The Allman Brothers Band

Elizabeth Reed ...

that acoustic version on "An Evening With...#2" might just be my favorite - really unique.

The first time I heard that version I could not believe my ears. I'm still amazed that they were able to play that so well with acoustic instruments.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Exactly. It's his playing that stinks. I've never heard One Way Out, and I have not bought any of the vault releases except for Live at Ludlow Garage: 1970, Fillmore East, February 1970, and Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival: July 3 & 5, 1970.

Get yourself the Stony Brook 9/19/71 release.

Several of the songs on there are my favorite-ever recorded versions I've heard. Blue Sky, for one--damn. Its strange to hear that song prefaced with "Here's a new one Dickey Betts wrote..." I don't know how many live versions of that song exist with Duane on them, but this is just.....daaaaamn.

Smoking version of One Way Out. Also my favorite Stormy Monday. Dream/Liz Reed is ridiculous, too. Sound quality of this thing is iffy, but the playing is dead-on.

I have the Hittin' The Note (which you can buy in Barnes and Noble now) that has a long interview with Kirk West where he talks about the archival releases. I think they originally planned to do a Dick's Picks type of deal. I think the band was not to happy about some of the releases that have come out, such as the Atlanta Pop Festival cds. I recall reading somewhere about a lawsuit they had going on with Polygram over tapes of shows and unreleased studio tracks.

I have the Hittin' The Note (which you can buy in Barnes and Noble now) that has a long interview with Kirk West where he talks about the archival releases. I think they originally planned to do a Dick's Picks type of deal. I think the band was not to happy about some of the releases that have come out, such as the Atlanta Pop Festival cds. I recall reading somewhere about a lawsuit they had going on with Polygram over tapes of shows and unreleased studio tracks.

That's unfortunate. A DP type deal would be cool. I know the initial focus was on highlighting the Duane years, but I'd love to hear some later years stuff, too. I haven't heard the Atlanta Pop Festival one. When you say it is "ragged", do you mean the playing or the sound quality? The sound quality on the American U and Stony Brook releases are sub-par, I would say, but acceptable. I wouldn't mind hearing what they would sound like cleaned up like some of the GD releases.

Atlanta Pop was professionally recorded. It's the playing that I feel is ragged. Maybe loose is a better word to use.

Speaking of The Beacon Run - I have to post this again:

I'm not home to check my copy, but is Atlanta Pop Festival disk that has the rather "stoned out" intro of band? If so it cracks me up every time I put it on.

That is funny.

I've always though that the dictionary definition for the word longing should include a listing for the song Melissa.

Get yourself the Stony Brook 9/19/71 release.

Several of the songs on there are my favorite-ever recorded versions I've heard. Blue Sky, for one--damn. Its strange to hear that song prefaced with "Here's a new one Dickey Betts wrote..." I don't know how many live versions of that song exist with Duane on them, but this is just.....daaaaamn.

I had no idea such a thing exists. I'm definitely going to get that one.

There have been five so far:

American University 12/13/70

S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook: Stonybrook, NY 9/19/71

Macon City Auditorium: 2/11/72

Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY: 5/1/73

Boston Common, 8/17/71

I am curious to what they sound like -

FWIW, if you have the means and the interest, the Moogis.com thing is fully worth the $100+ bucks it costs. I had my doubts about it, but my dad went ahead and got a subscription and has been generous enough to "share" with me. Right now I am listening to the show with Boz Scaggs and (get this) Bruce f'n Willis on harmonica.(!!?! :lol)

I haven't gotten to that point in the show yet, but in reference to the "Phish is destroying Hampton" thread, if Phish was destroying Hampton, then the ABB is ruling NYC right now. Every note I have heard of this year's run has been astonishing. Really, these guys seem energized.

Link to set lists page on Hittin' The Note.

Set list from last night:

March 14, 2009

Set 1:

Little Martha 1

Ain't Wastin' Time No More

I Walk on Guilded Splinters

Jam >

Rockin' Horse >

The Eleven Jam >

Rockin' Horse

Gambler's Roll

Revival

Woman Across the River 2,3,4

Dreams 2,3,4

Set 2:

Melissa

Turn on Your Lovelight > 5

Drums > 5

One Way Out 5

? instrumental > 3,4

In A Silent Way 3,4

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed 3,4

Drums > 4

Jam > 4,6

Bass > 4

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed > 4

E: Mountain Jam > 7

E: Dazed and Confused >

E: Mountain Jam

NOTES:

1. Warren & Derek - acoustic, Oteil bass

2. setlist change due to Robert Randolph's equipment arriving late.

3. w/ Randy Brecker - trumpet

4. w/ Lenny White - drums

5. w/ Robert Randolph - pedal steel guitar; Adam Nussbaum - drums

6. w/ Stanley Clarke - guitar

7. "In A Silent Way" (tease)

Special Guests:

Stanley Clarke - guitar

Randy Brecker - trumpet

Lenny White -drums

Robert Randolph - pedal steel guitar

Adam Nussbaum - drums

Stanley Clarke on guitar? :unsure

Man, I saw him & Lenny White in the Return To Forever reunion shows last summer - one of the great concert experiences ever for me.

That second set is just way sick. I'm a huge fan of "In A Silent Way". Carlos really did well on that tune (last days of the Fillmore).

My husband will be at the Beacon this Friday and Saturday. Rumor is that Eric Clapton will be there. That should be nice. For my husband. I'll be home with the kids.

You're a trooper. :)

From what little I heard and from what I read, the run has been great.

Hoping for a nice box set treatment of some sort.

From what little I heard and from what I read, the run has been great.

Hoping for a nice box set treatment of some sort.

I can vouch for this--the run has been fantastic. I've been following along with their streaming video service and this is just some amazing stuff. The Hidden Track blog has been keeping a nice running commentary on each of the shows.

From the shows I have heard, yeah, the one with Buddy Guy and Trey/Page had the firepower (the "Southbound" is ridiculously over the top--in a good way). And the Stanley Clarke/Randy Brecker show had some gorgeous jams. But my current underdog pick of the run is the Boz Scaggs show--with the biggest surprise being that Bruce Willis (Bruce Willis??) came out to play harmonica on One Way Out and Smokestack Lightning--and he was good!!! That was a show that looks kind of meh on paper, but was a lot of fun to listen to.

The Boz Scaggs connection is that Duane played on Boz Scaggs (1969), his second solo album.

I don't have Scaggs album, but I have Duane's An Anthology and Loan Me Dime is on that. Great, great long jam.

Out of all the Allman Brothers material I have, I think I listed to Anthology the most.

Produced by Rolling Stone Magazine Founder and Editor Jann Wenner.

I found this interesting in the Wiki link...I did not know Wenner produced any records.