The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I don't have Scaggs album, but I have Duane's An Anthology and Loan Me Dime is on that. Great, great long jam.

Yeah, they played that one the other night w/ Scaggs. Awesome song. I can't check it from work here, but there very well may be a YouTube video of it out there.

>He just put out a new album not to long ago. I figure there will come a day when he leaves the band to do his own thing full time.

He's pulling a Warren-type three-fer by playing solo, with the Allmans, and also with Clapton. I don't know if playing with Clapton was semi-permanent or just for a tour or two. Nice balance, nevertheless.

He just put out a new album not to long ago. I figure there will come a day when he leaves the band to do his own thing full time.

When the ABB started making a big deal about the 40th anniversary of the band this year, I heard a lot of rumors that this year was going to be a farewell, of sorts. The band denies it and I don't think it is necessarily true either, but I would not at all be surprised to see the ABB become a more sporadic operation and let the younger guys spend increasingly more time on their own projects. That's great that Derek is getting more attention. He really is my favorite player out there right now. His DTB records are very good--I actually preferred it before they added a full-time vocalist, but the newer ones are good, too.

He just put out a new album not to long ago. I figure there will come a day when he leaves the band to do his own thing full time.

I don't know that he'll have to leave. The ABB are touring less as the original three get older and have experienced more health issues so he and the others have plenty of time to do their own thing. Plus, it's a much better revenue stream for him compared to his solo stuff, so if the schedule isn't too demanding then I would think he'd stick with it.

My husband will be at the Beacon this Friday and Saturday. Rumor is that Eric Clapton will be there. That should be nice. For my husband. I'll be home with the kids.

Uh oh, Clapton showed up on Thursday...

ABB Night 8: The Slowhand Cometh

Hope your husband wasn't too set on that... (maybe he'll make it a multi-night appearance?) :unsure

Sheryl Crow played last night. What's her connection, other than through Clapton?

I guess it was around the time TNBC came out cica '93, she opened a leg of a tour,

can't recall the date. It may have even been the year before that album, somewhere

around that period though.

Back then I was stopping in at The Big House in Macon, Ga to visit Kirk & Kirsten West

a good bit. Really just seeinh how the house refurbish was going and as always just to

listen to Kirk ramble on for hours about the early days of the Brothers, etc.

Kirk was absolutely in awe, I would say "love" with SC. According to Kirk, the band also

very much liked SC and she was more than an opening act but a friend. Anytime I could find a

SC bootleg, yes they were import boots back then as her following overseas was much stronger than

here ....I would buy two and take one down to The Big House for Kirk.

There may have been some post sit-ins etc over the years which I can't recall but this is the

time frame where the Brothers and SC first came together.

***edit: Below is a link to The Big House, appears KW bought it in the summer of '93

so I was probably stopping in by late summer. I assume then SC opened some summer '93

dates.

History of TBH, Macon, Ga

Edit: it's out now. 25 bucks.

Please Call Home

The film chronicles three years from 1970 to 1973 when the Allman Brothers Band lived in the "Big House" at 2321 Vineville Avenue in Macon, Georgia. This was a time that saw triumph and tragedy as the band went from playing for free in Central City Park in Macon and Piedmont Park in Atlanta to selling out stadiums across the country, but also lost two of its brothers, seminal slide guitarist Duane Allman and bassist Berry Oakley, in separate motorcycle accidents a year apart on the streets of Macon. These were the years that the group became the road warriors who broke down color barriers as the first integrated rock band to come out of the South.
I hope that film comes out on dvd eventually.

Please Call Home

I agree, would love to see the film. During this time of the Piedmont gigs the

Brothers and all hanger-ons had access to the artist Peter Max's place near the

park. I'm not sure why PM had a studio/house in Georgia at the time.

My aunt (who BTW turned me onto good music back then and got this kid's ball rollin')

was a frequent attendee of the park shows as well PM's place. Oh, the stories she

has shared.

wow, the allman's are big sheryl crow fans? that's disheartening.

I remember really liking the first song on her first album. That's about it, really. Eh, oh well. I don't really see too much musical connection (although she always did strike me as a "classic rock" fangirl), but maybe she is just a friend of the band? I mean, really, what is Bruce Willis' musical connection to the band? I mean, that Seagram's Wine Coolers commercial was teh awesome all those years ago, but, really?

Yeah, I guess I'd be disappointed to be in the audience the night of the Sheryl Crow guest spot and then find out that Clapton showed up at the following show. Can't win 'em all, I guess. :lol

Uh oh, Clapton showed up on Thursday...

ABB Night 8: The Slowhand Cometh

Hope your husband wasn't too set on that... (maybe he'll make it a multi-night appearance?) :unsure

Answering my own post here, but I was just reading a blog that seemed to suggest that Clapton will be back at the Beacon tonight. I will be curious to see what they play if he comes back for more. I can't see them repeating songs, so.......what?

Answering my own post here, but I was just reading a blog that seemed to suggest that Clapton will be back at the Beacon tonight. I will be curious to see what they play if he comes back for more. I can't see them repeating songs, so.......what?

No, he knew somehow that it was last night and tonight. I think he's pretty happy about it actually, because now he gets two nights with two different guests. I just hope he's sober enough to remember them. :thumbup

March 19, 2009

Set 1:

Little Martha

Statesboro Blues

Done Somebody Wrong

Revival

Woman Across the River

Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

Whippin' Post

Set 2:

Oncoming Traffic 1

Come and Go Blues

Good Morning Little School Girl 2

Key to the Highway 3

Dreams 3

Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad? 3

(It would have been nice to see Bobby Whitlock show up and sing this.)

Little Wing 3

Anyday 3,4

E: Layla 2,3

NOTES:

1. Gregg - solo

2. w/ Danny Louis - keyboard

3. w/ Eric Clapton - vocals, guitar

4. w/ Susan Tedeschi - vocals

Special Guests:

Eric Clapton - vocals, guitar

Danny Louis - keyboard

Susan Tedeschi - vocals

March 24, 2009

Set 1:

Hot 'Lanta >

Ain't Wastin' Time No More

Jam >

Rockin' Horse > 1

The Eleven Jam > 2

Rockin' Horse

Trouble No More

Goin' Down Slow 3,4

? song 3,4

Midnight Rider 5

Dreams 5

Southbound 4,5,6,7

Set 2:

Jesus Just Left Chicago 8,9

Stormy Monday 8

Statesboro Blues 8

Same Thing 6

Mountain Jam >

Smokestack Lightning >

Third Stone from the Sun jam >

Mountain Jam

E: One Way Out 4,6,8

NOTES:

1. "Little Martha" (tease)

2. "Blue Sky" (tease)

3. w/ Thom Doucette - harp

4. w/ Bob Margolin - vocals, guitar

5. w/ Sonny Landreth - guitar

6. w/ John Popper - harp

7. w/ Steve ? - drums

8. w/ Billy Gibbons - vocals, guitar

9. entire band wears fake beards & cheap sunglasses

Special Guests:

Billy Gibbons - vocals, guitar

Sonny Landreth - guitar

John Popper - harp

Thom Doucette - harp

Bob Margolin - vocals, guitar

Steve ? - drums

6. w/ John Popper - harp

This is the first guest-appearance through this whole thing that made me cringe. Yeah, I went through a Blues Traveler period in the early-90s, but at some point I hit my threshold of how many of his harmonica solos I can take and even now I can't take no more. :(

Anybody else holding out a tiny shred of hope that the final night of the Beacon run will feature a reconciliation with Dickey? It would be a neat way to cap off an epic run.

Seems far-fetched. I have no idea about Dickey's current status and I can't imagine that his relationship with the band has been very good for the past several years. And I don't even know if I would want it to become a permanent thing if it did happen, since Derek has been the best thing about this band for years now--but one recurrent thought through this run is "Damn, I really miss some of the Dickey songs." Seriously, a "Blue Sky" bust-out would make me smile for weeks.