The Allman Brothers Band

I would think so. That is quite a roster of guests.

For the record, as for sales of individual shows goes, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the one with Kid Rock singing "Soulshine" is not going to be their top seller. :lol

:lol You gotta wonder what they were thinking there (Kid Rock). Then again, he guested at a Phish show once.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol You gotta wonder what they were thinking there (Kid Rock). Then again, he guested at a Phish show once.

Kid rock should combine "Midnight Rider" and "Seven mile island" and rap over it.

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, there is a two page article about the Beacon shows. Warren says that they did invite Betts to come and play. Also, Butch Trucks says that they are "winding down."

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, there is a two page article about the Beacon shows. Warren says that they did invite Betts to come and play. Also, Butch Trucks says that they are "winding down."

If that is true, I'm going to have a husband and some friends who are going to have some serious time on their hands come March. And some extra cash in their pockets.

Indeed! I heard a version of Sugaree that Warren sang with P&F on 7/15/01 and I'd still put it up against ANY version I've ever heard the GD do. No kidding, man - it's that powerful.

Just read the article. Pretty cool they invited Betts to play but the last interview I read with him he was pretty bitter. Getting kicked out of a band will do that.

Indeed! I heard a version of Sugaree that Warren sang with P&F on 7/15/01 and I'd still put it up against ANY version I've ever heard the GD do. No kidding, man - it's that powerful.

I'm gonna have to look that up. Are you saying the vocal is better?

I really like when Joan would sing that one, I remember her and warren did a duet at vegoose a few years back.

He sings it real good - and him & Herring just rip the thing up, trading solos.

I haven't heard this Sugaree, but I will say in general I don't care for Warren's voice. In fact, I'd probably be a bigger fan of Gov't Mule if he'd keep his mouth shut.

Again, I have not heard the version of Sugaree that you speak of.

If that is true, I'm going to have a husband and some friends who are going to have some serious time on their hands come March. And some extra cash in their pockets.

Or find a new obsession. I am becoming increasingly addicted to Derek's band. Although I have mixed feelings about the new record. It is a very coherent record and has some amazing playing and is certainly their most "accessible" (ie, conventional rock-band stuff, no 10 minute raga stuff) work. It should increase their following on the summer festival circuit, but I do hope they don't move too far away from the jazzy/instrumental stuff. The more I listen to the record, I miss that.

Although I have mixed feelings about the new record. It is a very coherent record and has some amazing playing and is certainly their most "accessible" (ie, conventional rock-band stuff, no 10 minute raga stuff) work.

Bummer, that.

I just saw this on Jambands.com:

Moogis Monday

While announcements regarding future live streams of concerts at Moogis are forthcoming, site founder Butch Trucks has confirmed that Moogis will give folks who are not current subscribers an opportunity to view individual shows from the Allman Brothers Band's epic Beacon Theatre run.

Trucks explains, "Moogis Monday will be a restream from us allowing existing subscribers to join in and be able to chat while watching the show. This element of the webcast was very entertaining for many of our subscribers so we are going to cycle through the shows every Monday free for subscribers and for $15 for new subscribers. Some have expressed that the $125 was too much for them so this will allow them to pick and choose which show they want to see. We will post the dates and guests on the Moogis social site. That site is free so anyone can check it to see what show and who will be playing on what Mondays.

Moogis Monday is NOT starting today, although it likely will begin next Monday, April 20.

I just saw this on Jambands.com:

:blink That is so cool I can't find words to describe...

The new Guitar Player magazine (Woodstock issue, Jimi on cover) has a Derek Trucks interview. He confirms that Dickey Betts was invited to play at the Beacon shows, as was everyone they could think of who had any connection to the band. He also says he's leaving the Allmans in the "very near future". Oh, and the flatted 9th is a very important note to him.

The new Guitar Player magazine (Woodstock issue, Jimi on cover) has a Derek Trucks interview. He confirms that Dickey Betts was invited to play at the Beacon shows, as was everyone they could think of who had any connection to the band. He also says he's leaving the Allmans in the "very near future". Oh, and the flatted 9th is a very important note to him.

i think derek is great, but he's a one trick pony. as soon as he rocks a solo, you've seen it all with him. i bet the allmans will just to a beacon run and maybe something in the south from now on. i'm sure derek will show up for these. what else is he gonna do? he and warren really are not getting any bigger without their respective dinosaur bands.

so glad i saw then in the 90s with dickey, warren and woody. even saw the mule with woody and that was the SHIT! damn, those were great shows!

what else is he gonna do? he and warren really are not getting any bigger without their respective dinosaur bands.

I don't know about this. When Derek comes around with his band, he plays venues similar in size to what Wilco plays. I think his goal is just to play music he likes with people he likes and make an honest living doing it. I doubt he's particularly concerned with "getting big". As for what else is he going to do...well, he did play in Clapton's band and his own band was asked by Carlos Santana to open a string of dates. He also played an inaugural ball for Obama, and recently worked with a bunch of jazz artists including McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, Jack Dejohnette and Wynton Marsalis. That's just off the top of my head. What more do you want him to do? Seems to me he's living a dream musical life, yet you think he has nothing better to do than keep playing with the Allmans, who are probably ready to get off the road for good.

As for being a one trick pony, you could say the same about Eddie Van Halen. Or, for that matter, John Coltrane.

i think derek is great, but he's a one trick pony. as soon as he rocks a solo, you've seen it all with him. i bet the allmans will just to a beacon run and maybe something in the south from now on. i'm sure derek will show up for these. what else is he gonna do? he and warren really are not getting any bigger without their respective dinosaur bands.

so glad i saw then in the 90s with dickey, warren and woody. even saw the mule with woody and that was the SHIT! damn, those were great shows!

Wow, interesting take on it. Yeah, the '90s lineup was good, but kind of went to hell towards the end. The '00s version has really been something of a revelation to me. They have gotten continually better over the years and a lot of that I directly attribute to Derek. IMO, he has been the primary reason to see this band for years now. I think Warren is a heck of player, too, but anymore with him I feel like he is out to play "guitar duel" on every song and that gets a little old, sometimes. I still have yet to hear him play with the Dead, but I really don't see how his style fits the Garcia mold at all...although maybe that is the point. But as long as we're generalizing, Dickey could easily be pigeonholed as the "midtempo, loping country-rock guy" and Duane I guess was a little too fond of of covering old blues songs, or something. I dunno. All of those guys can flat-out play, though.

Warren and Derek and Oteil will all be fine if the Allmans play less. They're all killer musicians who can pretty much play with whomever they please. Derek's band seems to be the most likely to carry on with a following of its own. The Mule isn't the same without Woody, but Derek's band seems to be gelling right now. One trick pony isn't how I would describe him, especially since his DTB records sound almost nothing like the ABB. I can definitely see their audience growing, although not to "huge" status. Their new record is most definitely a stab a wider accessibility (for better or for worse), so I'm not at all surprised to hear that he plans to leave the ABB. He'll be fine. He is still growing and developing as a player and I hope he continues to do so.

I don't know about this. When Derek comes around with his band, he plays venues similar in size to what Wilco plays. I think his goal is just to play music he likes with people he likes and make an honest living doing it. I doubt he's particularly concerned with "getting big". As for what else is he going to do...well, he did play in Clapton's band and his own band was asked by Carlos Santana to open a string of dates. He also played an inaugural ball for Obama, and recently worked with a bunch of jazz artists including McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, Jack Dejohnette and Wynton Marsalis. That's just off the top of my head. What more do you want him to do? Seems to me he's living a dream musical life, yet you think he has nothing better to do than keep playing with the Allmans, who are probably ready to get off the road for good.

As for being a one trick pony, you could say the same about Eddie Van Halen. Or, for that matter, John Coltrane.

good points.

point of interest. up north, we called ABB the Allmans. down south they call them 'the brothers.' same thing with widespread and 'panic'

Wow, interesting take on it. Yeah, the '90s lineup was good, but kind of went to hell towards the end. The '00s version has really been something of a revelation to me. They have gotten continually better over the years and a lot of that I directly attribute to Derek. IMO, he has been the primary reason to see this band for years now. I think Warren is a heck of player, too, but anymore with him I feel like he is out to play "guitar duel" on every song and that gets a little old, sometimes. I still have yet to hear him play with the Dead, but I really don't see how his style fits the Garcia mold at all...although maybe that is the point. But as long as we're generalizing, Dickey could easily be pigeonholed as the "midtempo, loping country-rock guy" and Duane I guess was a little too fond of of covering old blues songs, or something. I dunno. All of those guys can flat-out play, though.

Warren and Derek and Oteil will all be fine if the Allmans play less. They're all killer musicians who can pretty much play with whomever they please. Derek's band seems to be the most likely to carry on with a following of its own. The Mule isn't the same without Woody, but Derek's band seems to be gelling right now. One trick pony isn't how I would describe him, especially since his DTB records sound almost nothing like the ABB. I can definitely see their audience growing, although not to "huge" status. Their new record is most definitely a stab a wider accessibility (for better or for worse), so I'm not at all surprised to hear that he plans to leave the ABB. He'll be fine. He is still growing and developing as a player and I hope he continues to do so.

also good points. i really liked oteil with page mconnell's band vida blue. their first album was good.

good points.

point of interest. up north, we called ABB the Allmans. down south they call them 'the brothers.' same thing with widespread and 'panic'

I was born a little north of Boston, but have lived almost my whole life in Atlanta. Most of my friends that I used to go see the ABB with called the them "the brothers". I think I did too, back then (the '90s Warren & Dicky era). Now I call them the Allmans. Maybe I'm becoming more northern.

Northerners refer to Widespread Panic as Panic? Interesting. I guess that makes more sense than just calling them Widespread, which is how I most often hear people refer to them. That's sort of like referring to the Dead as Grateful.

I was born a little north of Boston, but have lived almost my whole life in Atlanta. Most of my friends that I used to go see the ABB with called the them "the brothers". I think I did too, back then (the '90s Warren & Dicky era). Now I call them the Allmans. Maybe I'm becoming more northern.

Northerners refer to Widespread Panic as Panic? Interesting. I guess that makes more sense than just calling them Widespread, which is how I most often hear people refer to them. That's sort of like referring to the Dead as Grateful.

i always forget you're in atlanta:) up north we called WSP 'widespread'. down here they call them 'panic'. the dead are the dead :stunned

i always forget you're in atlanta:) up north we called WSP 'widespread'. down here they call them 'panic'. the dead are the dead :stunned

I went to Kentucky once with some friends to see the dead in 1993. For a little while we were behind a pickup truck that had the lettering on the trunk hatch changed from Toyota (or whatever it was) to PANIC. We thought that was pretty cool.