Jimmy Hall, sax & vocals

7. Keep On Smiling

with Jimmy Hall, harmonica & vocals

8. Soulshine

with Kid Rock, vocals; Paul Riddle, drums

9. Can't You See

with Kid Rock, vocals; Paul Riddle, drum; Jimmy Hall, harp & vocals

Set II

10. Freebird

with Ivan Neville, piano

11. No One To Run With

12. Who's Been Talking

with Ivan Neville, piano

13. Midnight Rider

with Devon Allman, guitar & vocal

14. One Way Out

with Devon Allman, guitar; Berry Oakley Jr., bass; Jimmy Hall, harp

15. Les Brers In A Minor >

Drum solo (with Butch's big drum)

Encore

16. Melissa

17. Southbound

with Jimmy Hall, sax; Berry Oakley Jr., bass; Paul Riddle, drums

Mar 28, 2009 (Sat) The Allman Brothers Band Beacon Theatre New York, New York

1. Little Martha

2. Done Somebody Wrong

3. Trouble No More

4. Rocking Horse

5. I Walk On Gilded Splinters

6. Who to Believe

7. Born Under A Bad Sign

with Floyd Miles, vocals

8. Stormy Monday

with Floyd Miles, vocals; Chuck Leavell, keyboards

9. Come and Go Blues

with Chuck Leavell, keyboards

10. Jessica

with Chuck Leavell, keyboards; Paul Riddle, drums

Set II

11. Sugaree

with Bob Weir, guitar & vocals; Phil Lesh, bass

12. I Know You Rider

with Bob Weir, guitar & vocals; Phil Lesh, bass

13. Franklin's Tower

with Bob Weir, guitar & vocals; Phil Lesh, bass; Chuck Leavell, keyboards

14. Black Hearted Woman

15. Mountain Jam

with Chuck Leavell, keyboards

Encore

16. Statesboro Blues

I'm sure they will be doing something with those shows. They usually sell their live shows by way of Instant Live. I saw on another message board that someone was posting AUD tapes on Demonoid and such places. As we know, they allow taping, but not torrenting.

I'm sure they will be doing something with those shows. They usually sell their live shows by way of Instant Live. I saw on another message board that someone was posting AUD tapes on Demonoid and such places. As we know, they allow taping, but not torrenting.

Rumor is there is a box set in the works, and there is definitely plenty of great material for it.

I don't think the Instant Live thing applies to the Beacon shows. I have looked for shows I have attended in the past and never saw them available, but their summer shed tours are usually available.

I'm sure copies of these shows will be swirling around. Anyone with a moogis.com account and the software to capture the stream (and way more time/energy to put into it than I have) can put these out in no time. I am (ah hem) not condoning this behavior, but I think it would be amazing to have a complete set of these shows. What a run! It is a travesty if they don't put out a box set of this, particularly in light of the already-maligned-in-this-thread "Peakin' At the Beacon" release. :lol

$499.00 plus $30.00 shipping

Beacon Box 2009

The Allman Brothers Band Announces the Release of their 15 show 2009 Beacon Theatre Run

To commemorate their 40th anniversary, The Allman Brothers Band is releasing a Beacon Box live CD package, capturing all 15 sold-out shows from the group's recent March stand at the venerable Beacon Theatre in New York City. This is the first time the band has made CDs available from their annual visits to New York, which date back to 1989 and includes 188 consecutive sold-out shows at the Beacon.

This run was dedicated to the memory of Duane Allman, seminal guitarist and founder of the band, and to help celebrate Duane's legacy, 60 special guests shared the stage with the Allman Brothers Band. The list includes a "Who's Who" of rock, jazz and jams greats, including Levon Helm, Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, Boz Scaggs, Johnny Winter, Sheryl Crow, Jimmy Herring, John Bell, Stanley Clarke, Kid Rock, Bonnie Bramlett, Robert Randolph, John Hammond, Billy Gibbons, David Hidalgo, Cesar Rosas, Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jerry Jammott, Bernard Purdie, Jimmy Smith, Chuck Leavell, Jimmy Hall, Susan Tedeschi, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh and many others. Also appearing for two nights with the band was the inimitable Eric Clapton, who teamed with Duane Allman to record Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs in 1970; considered by many critics to be the finest guitar album of all time. This marked the first time Clapton had played with the Allman Brothers Band in a public setting.

The fact that the band performed at its considerable best in its 40th year is a remarkable testament to the talents of America's finest live performance group, and all the magic of timeless classics, newer tunes and spectacular cover songs shines through on the Beacon Box live CD package. The 15 historical shows will be packaged in a custom-made, hand-crafted box, made to look like the Beacon Theatre's marquee. In addition to the Beacon concerts, this box set will include a special bonus performance of the Allman Brothers Band at Warren Haynes' 20th annual Christmas Jam which occurred in December of 2008. Also included in the box set will be 40 exclusive photos taken during the run by ABB Tour Mystic, Kirk West. Shows are also available on an individual basis as well, so take advantage of this once in a lifetime offer to savor a once in a lifetime event. Please click here for set list, descriptions of each show and to order!

It's nice that they are selling each show separately, also. I was hoping for a box set, but the price is a bit steep for me, though it would be great to have. I may just have to figure out a way to rationalize the purchase to my wife. :lol

Hmmm. Looks like I'll play the lotto this week and see if I can't hit for 500 bucks. :stunned

:blink

Alright, yeah, it is fifteen 3 hour shows, so, ummm, lets see.......divide by pi....carry the 1.....aw, hell, I won't do the math. Its probably a fair price, but it feels kind of ridiculous. Nice that they are selling individual shows, though.

I was following along with the streaming video for the first 5 or 6 shows before I burned out on it. I've moved on to listening to lots and lots of Derek's band. Just picked up his new record the other day and it is fantastic.

I saw a post on another board about someone taking the sound from the video stream and posting it on the demon place.

'Tis quite easy to do, if one were so inclined.

I'm curious how much better these recordings they are selling would sound vs., say, somebody who recorded the stream. It was pretty high-quality sound.

The stream rip will be in Mp3. I would figure that the cds they are selling would be miles ahead of such a rip. It must have been quite a chore dealing with all the guest artists record companies.

The stream rip will be in Mp3. I would figure that the cds they are selling would be miles ahead of such a rip. It must have been quite a chore dealing with all the guest artists record companies.

I would think so. That is quite a roster of guests.

For the record, as for sales of individual shows goes, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the one with Kid Rock singing "Soulshine" is not going to be their top seller. :lol