The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

We were having a little debate as to what the FINAL SONG might be. I went with a double encore of Mountain Jam and WTCBU

I would have thought it would be Whipping Post:

Allman Brothers Band

Beacon Theatre, October 28, 2014

Set I: Little Martha, Mountain Jam, Don’t Want You No More, It’s Not My Cross to Bear, One Way Out, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Midnight Rider, The High Cost of Low Living, Hot ‘Lanta, Blue Sky, You Don’t Love Me

Set II: Statesboro Blues, Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More, Black Hearted Woman, The Sky is Crying, Dreams, Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed > JaBuMaOt > In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

Set III: Melissa, Revival, Southbound, Mountain Jam (reprise) > Will the Circle Be Unbroken > Mountain Jam

Enc: Whipping Post, Trouble No More

Wonder if XM will be playing the whole show --- definitely will purchase the soundboard -- or at the very least will sign up for audience Vine --- the set list looks impressive.

My understanding from the way they announced the times today is that they are playing the entire show.  We'll soon see.  I'll be in my car at noon ready to listen as I drive to Portchester.

Enjoy the drive.

Great way to drive! I landed at the Portchester hotel a little into the third set. Thought about staying in the car but I came inside. Great show! David Fricke has a nice piece about it in Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/the-allman-brothers-band-take-a-final-bow-at-epic-beacon-theatre-show-20141029

From the aforementioned article by Fricke/ RS

During the intermissions, a curious message appeared on the large video screen behind the band: "The road indeed goes on forever. So stay calm, eat a peach and carry on . . ."

I like it!

I don't know if I would agree with his statement about "half their show". I guess someone could do a song by song breakdown.

In an interview with Ticket Sarasota, former Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts commented on the band’s retirement as well as his memories of Duane Allman. Betts, currently touring with his band Great Southern, said that the band’s retirement “makes it easier on my band because half their show is shit I wrote, which I do in my show now.”

Betts also went on to say, “I don’t have to do Gregg Allman songs. It will be easier as far as people understanding. I kind of question whether to say this or not, but it’s almost like the Allman Brothers turned into an Allman Brothers tribute band.”

The guitarist also fondly recalled his time with Duane Allman, saying, “Duane and I used to have a little wine and we’d sit and talk about how screwed up it is that every good band you get together, the guitar players start getting jealous of each other and start trying to hotdog out each other and ruin the whole thing. Duane and I had an understanding, like an old soul kind of understanding, of let’s play together. And then I wrote ‘Elizabeth Reed,’ and instead of Duane being jealous of it, he said, ‘That is the greatest thing, man.’”

I had the good fortune to take a last-min trip from Texas to NY for the show (got in at 4p Tuesday, flew back at 6am Wed) and it was, indeed, a barn burner.  I'm not a huge ABB fan and mainly went to support a buddy of mine who has seen them over 100 times, but I must say that show was really special.  Plus, I had never taken the NY subway at 2:30am before - that in itself was quite an experience...

So I listened to my Eat a Peach CD today. Never realized there was a Butch Trucks in the band back then. I figured he had to be related to Derek. A quick google search confirmed that he was his uncle. Not a HUGE Allmans fan, but surprised I'd never figured that out before.

I don't agree with that. They have had many members since 1971-1972 (when the first two original members died.)  As of the other night they still had three original members.

Yep. But Jaimoe was gone for a brief spell, unfortunately.

So I listened to my Eat a Peach CD today. Never realized there was a Butch Trucks in the band back then. I figured he had to be related to Derek. A quick google search confirmed that he was his uncle. Not a HUGE Allmans fan, but surprised I'd never figured that out before.

By now you probably know Butch was an original member of the band.

BTW, the final show is available foe download at ABBLive.com. I listened to most of it on Sirius while driving to Portchester, gonna make the purchase as soon as I finish my morning coffee and pre-order the Portchester Road Cases.

By now you probably know Butch was an original member of the band.

BTW, the final show is available foe download at ABBLive.com. I listened to most of it on Sirius while driving to Portchester, gonna make the purchase as soon as I finish my morning coffee and pre-order the Portchester Road Cases.

Did you get the regular flac or the flac-hd?

I am have not bought it, yet - curious to know if there is a noticeable difference.

Did you get the regular flac or the flac-hd?

I am have not bought it, yet - curious to know if there is a noticeable difference.

I bought the regular flac. I've never been able yet to get the 24 bit hd thing figured out. Burned audio from the flacs, playing now on my Rotel, sounds great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the regular flac. I've never been able yet to get the 24 bit hd thing figured out. Burned audio from the flacs, playing now on my Rotel, sounds great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got it --- I don't know how to burn 24 bit either -- I just plug in my hard drive to my OPPO player and play 24 bit stuff that way.

I don't burn much music onto discs anymore.

XM radio is replaying it today at noon (central time) - so I got plans for that. The XM feeds typically don't sound all that great, though.

Dickey's is a Dickey...but he is right about the ABB being a tribute band.

Alan Paul's recent article in the Wall Street Journal described how Duane was the leader and created a template to follow after his passing. There were ups and downs along the way, but they stayed true to his vision til the end. The Rolling Stones are much more of a tribute band than the Allmans were at the end. The shows I saw this past spring at the Beacon were among the greatest rock concerts I've ever attended. If you can't appreciate that, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying to say that you're a complete failure and suck at life, just that I don't think you would be very much fun to hang out with. Sorry about your luck.